Feb 24, 2017, 06:41 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Cool

Sweet new build from a fellow club member.

A guy at my club showed up with this new build. He said the plans were 80" but he shortened the span down to 74". 9.5 lbs. flew great! It was the second flight. Can't remember the engine size, nice to see another classic at the club. can't remember the name?? Looks like a Taurus but he said it's not.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2017, 07:13 PM
RFJ
RFJ
Quote:
can't remember the name
King Altair by Vic Husak. RCM April 1967.

Ray
Feb 24, 2017, 07:16 PM
DavidsPlanes
Walt,

nice build and pics!

That's a Vic Husak King Altair. A couple of photos and RCM Article attached.

David

P.S. And Ray of course, being our resident librarian, knew that three minutes before I did! Or, at least his mouse did...
Feb 24, 2017, 08:01 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Thanks guys.
Feb 24, 2017, 08:30 PM
Hey Walt,

Tell your Buddy he did an AWESOME job.
Feb 24, 2017, 08:32 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Will do! He usually flys more 3D style planes so I was excited and surprised to see this sexy thing. classic pattern planes rule!
Mar 03, 2017, 11:03 AM
Has anyone have the plans for the King Altair?
Mar 04, 2017, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruferrit
Has anyone have the plans for the King Altair?
I redraw plans for the Italian magazine Modellismo.
You can download them and many others for free pending login here:

http://www.edimodel.it/download/area-disegni.html
Mar 04, 2017, 09:40 AM
Try this one too.
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=95910
Mar 04, 2017, 01:42 PM
You can buy the plans on eBay for $17.95, amamodels item #131563224795, Jim.
Mar 05, 2017, 04:56 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
A guy at my club showed up with this new build. He said the plans were 80" but he shortened the span down to 74". 9.5 lbs. flew great! It was the second flight. Can't remember the engine size, nice to see another classic at the club. can't remember the name?? Looks like a Taurus but he said it's not.
Walter, the club member, did he want to let the pattern plane look like an original King Altair?
I didn't see the plans that are available these days but seeing the plane it is far off the original King Altair.
Let be clear, it is a very nice ship we see but I did study the history of pattern flying, so also of the period the King.
We know several details are related to the period the original ship was flown in contests. Also details that were specific for the King Altair. I don't see these back.

To show what I mean I did some photo shopping with one of the photogrphaps of your club member.

In general the problem is, the more classic pattern ships we see and called as being the ...... the more the original models will be forgotten. Also, the more details we forget and the more all these models will look the same. Examples there are!

When people are interested in more information about the planes of Vic Husak, give a sign and I will show.

Taurus Flyer

Quick Reply