AMA Expo East 2017 - RCGroups.com Coverage - RC Groups

AMA Expo East 2017 - RCGroups.com Coverage

RCG sent Miss Ashely New Jersey to check out AMA's East coast show! Here is her report from Friday.

Splash

AMA East!

I finally made it! After 15 grueling hours I am here in Secaucus, NJ, home of the AMA Expo East. Formerly known as the (RAM) show, the expo hosts all kinds of businesses in the RC hobby. This was my first time at the east expo so I had to feel things out.

With all this excitement from the first day, I hope tomorrow can keep up. Tomorrow I'm going to try and interview Sal Calvagna. He built the Sikorsky inspired "Ilya Muromets".

See you all tomorrow!

Thread Tools
Feb 25, 2017, 06:11 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Yellowspider's Avatar

Nice Pics


Great shots. Thanks. Myself and a few fellow pilots are heading up in 40 mins. For the record They have had the pond for the past 3 years I think. First year it leaked so bad they had to drain it and reset it over night. Still it is has been a neat addition. Also the rocket build is better than the little AMA plane that they were doing for years when it was under WRAM, nice to see a change there. Looks like the kiddies are having a blast. (no pun intended) Also just to see big rockets for sale is to cool. Okay have to hit the shower boys will be here soon.
Thanks
Dave
Feb 25, 2017, 10:19 PM
Registered User
Pretty good show, Im lucky enough to be 12 miles away from the expo center so Im there often to check out different shows. It was nice to have some experts on hand to discuss the legality of where and when we fly. I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of vendors this year, last years RAM show had many more, but it was still worth the admission fee. Saving 3$ a bottle on my favorite glue, Foam Tac, was worth it alone!
Feb 25, 2017, 11:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
xplaneguy's Avatar
Looks like far more fixed wing models on display at the East Coast show....a good thing! The West Coast show has more multi-rotors....not so good.
Feb 26, 2017, 07:49 AM
Imperial Pilot
DC1138's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportquattro97
Pretty good show, Im lucky enough to be 12 miles away from the expo center so Im there often to check out different shows. It was nice to have some experts on hand to discuss the legality of where and when we fly. I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of vendors this year, last years RAM show had many more, but it was still worth the admission fee. Saving 3$ a bottle on my favorite glue, Foam Tac, was worth it alone!
There were TWO hobby shops there, that's it. Every other vendor was either speciality (glue, props, landing gear, engines, batteries, connectors...). some sort of club or association or selling toy grade hobby merchandise. This is almost more of a trade show now than an actual convention. Even Horizon cheaped out and just had planes sitting on tables instead of having their entire set up (and no UMX Wildcat to show).

If you go to meet friends you only see at the show, like to scratch build or just need to kill a day, it's fun to walk around. If you're looking for merchandise you'd find in a lot of today's more "current" hobby shops and like to purchase from Horizon, Tower or other online hobby shops, don't waste your time.

The swap shop was also VERY disappointing. When you could just leave your items there and pay 10% of the sale price, people dropped off all manner of stuff. To make people pay to have a table and be stuck there the entire show (and need to bring enough to justify the cost/time), there was nothing there.
Feb 26, 2017, 08:07 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
There were TWO hobby shops there, that's it. Every other vendor was either speciality (glue, props, landing gear, engines, batteries, connectors...). some sort of club or association or selling toy grade hobby merchandise. This is almost more of a trade show now than an actual convention. Even Horizon cheaped out and just had planes sitting on tables instead of having their entire set up (and no UMX Wildcat to show).

If you go to meet friends you only see at the show, like to scratch build or just need to kill a day, it's fun to walk around. If you're looking for merchandise you'd find in a lot of today's more "current" hobby shops and like to purchase from Horizon, Tower or other online hobby shops, don't waste your time.

The swap shop was also VERY disappointing. When you could just leave your items there and pay 10% of the sale price, people dropped off all manner of stuff. To make people pay to have a table and be stuck there the entire show (and need to bring enough to justify the cost/time), there was nothing there.
What was your overall impression on attendance?

