Oct 07, 2004, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

Pilatus PC-6 "Porter" for IPS Power

Here's anothr one I've been threatening to do for years, and finally got around to it.
The model is a 40" span, 200 sq. in. Tubo porter for GWS IPS drives. Construction is typical "stick frame" and will be covered with Nelso Litefilm.
A 4:1 drive will be used with an 8-6 prop for initial testing. Then, I'll try a 6:1 drive with a 7", 3 blade prop, cut down from the GWS 9-7. The model will be 3 channel, for rudder, elevator and throttle, with a 5A ESC and a 700 2c Lipo. Target weight is around 8 oz.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2004, 09:26 AM
Thread OP

Basic Framing

The basic airframe is built from 1/8 sq, 1/16 x 1/8 and 1/16 sq. balsa, with the ribs and formers cut from 1/16 sheet. The fuselage is built up with side frames and formers, stringered on the top and bottom. The main landing gear was bent from .046 wire, the tailwheel will be made up from .032 wire.
Oct 07, 2004, 09:39 AM
Thread OP

Wings and Tail

The tail section on the Porter is as about as simple as it gets, so there really isn't much needs to be said.
The wing is framed using a vertical spar. The ribs are 1/16 sq. on the bottom and cut sections over the top, with 1/16 sq. diagonal bracing. Eventually, the wing will be bolted on, with semi functional lift struts.
Oct 07, 2004, 09:44 AM
As usual Pat this looks great. I love my little porter!

Mike
Oct 07, 2004, 09:52 AM
Thread OP

Servo and Motor Mounts

The servos are mounted on rails in the aft cabin, and will be accessed through a hatch on the fuselage bottom. The motor mount is a simple stick, gessetted on the back of the firewall. The cowl was carved from blue foam.
The rudder will be controlled by kevlar pull/pull cables. The elevator will use a Sullivan #507 tube and a .032 pushrod.
The next step will be to work out the wing attachment details and finish running in the control hook-ups. Once that's done, it'll be time to cover.
PAT
Oct 07, 2004, 11:01 AM
Neophyte hacker
Pat,

Looks great! At least I have some breathing room before you get the next one out the door

charlie
Oct 07, 2004, 04:00 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Beautiful bird!

I have always wanted to do a PP ever since I saw one of them flying from rough airfields in the Himalayas...

Where did you obtain the plan for this one - or is it your own construction?

Ben_E
Oct 07, 2004, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Ben, This is the P-type for my new design. A few years ago I saw video of the Porter doing max performance T.O. and landings and it was nothing short of spectacular. Since then I've wanted to do one -- and the time has come!
PAT
Oct 07, 2004, 10:13 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
looks great, more stick and tissue than the plan i downloaded.
Oct 08, 2004, 06:55 AM
Dang Pat, you beat me to it. I've had plans half drawn on mine for a while, guess I'll stop now. Seriously though, it looks fantastic. Whats your paint scheme gonna be? Mine was gonna be in Mount Cook Airline colors with some skis. Can't wait to see it finished.

Dave
Oct 08, 2004, 07:10 AM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Turbo Porter has always been a favourite of mine. Here's one of those max performance takeoff's. The plane is a demonstrator brought over from Switzerland to help sell the joint Pilatus-Fairchild collaboration.
Oct 08, 2004, 06:45 PM
Thread OP

Framing is Finished

The last of the framing and detail sanding is finished, and the Porter is ready for cover.
I'll be covering the model with Lightfilm and trimming in sign vinyl. The color scheme will be overall white with red, orange and yellow trim. Will be fairly simple, yet should show up well in the air.
PAT
Oct 09, 2004, 12:40 AM
H2OFLY
Pat,

Looks very light...what do you expect the weight to be, not counting the battery?

Terry
Oct 09, 2004, 01:41 AM
wot?! No flaps or ailerons!?
Oct 09, 2004, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Terry, Just guessing, I'd say the Porter will tip the scales at about 7.5 - 8 oz, RTF. That will put the wing loading in the 5.5 oz/sq ft range. Using the 4:1 drive and 8-6 prop, the climb performance should be fairly respectable.
Huck, No flaps or ailerons? Not on the p-type, but I'll just bet there's a clever modeler out ther somewhere that will flatten the wing and get it done -- where are you Charlie, are you listening??? Adding both should be a fairly simple task, given that both use a common hinge spar.
PAT

Quick Reply