Extreme Flight 74" Slick 580 EXP - RC Groups

Extreme Flight 74" Slick 580 EXP

Ben Fisher provides us with some new information on the Extreme Flight 74" Slick 580 EXP. This is a 74" Extreme Flight plane that is super light weight.

Splash

Extreme Flight is proud to announce the 74" Slick 580 EXP ARF.

Using design and construction technology from Jase Dussia's 120CC Slick 580 EXP, the 74" features a new generation of light, strong EXP construction. We've radically expanded the use of composites, drawing on our experience from 120CC, which has allowed us to create a highly styled appearance along with very light weight.

For gasoline power, we recommend the DA-35 engine, and we have pre-marked the firewall for this engine. Many gas engines 30-35CC are appropriate, and the firewall also has "crosshair" markings to align these various templates. If installing the DA-35, the standoffs included with the engine are the correct length. A 12, 14, or 17 oz. Extreme Flight Flowmaster fuel tank is recommended.

For electric power, we recommend the XPWR 30CC brushless outrunner motor and an 80-120 amp HV ESC, providing approximately 3000-3200 watts. Our choice is the Castle Creations Edge series. The 74" Slick 580 airframe is equipped with a custom mounting location for the Edge controllers. With the XPWR 30CC, we recommend 12S 3000-3700mah lipo batteries and a 19x8, 19x10, or 20x8 electric prop.

Extreme Flight will soon be releasing the BlazingStar STANDARD-LONG adjustable standoff kit to perfectly mount the XPWR 30CC motor into this airframe, or anywhere sized for a DA-35 installation. The firewall of the 74" Slick 580 EXP is also pre-marked for the XPWR 30CC bolt pattern to add convenience.

Several other 10-12S power systems 2500-3000 watts are also appropriate.

The Slick 580 EXP requires 4 full-size metal-gear servos, 275 oz-inches or more recommended. We tested with MKS HV1220 servos. If using gas power, add one servo for throttle control, which does not need to be high torque, although high speed is beneficial.

The spinner size is 3.5 inches diameter. Note that the XPWR 30CC requires a perimeter-bolt style spinner or a center-bolt adaptor.

The Slick requires:

• (2) Extreme Flight 1.5" Servo Arms for M3 hardware
  • (1) Extreme Flight 2.0" Servo Arm for M3 hardware
  • (1) Extreme Flight 4.0" Servo Arm for M3 hardware

Servo extensions are:

• 1 x 24" elevator
  • 4 x 6" for ailerons
  • 1 x 12" for throttle or ESC

More Specs:

• The Length of the Slick is 71.5" with spinner
  • The height of the rudder sitting on the tailwheel is 19"
  • The span of the elevators is 30"
  • The wing area 1070 square inches

The weight of the aircraft, from our test builds, is 10.5 lbs for gas, and 11 for electric. These are real weights anyone can achieve. Our precise test build weight for DA-35 with pitts muffler and 60gram throttle servo was 10lb. 3 ounces, using a very small Rx battery. Our precise test build weight for XPWR 30CC and 12S 3300mah Pulse 45C was 10 lb. 8 oz.

This provides the XPWR 30CC version with 300 watts per pound of weight, which is stellar power level. This airframe does not need a larger electric power system, and our strong recommendation is for the XPWR 30CC.

Flight

The 74" Slick 580 borrows tech from Jase Dussia's 120CC Slick, and has been further targeted to maximize 3D stability. This is a rock-solid low-and-slow 3D platform that could easily be a 3D trainer, while retaining the abilities of its competition-winning big brother. It has very low coupling, no rock, and excellent manners, while snapping and spinning precisely and sharply. To quote Chris Hinson, CEO and chief test pilot of this project: "It 3D's like the best Edge, and has the precision of the Slick."

Slick 580 EXP Holiday Huckin 2016 (10 min 13 sec)

The 74" Slick 580 EXP is due into our Georgia warehouse on or before March 3. It will show up on the Extremeflightrc.com website next week. The price of the 74" Slick 580 is $459.95

Last edited by blucor basher; Feb 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM..
Feb 24, 2017, 12:36 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
Instruction Manual and additional pics.

In addition to extensive use of composites (both carbon and glass, as appropriate), the Slick features quick 2-bolt cowl mounting, a highly-reinforced tray with pultruded carbon tubes to back-up the strap locations, and pultruded round and square tubes in critical motor box locations.

Horizontal stab installation is now self-jigging and permanently installed into the aircraft for light weight. The stab itself has a meaty carbon spar system. The canopy hatch is double-latch, flush mount and composite-reinforced in high-stress areas.
Last edited by blucor basher; Feb 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Feb 24, 2017, 12:37 PM
So my first guess was correct.
Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 PM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
WHOAAAAAA!!!!!!

I Gotta have yet another slick now?
Feb 24, 2017, 12:53 PM
out to have fun
This plane looks amazing!!!!!!!!!
Feb 24, 2017, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman
So my first guess was correct.
You nailed it. Maybe it's Baby brother will be the 52".
Feb 24, 2017, 01:00 PM
Looks like I found myself my Birthday present to myself.
Feb 24, 2017, 01:03 PM
I'll just add, as a philosophical note, that people who are fans of both ExtremeFlightRC and 3DHobbyShop ARF's should recognize this as the best of both worlds. What you have here is essentially all the best tech of the 74" EXP line..plus all the best tech of the 74" 3DHobbyShop line...taken up to the next level of styling and strength through radical use of new-tech materials and design. This is what you get when you cross the streams. We're intensely proud of it and it points the way forward.

Now, wait til you see the production level 120CC version. UFB.
Feb 24, 2017, 01:04 PM
out to have fun
Am I correct in saying only one version are the gas and elect the same airframe?
Feb 24, 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR
You nailed it. Maybe it's Baby brother will be the 52".
I just figured they wanted to replace the 71. My other guess was an extra with the same colors as the new 52 extra. That would replace the already discontinued EF 70 extra. Then when we saw the Picts and the colors were not like the 52 I stuck with my slick prediction.
Feb 24, 2017, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Am I correct in saying only one version are the gas and elect the same airframe?
Yes.
Feb 24, 2017, 01:07 PM
So Ben am I correct in assuming one of these color schemes will be used on the 120cc slick?
Feb 24, 2017, 01:08 PM
out to have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
This is what you get when you cross the streams. We're intensely proud of it and it points the way forward.

Now, wait til you see the production level 120CC version. UFB.
You should be and I got my wallet ready.
Feb 24, 2017, 01:10 PM
db yellow or RWB for you?
Feb 24, 2017, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
What you have here is essentially all the best tech of the 74" EXP line..plus all the best tech of the 74" 3DHobbyShop line...taken up to the next level of styling and strength through radical use of new-tech materials and design. This is what you get when you cross the streams.
Looks pull pull rudder