Mike
Feb 26, 2017, 09:38 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Yellowspider's Avatar
I went I saw I learned and spent a whole lot less than I usually spend. Hey more money for Lebanon swap meet on the 11th.

First impressions was the civil air patrol kids getting involved. They were making sure everyone got a bag with a program and some other stuff inside. They did not miss a single person. Nice touch.

When I walked in with my friends I was like wow. it looked empty as far as vendors. We always hit the swap shop first, so heading over that way I was like what swap shop? It was more of a flea market, a very small one. Well we looked it over than headed out too the main floor.

What I pretty much noticed right away was they rotated the entire layout. The isles used to go from the left side of the room to the right side. They were real wide and you never had a problem getting to the tables to see the wares for sale and to actually talk to the vendor. By the time we got about halfway through it seemed we went back to WRAM in Westchester ny as the crowd overwhelmed the narrow isle again. Some were shoulder to shoulder cant get to a table or ask questions because some people just want to stand there and do nothing. Not moving or much of anything. They really need to go back to the format WRAM had setup when they moved from NY to NJ. It was so much better. I do want to thank the AMA for taking this on, but just have to tweak a few things and hopefully some more vendors will come back in. The swap shop has to be returned to the way it was or better. There were always so many planes and RC related items it was great. I'm guessing the 10 percent must not have been an issue as the shelf's were always packed full of goods.

For the record. Go out to eat lunch. The center food is NASTY. I lived I learned. Not AMAs fault.

It was neat for the AMA to have the little stage set up with speakers. It was nice to listen to Hoot. and others.

the model rockets thing was a great change from the little AMA plane. The kids seemed to love it. Good job AMA

I will be back god willing, and maybe if I can get to the tables spend more money. Hey we have to buy to offset the cost of vendors coming right? If we cant get to the goods we cant buy them.

The static display was well thought out and set up perfect with some beautiful planes , cars and helis. Miss Ashley did an awesome job taking those beautiful pictures. thanks Ashley

This is just my two cents. I would like to here what other thought.

Thanks
Dave
Feb 26, 2017, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Kruzr11803's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Even Horizon cheaped out and just had planes sitting on tables instead of having their entire set up (and no UMX Wildcat to show).
According to Horizon's social media accounts their display was "diverted due to a major shipping error".

Overall this show was a disappointment. I understand it being the first year and overcoming the stigma of what the WRAMS had let it become. Had it not been for the glider association, Rhinebeck, and the 10 or so AMA booths scattered around this show would have been half as small again. With the success of West you'd think the AMA could have used the community aspect they were harping on at the 8am seminar to get some vendors onboard for East and give it the kick it needed to be good again.
Feb 26, 2017, 10:53 AM
Imperial Pilot
DC1138's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
What was your overall impression on attendance?

Mike
I was only at the show for about 3 hours yesterday (open until about 1:00pm), but attendance itself seemed pretty good. My LHS, Gallimods, was overwhelmed with sales, though I suspect this is because he was one of the two hobby shops there with "off the shelf" r/c products and was by far the better displayed and priced of the two. I can't say how sales were otherwise, but people seemed to have things in their hands as they were walking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr11803
According to Horizon's social media accounts their display was "diverted due to a major shipping error".

Overall this show was a disappointment. I understand it being the first year and overcoming the stigma of what the WRAMS had let it become. Had it not been for the glider association, Rhinebeck, and the 10 or so AMA booths scattered around this show would have been half as small again. With the success of West you'd think the AMA could have used the community aspect they were harping on at the 8am seminar to get some vendors onboard for East and give it the kick it needed to be good again.
Major shipping error? Sounds fishy at best.

