Jun 03, 2001, 06:08 PM
Retired & extremely dangerous
Thread OP

Antenna way to long!!!

I was wondering what every one was doing with there Antennas. Cutting it off is not something I would never do.
I have tried wraping it around a short piece of straw. Would like to hear some other ideas that people have tried.

Thank Ron J.

[This message has been edited by toglide (edited 06-03-2001).]
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2001, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toglide:
Cutting it off is not something I would never do.
You should rethink that. Never cut your antenna, unless you plan to replace the wire with something else. (unless your double-negative was a typo).

Along those lines, use a piece of guitar string. You need to make sure there's no metal-metal contact, so I cut the supplied antenna just outsidethe fuse, then replace the remainder with guitar strings. Just wind it up into a loop (as supplied in the packs) when you're done flying.

..a
Jun 04, 2001, 01:59 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W:
Along those lines, use a piece of guitar string. You need to make sure there's no metal-metal contact, so I cut the supplied antenna just outsidethe fuse, then replace the remainder with guitar strings. Just wind it up into a loop (as supplied in the packs) when you're done flying.

..a
Andy,
Does guitar string have memory after you coil it up or does it bounce back to a straight piece of wire? I haven't played with the stuff.

Jun 04, 2001, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
On my plane from where I install the rec. only one foot of the antenna is in side the fuse. On the first few flights I just let the rest of the antenna hang out at the back of the fuse. I would say about two feet was hanging out. The plane would yaw back and forth because of the antenna whipping around.
Wouldn't guitar strings cause the same yaw problem? Or is it because they are stiffer they don't whip around as much?

Ron J.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W:

..a[/B]

[This message has been edited by toglide (edited 06-04-2001).]
Jun 04, 2001, 03:10 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
You can replace the antenna with the smallest piano that K&S offer. Put on the same length as you cut off the original. Put a small loop at the end so it won't poke thru your body parts.

Brian
Jun 04, 2001, 11:09 PM
Speed Demon
Brian, how about that neat little antenna on your Sokol? What did you make that with?
Jun 04, 2001, 11:42 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Greg
Doesn't look like Brian is going to make it up to Reno but I'll bring one of his Base loaded antennas so you can see how he makes them. I bought a bunch of them from him awhile back for $3.00 each, very nice. Don't know if he still sells them or not.

Kern
Jun 05, 2001, 12:43 AM
I've never had a yaw problem from the antenna with my models, either the stock antenna or the guitar strings. Yes, they pretty lay straight when you unroll them.
..a
Jun 05, 2001, 02:03 AM
Speed Demon
I've coppied this from another posting as I think it's worth looking at. I've seen Brians antenna work on his Sokol, it works flawlessly. Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Originally posted by bhchan:
Here is what I am using and made it myself. Take a look: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/flywire.htm

I have been using this for a long time and it is basically a Dean base loaded antenna but cost a whole lot less.(about 75 Cents to make but if you dont't want to make it yourself , I sell them for 3.00 a piece) I use this on my sp400 pylon racers and outdoor old timers too. This same set up has been tested by many people at Moffett Hangar and other places with good results.

Brian , an EAJ
Jun 05, 2001, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Base loaded antenna sounds like something I might try.
I have seen these on helicopters before but never knew much about them.

Thanks for the help

Ron J.

Quick Reply