Spektrum - Focal V2 FPV Wireless Headset with Diversity - RC Groups

Spektrum - Focal V2 FPV Wireless Headset with Diversity

We spent some time with the Spektrum Focal V2 FPV headset from Spektrum. Read about the feature set, check out our photos and video and learn about the wireless capabilities.

Splash

A Fat Shark headset with Wireless Trainer Link Technology

Horizon recently brought out the new Spektrum Focal V2 Wireless Headset. The Focal V2 comes in at a price of $399.99. While I have had a lot of FPV headsets and goggles, this is my first unit from Fatshark. In this review I will go over the features the make this unit stand out, I also shot a video that will get you going with the wireless head tracking.

Features

• Wireless head tracking and channel selection
  • 640x480 optics
  • 32 field of view
  • Adjusts to users eye spacing (IPD)
  • Comfortable, foam-padded mask
  • Built-in cooling fan prevents fogging
  • Antenna diversity
  • 2S 1800mAh LiPo battery with LED voltage indicator
  • Includes banana plug charge lead (charger not included)
  • Includes 1 spironet RHCP Omni antenna for omnidirectional coverage and 1 spironet RHCP 8dbi patch for focused coverage

Wireless Head Tracking and Channel Adjustment

Since setting up the wireless head tracking was a little tricky I created a video to show how it works (below).

Focal V2 Fatshark Wireless Head Tracking - How To (6 min 53 sec)

Image Quality

Antenna Diversity

Built for Comfort

Changing Frequency Bands

Here is a direct link to the manual.

Included Battery

The DX6e Companion Radio

Thoughts and Conclusion

I have used these goggles with my Inductrix FPV micro quad indoors. I also used these with my Theory Type W race wing from Horizon/Blade. I thought the field-of-view might be a little narrow for me but I'm happy to report that it was fine. While in the goggles I never thought about them, and that's a good thing. The diversity seemed to work well. I have to admit that the video feed I was getting from the Fatshark unit was as good, or better than any feed I have had at our field (30 acres). I used the thin foam and suggest you use the thick pad. The thin wasn't enough padding for me. I am a big fan of the provided 2s lipo. Usually provided packs on goggles don't seem to last very long but this one lasted as long as any of my FPV outings.

The wireless head tracking is pretty exciting because I do have a couple of pan-and-tilt planes in my future. I have to admit it was tricky to get going but if you watch my video it should be easier for you. The good news is that is works as described. I have the DX6e and it is a great companies transmitter with these goggles. The DX6e is not very expensive at $180.

The small size, diversity receiver, good FOV, on-board fan and wireless functions make this a great FPV goggle to keep in your bag. The only thing I really wish it had was a built-in DVR. Other than that I'm a big fan of this unit.

Mar 21, 2017, 07:33 AM
Very good review and very good price! I have said it lots of times before FS are WAY overpriced. Not to mention a pain to deal with .....if they even answer your messages. I'm talking from a dealer POV.
Mar 23, 2017, 08:11 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
been looking for a newer pair of goggles. but no DVR kills these for me