Guillows Albatross DVa - RC Groups
Feb 24, 2017, 09:05 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
Build Log

Guillows Albatross DVa

Hello All

This is my third attempt to build a Guillows WWI model that will fly. The first was a my Fokker DVII, which taught me that I don't build light and the little Cub motor will not fly it. So I moved to the next build of the Sopwith Snipe. I installed the Eflite 180 and it definitely has enough power, but initially I intended ailerons so I neglected to put in Dihedral on the top wing. Did not fly very well.

Three is a Charm. I purchased this DVa with the Fokker and Snipe and I consider it a personal challenge to get at least one micro WWI to fly.

Therefore, this one has the Eflite 180, no ailerons and there will be dihedral in both wings as provided in the plans.

The basic frame is already built and I have installed the electronics. Next I need to decide on pushrods - wire, wood and wire, etc.

Sean
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2017, 09:26 AM
Pan Pan Pan
Moscow,

I've always wanted to convert a Guillows or Dumas free flight model to r/c, but haven't yet.
Hope the third time is a charm for you! I'll be following your thread and learning.

Good luck!
Feb 24, 2017, 01:56 PM
Oh! Just love model
Some rare kits, those. Are you using the DPC laser cut re-pop? This build should work fine if you are using 2s power. Watching progress with interest.

August
Feb 24, 2017, 02:16 PM
Hi Harri3. They are a challenge because of their size and one needs fine building skills to get it too work - I am going to keep trying

Hi August - yes this is a DPC kit. The laser cuts are a pleasure to work with

Welcome aboard.

Sean
Feb 24, 2017, 08:21 PM
Nice and rarely built subject. I built a Comet DVa a few years ago, which is probably the best biplane I've flown. No ballast needed either, with all gear forward. Getting the wings set perfectly without parallel double struts is a bit of a challenge, but with no stagger the top wing doesn't require being set at a higher degree of incidence. The ailerons are more work, but worth the effort. Built a 20" Sterling D8, which has become my favorite micro, with ailerons. Bit of trivia is that I'm convinced the printing company for Sterling was also printing Guillow's plans, and had the 18" figure stuck in their mind. I got an 18" span plan, with my 20" span Sterling D8. Not exactly useable, and I've seen these same misprints in other kits.
Feb 25, 2017, 10:18 AM
Or current resident
If built lightly enough these models will fly fine on the 8.5mm coreless motor and 1s. I didn't think my Camel would ever work, but Pete Rake's comments about overpowering this style airframe were spot on. With careful trimming and a lot of trial and error it is now a really good flying airplane. I used semi-scale dihedral and no ailerons and it turns fine. It's one downfall is ground handling is impossible and landing without a noseover is iffy at best.

Your downthrust angle looks good, but may need adjustment, so make provisions to adjust it later.

Glenn
Feb 27, 2017, 08:24 AM
Hi AntiArf. That is a beautiful Alby. Your theory on the plans is very interesting. They do look very similar so it is very possible.

Hi Glenn. I agree that if you know how to build that light these models should be able to fly with the smaller 1S motors. I am not sure I can built that light yet. Thanks for stopping by and the advice on the thrust.

Sean
Feb 27, 2017, 10:51 PM
Following along!
Feb 28, 2017, 11:53 AM
Welcome Aboard Dan.

Are you building your model on your blog?

Sean
Feb 28, 2017, 03:46 PM
I am. I have too many unfinished build threads
Feb 28, 2017, 06:09 PM
Or current resident
You're not the only one. I have a few unfinished model threads hanging out there too....
But the way I see it is, models come and go while life goes on. Sometimes family and life supersede hobby activity.
Glenn
Mar 01, 2017, 12:13 AM
Looking good Sean
Mar 01, 2017, 04:26 PM
Hi Owl

Thanks for joining.
Mar 01, 2017, 04:47 PM
What wood did you use for the spars and leading edge of your wings?
Mar 02, 2017, 09:27 AM
Hi Dan

I used some stock balsa I had. However I did look to see if it was sturdier than other pieces. On my last two builds used 1/16 basswood. I did not have any on hand at the time. R.E.M. fodder (Neil) used Carbon Fiber. I thought that was pretty imaginative.

Sean