Question about Anet A8 3D printer - RC Groups
Feb 25, 2017, 12:01 AM
Discussion

Question about Anet A8 3D printer

I got one of these printers about a month ago and I am very pleased with it.

The question I have is that it came with a USB cable and there is a USB socket on the Anet controller board. What is the USB interface for and what can I do with it?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2017, 02:02 PM
You can print from your PC or Laptop directly to the printer with the USB..Best to use the SD card in the event your PC or Laptop sleeps or has a windows update.
Also you don't tie up your PC or Lappy

Tom
Feb 25, 2017, 03:50 PM
I guess my question was too general and I got a general answer.

To be more specific, does it need G-code commands and what program will drive the printer. Could I download the software for a laser engraver and control the printer, assuming I change the extruder for a laser?
Feb 25, 2017, 04:37 PM
It just takes a different path, a USB cable rather than a SD card...both supply Gcode to printer.

Tom
Feb 25, 2017, 04:39 PM
Oh, and your slicer should give you the option of using a USB or SD card. I use Simplify3D and it gives me the option.

Tom
Feb 25, 2017, 09:49 PM
There are multiple ways/applications to drive your 3D printer from you PC. Pronterware, Repetier Host, Simplify3D, Cura, etc. As previously mentioned, if you want to run your printer driven by your PC, it means your PC cannot be interrupted, sleep or have anything interrupt the flow of data between the computer and the printer. Another function of the USB connection is to update your firmware in the 3D printer to change firmware settings or install new firmware.

Don