Jul 13, 2017, 11:49 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Thread OP
I have been making good progress on acquiring parts for mine. Here is the list of what I have so far. I will update the list as I complete the build...

Motor - Tacon Bigfoot 46 670kv
ESC - Turnigy AeroStar 65A w/8A BEC
Mini Servos - Hobbyking HK15148B Digital Servo (4pcs)
Standard Servo - Turnigy TGY-DG3 Digital Servo (2pcs)
Main Retracts - HK Servoless Retract with Metal Trunion 44mm x 41mm Mount (2pcs)
Nose Retract - HK Servoless Steerable Nose Retract with Metal Trunion 44mm x 41mm Mount
Main Oleos - HK Alloy Straight Oleo Struts 100mm (2pcs)
Nose Oleo - HK Alloy Oleo Strut Offset 108mm (1pcs)
Tires - 2.5" (nose) and 2.75" (main) PU Wheels with Alloy Hubs
Spinner - Red Eagle Model 51mm (2") 3 Blade Aluminum Spinner
Prop - MAS 10x7x3 and 11x7x3 (I think I will try both)
Light Kit - Turnigy Super Bright LED Light Kit w/Driver

I plan to use 6s 4500mah batteries that I currently use in other planes that I fly.

FYI - the mini servos I got are a good fit in the wing with only minor trimming of the servo pockets required. They are white with white servo arms so that blend in with the color of the wing.

Kman
Last edited by kman24; Jan 03, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2017, 09:00 PM
I removed the covering on my wings and will recover them with Coverite. I don't care for the way the original covering sags when it gets warm. Not having panel lines etc doesn't bother me, can't see them when it's up in the air anyway.
Jul 14, 2017, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
I removed the covering on my wings and will recover them with Coverite. I don't care for the way the original covering sags when it gets warm. Not having panel lines etc doesn't bother me, can't see them when it's up in the air anyway.
How were the plastic wing tips attached? I want to run wires for nav lights out to the tips. Is there a path to get wiring all the way to the tips or will I need to drill some holes through some of the wing ribs?

Kman
Jul 14, 2017, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
How were the plastic wing tips attached? I want to run wires for nav lights out to the tips. Is there a path to get wiring all the way to the tips or will I need to drill some holes through some of the wing ribs?

Kman
They are just glued on with something similar to canopy glue. I just carefully ran the back of an Xacto knife under the edge of the wingtips and got them removed without damaging them.
The ribs are wide open so no problem running your wires.
Jul 14, 2017, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for info Herman Keep us up to date on your progress!

Kman
Jul 22, 2017, 06:30 PM
Got the wings and control surfaces covered. It was a little awkward covering the control surfaces with them attached to the wings, but I managed to get it done. No more sagging covering on those warm days. I really wish VQ would use one of the regular coverings instead of the vinyl shelving paper. I just need to attach the wingtips but I have some nav. lights and anti collision strobes to put in them before they get attached.
Jul 23, 2017, 12:57 AM
Thread OP
They look good Herman Would it have been easier cutting the control surfaces off and reattaching them after recovering them?

Kman
Jul 23, 2017, 01:50 AM
Quote:
They look good Herman Would it have been easier cutting the control surfaces off and reattaching them after recovering them?

Kman
Yea, it would have made it easier but they aren't CA hinges, they are the plastic hinges like in the picture.
Jul 30, 2017, 10:18 PM
Added nav lights n strobes and put some trim on the wings to match the full scale paint scheme.
Jul 31, 2017, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
Nice work on the wingtips Herman Did you paint those on or is that some sort of trim kote?

Kman
Jul 31, 2017, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Nice work on the wingtips Herman Did you paint those on or is that some sort of trim kote?

Kman
Thanks, it's just Coverite ironed on over the existing covering. I find that Coverite is a lot easier to work with than Monocoat and you don't get all the air bubbles under it when ironing on one color over another like Monocoat tends to do.
Aug 04, 2017, 09:25 PM
Has anyone flown their Bonanza yet and if so, did you balance it at the 5" from the leading edge like they state in the manual?
The reason I ask is at 5" it puts the CG 1/2" aft of the main spar.
I have the Top Flite T-34 and the CG on it is right on the main spar or slightly forward of it.
Aug 05, 2017, 06:36 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
Has anyone flown their Bonanza yet and if so, did you balance it at the 5" from the leading edge like they state in the manual?
The reason I ask is at 5" it puts the CG 1/2" aft of the main spar.
I have the Top Flite T-34 and the CG on it is right on the main spar or slightly forward of it.
Is that 5" at the wing root, including the fairing?

I've heard a lot of debate on whether the fairing should be included in the "from leading edge" measurements or not but I always include it and haven't run into trouble yet. I was very concerned about it with my EFlite Bonanza but included the fairing in the CG measurement and it flies great at the recommended CG.
Aug 06, 2017, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Is that 5" at the wing root, including the fairing?

I've heard a lot of debate on whether the fairing should be included in the "from leading edge" measurements or not but I always include it and haven't run into trouble yet. I was very concerned about it with my EFlite Bonanza but included the fairing in the CG measurement and it flies great at the recommended CG.
5" at the wing root where the wing meets the fuselage. The thing that concerns me is places the CG 1/2" Aft of the main spar.
Aug 07, 2017, 01:27 AM
Thread OP
I would think it would be on the wing spar, as well. Try a run a calculation and see if you come up with something different.

http://www.scaleaero.com/CG_Calculator.htm

Kman

Quick Reply