DFS#000178
Discussion

VQ Twin Otter Series 100

Anyone seen this yet?

Link

Length : 1370mm / 53.94 inches
Wingspan : 1870mm / 73.6 inches
Weight : 3200 – 3400 grams / Approx 7-7.5 lbs
Radio : 6 channels with 6 servos ( 4 x Micro 19grams – 2 x Standard servo )
Power : 2x Boost 25 Motor with Battery 4500mAh x 11,1v (3s)

I think my VMAR Twin Otter's going to be getting a big brother soon.

Just went to the top of my "I NEED THIS" list.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2017, 03:16 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
You saw that one, too! It looks really nice and they have an optional float kit, as well

Kman
Feb 24, 2017, 03:53 PM
DFS#000178
It does look fantastic. The landing gear stance looks a little tall but that wouldn't be hard to fix at all.

The rest of the scale detailing makes it really super nice and the fact that it's a Series 100 makes it all the better.

73" span is a good wingspan. Puts it firmly between the VMAR and ESM and the Hangar 9 but still uses economical 25-size motors and a pair of 2200 3S packs.

Looks very very good to me!
Mar 26, 2017, 12:56 PM
Where can I get this
Mar 30, 2017, 11:17 AM
IWC
IWC
Contact Info
PO BOX 3512

Bryan, TX 77805

Email: info@vqwarbirds.com
Web: vqwarbirds.com
Apr 04, 2017, 10:55 PM
Placed an order, the VQ guy said expect to be shipped late next week
Apr 21, 2017, 04:33 PM
This one is certianly on my radar. I left a VM with VQ to see if they had an exact date. No word yet. Really like the float option on this one.
Apr 22, 2017, 12:24 AM
Anyone know or can make a guess as to how much of this plane is foam?
Apr 22, 2017, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Anyone know or can make a guess as to how much of this plane is foam?
Zero...

http://www.vqmodel.com/NewVQModel_25...25size_ep.html

Kman
Apr 22, 2017, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Really?! This is from their website: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-dh...3/#prettyPhoto[product-gallery]/3
Quote:
VQ WARBIRDS is proud to introduce the new DHC-6 TWIN OTTER 73″ wingspan EP Model.
I took EP as meaning "expanded polystyrene". I was hoping for a "foamie". I had the Hanger 9 Twin Otter - didn't like it - too heavy. If this isn't a foamie, I guess I'm not interested.
Apr 22, 2017, 03:17 AM
DFS#000178
No it's not foam. It's all balsa/ply and covered. EP just means Electric Powered.

That said, if it's built like the VMAR Twin Otter--and it probably is since I'm convinced they're the same company, there probably IS foam on the inside of the main gear fairings so you can glue them to the fuselage with foamtac or hot glue.

So I guess that means it is about 1/10th of a percent foam?
Apr 22, 2017, 10:19 AM
No foam listed on manufacturer's product description...

Features:
- All Balsa and lite-ply construction
- Fiberglass Colwing
- Fiberglass Nose
- Control surfaces pre-hinged and installed
- Two piece wing with Aluminium Wing Joiner
- Very Short Aassembly Time
- Everything is Prefabricated
- Factory-Covered with Highly Detailed Film

But if you really worried about weight, don't be because this size of plane coming in at 7-7.5 lbs is not a bad number

Kman
Apr 22, 2017, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I was hoping for a "foamie". I had the Hanger 9 Twin Otter - didn't like it - too heavy. If this isn't a foamie, I guess I'm not interested.
In most cases, lighter is better for model airplanes. However, that also means they don't handle wind very well. I prefer a medium weight, balsa built-up plane as they tend to handle the wind better and are not as prone to hangar rash and "fingernail" damage.
-Vic
Apr 22, 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
No it's not foam. It's all balsa/ply and covered. EP just means Electric Powered.

That said, if it's built like the VMAR Twin Otter--and it probably is since I'm convinced they're the same company, there probably IS foam on the inside of the main gear fairings so you can glue them to the fuselage with foamtac or hot glue.

So I guess that means it is about 1/10th of a percent foam?
It's too bad. I prefer a large foamie and I would have jumped on this if it was. I figured if they can make a 2 meter foam Cub and T-28, a Twin Otter can't be far away. I won't do all wood, composite and covered anymore.
Apr 22, 2017, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
In most cases, lighter is better for model airplanes. However, that also means they don't handle wind very well. I prefer a medium weight, balsa built-up plane as they tend to handle the wind better and are not as prone to hangar rash and "fingernail" damage.
-Vic
My old CZ Cub and my current CZ T-28 handles wind as high as I care to fly in. As for hanger rash and other handling damage, I can live with that. What I can't handle is fixing a wood plane after even a minor "boo-boo". I buy them to fly them and not so much to look at them on the ground. In the air, hanger rash can't be seen anyway.