Jan 18, 2020, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasinex
What's your thoughts on using counter Rotating Master Airscrew 10 X 7 - 3 Bladed Props
You DO NOT need counter rotating props for this plane. Very few scale aircraft use counter-rotating props and this plane did not ("Propellers rotate Clockwise in view of flight direction"). 3-blade props are less efficient than 2-blade props and are generally used when prop clearance is an issue or just for appearance. A 3-blade prop with the same diameter and pitch as a 2-blade prop will produce more power. Be sure to check the power ratings (and prop size) for your motor to insure you don't burn up your motor. Most manufacturers will provide a prop chart that shows the power gained with different battery/prop combinations.
-Vic
BTW - only use "electric" props for electric motors. Standard glow engine props are heavier and will draw more current.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 19, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 08:26 AM

Props and Sizes

As mentioned just got my Twin Otter and I am New Electric Flight; reading this Thread thoroughly I find that most are using 840 to 1000 KV Motors; a range of Props have been listed it from 9 X 7-3 Blade MAS (not sure if counter rotating ); 10X7-3 Blade MAS Counter Rotating; 10X4.5 -2 Blade APC Counter Rotating; 11X5.3-2 Blade APC ; etc.; just trying to sort it out to see what works well
Jan 19, 2020, 10:07 AM

Counter Rotating Prop Question

Not saying I am going with the Counter Rotating Prop Option; just need to have something clarified; for those that are using the Master Airscrew 10X7-3 Blade Props https://www.masterairscrew.com/collections/3-blade/10 ; looking towards the plane are you using the Normal Rotation CCW on the Right and the one 'Rev/Pusher' on the Left and rotating it CW, so both would be rotating towards the Fuselage thus Counter Rotating?

Additionally; for the ones that have stated they are using Master Airscrew 9X7 or 10X7-3 Blade Props, same rotation or counter rotation; are the props used the ones listed here that say they are suitable for Glow or Electric https://www.masterairscrew.com/collections/3-blade/10

Thanks.
Last edited by dasinex; Jan 19, 2020 at 11:06 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 11:02 AM

Running wires for lights?

Hi Folks;

For those of you that have installed lighting kits, do any of you have any tips for running the wires into/through the vertical stabilizer fin for the rear beacon light? Looks possible but difficult...

The wings look pretty straight forward, and there appears to be room to fish the wires, although any tips for doing those is also very appreciated!

Cheers;
Eric
Jan 21, 2020, 07:03 PM

Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
I removed all the covering on my Twin Otter and recovered it. Lost 1/2 pound of weight by doing so. I also lowered it for a better look on the ground.
Wow....................beautiful.
Did you paint the props??????????
Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobasr
Wow....................beautiful.
Did you paint the props??????????
Thanks, yes I did paint the props.
Jan 23, 2020, 07:54 AM

ESC Placement

New to Electric Flight, been on 'WattFlyer' getting a bunch of info on E flight; a couple issues that have mixed or different opinions.

Some have suggested that it is better to locate the ESCs in the Fuselage closer to the Battery and extend the Motor Leads from the ESC to the Motors, the problem I see is proper cooling & ventilation in the fuselage for the ESCs.

Others suggested extend the Battery Leads from the Battery in the Fuselage to the ESCs in the wings, about 12"; however, it has been suggested that extending the Power Leads to the ESCs is bad, can lead to ESC failure, and some countered this problem by installing Capacitor Packs at or just before the ESCs where the Power leads enter the ESCs.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/CSE0110...SABEgJHj_D_BwE

Appreciate some thoughts, opinions and feedback from the actual experience of the Twotter Builders
Jan 23, 2020, 08:09 AM
I have been flying twin electric powered planes for many years and also had the VQ Twin Otter. This topic has lots of coverage here on RCG as well as Wattflyer. Sometimes the engineers get a little deep with their explanations so I will put it in simple terms.

It is not good to extend the leads from the battery to the ESC. Ripple currents develop that can destroy the capacitors and electronic parts in the ESC. Manufacturers recommend no extensions greater than about 10 inches from the battery to the ESC without adding additional capacitors. Extensions from the ESC to the motor are not generally harmful and longer lengths can be tolerated without damage to the ESC.

I mounted my ESCs in the nacelles of the Twin Otter and extended the leads to the battery mounted in the fuse under the pilot seat. The extension was around 10 inches. I had no problems with the ESCs after 20+ flights (sold to make room in my hangar).

Just my 2 cents.
-Vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 23, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:33 AM
Hey Vic;

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking, ESCs in Nacelles would get better cooling & ventilation, your diagram suggests the other way around with the Motor leads being extended, but I get the point your making and your practical experience with your Twotter; if I don't mind the expense, extra work and if room in the Nacelles permitted, would it be overkill to try the Cap Packs as suggested?

Thanks.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Hey Vic;

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking, ESCs in Nacelles would get better cooling & ventilation, your diagram suggests the other way around with the Motor leads being extended, but I get the point your making and your practical experience with your Twotter; if I don't mind the expense, extra work and if room in the Nacelles permitted, would it be overkill to try the Cap Packs as suggested?

Thanks.
Data point for your evaluation.

I have 7 twins. 3 Deuces Wild, Hanger 9 Twin Otter, The VQ Twin Otter, an OV-10, and a Great Planes Twinstar.

All of them have Cap Packs installed because they have long battery leads.

Because my Twins are rare, and in most cases no longer in production, I chose to err on the side of caution.

FWIW ...
Jan 23, 2020, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch

I have 7 twins. 3 Deuces Wild, Hanger 9 Twin Otter, The VQ Twin Otter, an OV-10, and a Great Planes Twinstar.

Because my Twins are rare, and in most cases no longer in production, I chose to err on the side of caution.

FWIW ...
I have no issues with anyone installing cap packs on the battery side of the ESC, specifically with long leads. It is a great precaution to take to insure no damage to the ESC.
-Vic
Jan 23, 2020, 09:36 AM
Awesome Guys, Thanks for your Help!
Jan 23, 2020, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch

FWIW ...
DGFINCH;

On your VQ Otter, was there plenty of room for a CAP PACK in the Nacelles and are using a particular CAP PACK or offer a suggestion; Thanks.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:35 PM
Quote:
DGFINCH;

On your VQ Otter, was there plenty of room for a CAP PACK in the Nacelles and are using a particular CAP PACK or offer a suggestion; Thanks.
I have 6 twins with the ESCs in the nacelles in all of them and batteries in the fuselage. I have installed cap packs on all of them. You can make your own cap packs as long as they are the same uF of the ESCs and they must be Low ESR capacitors. I used to make my own until Castle started selling Cap Packs, now I use Castles cap packs.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/cc...ck-011-0002-02
Jan 23, 2020, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
I have 6 twins with the ESCs in the nacelles in all of them and batteries in the fuselage. I have installed cap packs on all of them. You can make your own cap packs as long as they are the same uF of the ESCs and they must be Low ESR capacitors. I used to make my own until Castle started selling Cap Packs, now I use Castles cap packs.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/cc...ck-011-0002-02
Herman Munster;

Appreciate the reply, that's the CAP PACK I am interested in getting, trying to find out if it will fit in with the ESCs in Nacelles of the VQ Twin Otter

Quick Reply