Phoenix Spitfire GP/EP 50-61cc Scale 1:4 ARF (PH171) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 26, 2017, 12:17 AM
Night_Crawler
New Product

Phoenix Spitfire GP/EP 50-61cc Scale 1:4 ARF (PH171)

I've been on the hunt for a reasonable AFT spitfire in the 1/6 scale and up when this one caught my eye. Be interested to know if anyone knows much about it. It Looks like a new model as Phoenix's utube video was only released few weeks ago, and they have yet to release a flight video.

I had a good look online (very little info about it) and on RC groups( no threads I could find) so I started this one.

Phoenix Models link
http://www.phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=636

Basic stats (see link for full info)
- Wingspan: 2410mm (95 in)
- Length: 2177mm (86 in)
- Flying weight: 12kg-13kg
- Wing area: 96 dm2
- Wing loading: 125g/dm2
Features:
- Superb flying characteristics, plus an accurate scale outline
- Functional panel flaps
- Slide Canopy with full scale details Cockpit (included)
- Operational cockpit side-doors
- Scale Pilot figure (included)
- Heavy Duty Air Retract With CNC Suspension Metal Struts (included)
- Air Valve system with air horse and air one way valve (included)
- Quick-connector air horse (included)
- Two-pieces Wing - Making assembly and transport super convenient
- Designed for compatibility with both GP and EP flight
- High-quality hardware package included

Looks like a real nice plane with lots scale details, (like sliding canopy and canopy door, gun ammo bulges, wing coolers etc). So far what I've seen has impressed me. (not perfect, they never are, but it's in the ballpark)They have made a bigger effort on this one with scale details over their norm. I also like the flat finish and panel details and paint scheme.

The Phoenix planes are known to be well build and good fliers but not always particularly scale looking. Good for those of us with a tighter budget Phoenix tend to have been simpler and cheaper as a result. And the reality is larger scale is costly to enter. This one is pretty damn good looking IMHO , with even more scale detail than the hangar 9 30cc spit (which is also a nice ARF kit) AND looks well designed. I'm sure it will be priced accordingly, as its larger and more detailed.

Some other similar comparable planes would be

Black Horse Spitfires
Two sizes: (1/5 and 1/6)
Wingspan: 2,000 mm (78.74 in) (Model: BH136)
Wingspan: 1,730 mm (68.11 in) (Model:BH149)

Hangar 9 (1/5 size) Spitfire Mk IXc 30cc ARF 81" (HAN4495)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...cc-arf-han4495

The other smaller phoenix spits , Seagull models and the Kyosho 1400mm

So far those are the only ones I looked at in detail. I was considering the Hangar 9 (price and availability in NZ/AUS and looks/design). Now this one could be an option. I really like the Blackhorse planes but availability and buying in NZ doesn't look great.
(and prices are higher downunder (taxes and freight)

What your thoughts on this plane?

Paul

Here is the video on this plane from Phoenix Models
SPITFIRE GP/EP Size 50-61cc Scale 1:4 ¾ ARF PH171 PHOENIXMODEL (1 min 43 sec)
Last edited by paulsmnz; Feb 26, 2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added links, and photos
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 12:04 AM
Onward and upward.
Hmnn......... looks to be a Mk XIV maybe, with the Griffon engine?
Jun 09, 2017, 08:24 PM
Onward and upward.
Good looking aeroplane. I'm keeping my eye on this one.
Aug 05, 2017, 09:47 AM
Failure is not an option
I am seriously considering this Spitfire. The size is just what I'm looking for. Phoenix Models does build a strong airframe. The scale details are very nice. I was comparing this to the Top Flight Giant Scale arfs. I am leaning towards this because of the scale details, this includes pneumatic main gear retract system, and a two piece wing which is important to me for transport. (I don't have a trailer and the wingspan is 95".) Priced out it comes in about $700.00 dollars less than the TF P-47.
Tower Hobbies has a late August stock date. They usually have a $50.00 off coupon for over $499.00 purchases. Maybe the customer service department will do a little better by talking with them, you will also get e-cash from tower that can be used towards the motor in addition to a coupon. I would use a Dle 61 motor. That would put the motor around $370.00. About $970.00 for the kit and motor with retracts sounds pretty good to me.
The flying video is out now on both the Tower and Phoenix sites.
Aug 05, 2017, 09:50 AM
Failure is not an option
Here is the link to the manual.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/manuals/...821_manual.pdf
Aug 05, 2017, 09:52 AM
Failure is not an option
Link to the Phoenix site Spitfire page.

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=636
Aug 28, 2017, 01:03 AM
Not really a fan of the nose shape on this Phoenix offering. Looks a bit wonky because the canopy shape isn't correct for the nose.
This looks like a mark xiv, but should have the tear shape bubble canopy.
With the mark ix canopy, the spinner position is designed too low on this model and the front end of the cowl is curved downward to compensate. Wheels are way too small. Overall a nice option, but to me looks like a mix of two distinctly different mark variants.
Last edited by Katniss; Aug 28, 2017 at 01:12 AM.
Sep 21, 2017, 11:00 AM
I have written a page on my web site and attempted to gather all the info in one spot.http://www.rc-airplanes-simplified.c...-spitfire.html
Please take a look and please give me your comments, both positive and negative. There is a link to Tower on the page but I do not receive any commission on Tower sales. I do make a little cash on the Google and Amazon ads.
Oct 10, 2017, 08:56 AM
Professioanial Pilot G550

Unboxing SPITFIRE GP/EP Size 50-61cc Scale 1:4 ARF PH171 PHOENIXMODEL

Unboxing Phoenix PH171 61CC Spitfire Part 1 (4 min 51 sec)
Oct 11, 2017, 11:56 AM
Nice review, thanks. Mine is on backorder and will be following your build.
Oct 11, 2017, 12:13 PM
Build continued.... DLE61CC installed. Engine plug and play. Install air bottle kinda tight going in install bottle before rudder servo. I use a soldering iron to remove covering on horizontal tail slot.
Last edited by ninod; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:54 PM
Hi

Are you going to use that spinner?
Nov 03, 2017, 04:47 AM

Ph171 spinner

Im planning on using the stock spinner that came with it.