As for vendors (and attendees), I've heard that a few of them went more as a favor to the folks from the WRAM club than for anything else. As soon as WRAM was done promoting the show, some of the vendors probably were done with it too. Between the costs of the show and internet availability, there simply isn't any profit in doing shows like this anymore, so why bother?
Feb 26, 2017, 01:27 PM
Registered User
"Success of the west"? If you think the AMA west show was successful than the east show must be pretty shabby, I know one very large vendor at the west show said he will do a major downsize of his display next year, it simply isn't worth the table cost and the hassle of setup and display.
Feb 26, 2017, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Kruzr11803's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
"Success of the west"? If you think the AMA west show was successful than the east show must be pretty shabby, I know one very large vendor at the west show said he will do a major downsize of his display next year, it simply isn't worth the table cost and the hassle of setup and display.
Just going by coverage on here it's easily more active. The most active area of the whole show on Saturday was the boat pond. You also couldn't throw a dart in the place without hitting an AMA booth, easily 20% were the different factions of the organization.
Feb 26, 2017, 08:58 PM
Registered User
I was also hoping for a few more specials or deals, but seemed like the prices on the planes were pretty much MSRP, which actually was a little more considering admission. I think I saw a sport cub up for 229! Last year we got a BNF for 159. Attendance seemed pretty high, as someone mentioned the aisles were pretty tight when I was there on Saturday. It was nice to see how many people are in the hobby in this area. Its so congested its hard to find flying sites.
Feb 26, 2017, 10:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
There were TWO hobby shops there, that's it. Every other vendor was either speciality (glue, props, landing gear, engines, batteries, connectors...). some sort of club or association or selling toy grade hobby merchandise. This is almost more of a trade show now than an actual convention. Even Horizon cheaped out and just had planes sitting on tables instead of having their entire set up (and no UMX Wildcat to show).

If you go to meet friends you only see at the show, like to scratch build or just need to kill a day, it's fun to walk around. If you're looking for merchandise you'd find in a lot of today's more "current" hobby shops and like to purchase from Horizon, Tower or other online hobby shops, don't waste your time.

The swap shop was also VERY disappointing. When you could just leave your items there and pay 10% of the sale price, people dropped off all manner of stuff. To make people pay to have a table and be stuck there the entire show (and need to bring enough to justify the cost/time), there was nothing there.
Was there all three days, in part to see Hoot Gibson a true American hero. Convention hall worker said Friday was a record setter, busiest ever. Saturday was packed, as was today. The vendors there had plenty of business. If you have a good product and a fiar price your stuff will sell. Do we really need 15 vendor selling the same junk? How many different hobby shops can sell a Sport Cub? There were new faces and vendors there, the mom and pop shops and that is who I would rather give my money too. I liked the scale airplanes there too, how many hobby conventions have actual aircraft there? I liked the boat pond but it wasn't busy this year. I asked a guy there what happened and he said a few guys from teh club got sick, and a few are just too old to make the trip. I love that these guys are there to show their stuff off but also let the kids there play too. Food there has never been good, but there are 20 places to eat within 5 minute walk. Swap shop is different for sure, but the tables were all sold out, and most of those guys sold everything. One or two didnt because their prices were just stupid high, and there was really no negotiating. It was odd watching one guy pack almost all his planes up grumbling aobut the turnout when almost everyone around him sold out. Even the AMA table sold every plane for almost asking price. which was high. they said a member donated everything for them to sell. As for Horizon, nothing fishy. I asked them what happened, UPS showed up with their models and the set, but couldn't get someone to let them in, so the literally sent it all back. They had to ask the two hobby shops to borrow their stuff so they could actually show their products. They were all pretty upset about it, they always have a great presentation. I think the show was great, it's changing and not what it used to be but the club couldn't handle it anymore, and the AMA stepped in to take it over. Lot's of stuff for the kids to do there, and I haven't seen that many kids there in years. And no snow like last year was good too. If some other group wants to try to put something together and run it, have it, i'll be there too.
Feb 26, 2017, 10:50 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
dr.E's Avatar
Attendance was quite spectacular and half of the Walmart Sams club parking lot across the street was taken up by Expo attendees... Friday attendance set a record... Our club did the make and take airplanes for the kids,,,, We did over 560 gliders... You had to build one to get one....

We also brought with us the CPR/AED trainer and fair amount of people got cerified ..

Lastly...we won the D2 TAG Grant award..... Most Excellent

Excellent time...although no picture of us...


Thread Tools