Feb 22, 2017, 05:35 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Discussion

Sailplanes/Gliders

Sailplanes/gliders of all types and styles. Powered or non-powered, any launch method, slope or thermal. Ask questions, brag, post your defeats and successes. Post it hear and let's talk about it.

Enjoy
Rowdyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2017, 11:51 PM

First Glider in 30 yrs

I picked up this beauty recently and I'm working on an electric conversion for it. It's a CMPro Ventus 2.6m w/fiberglass fuselage and balsa sheeted wings and tail surfaces. It appears that this bird was first offered around 2008 and it was a popular choice in the scale sailplane category. It would probably sell well if it were still available but, I hear China Model Products company had a falling out among it's owners and eventually went out of business. Sadly, the airplane is discontinued.

The plane is not without it's faults but, I've read that it's a good flyer once a few simple mods are made.

Here's the thread ..... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Ventus-2HX-ARF

Another link to an add ..... http://www.nitroplanes.com/ventus-ar...n-2600-mm.html
Feb 22, 2017, 11:59 PM

High Performance full scale Gliders

I had no idea sailplanes could perform like this. Amazing.
I looked long and hard for the engine and ....there isn't one.

That's not smoke coming out the back, that's the water they carried for ballast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=wo4LlpFs-5M
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM.
Jan 16, 2018, 05:05 PM
My Ventus flew for the first time at the Tbird electric fly thanks to Tom Blakney. It took a bit of elevator trim but, flew very well after. Only had time for one flight using a 1500 mah 3 cell. I got lucky installing the firewall & motor mount as is it straight with all power settings. I am proud of the way it flew and will be looking for another excuse to take it to the field when we get warmer weather. BTW ....the retractable landing wheel worked great.
Jul 16, 2018, 09:31 PM
Rowdyjoe,
Is the Thunderbird field glider friendly? I am looking for a flying field near Mansfield and fly electric and pure gliders. Would setting up a histart or winch be acceptable at the field?

Thanks,
Alan Slater
Jul 16, 2018, 10:20 PM
Hi Alan,
We welcome all RC fliers and we have a couple of un-powered sailplane pilots who launch from a piggy-back configuration. There isn't a lot of activity for un-powered planes.
It's been along time since I launched from a hi-start or wench so, don't remember how far they need to be stretched out. You'd have to measure the available real estate to see if there is enough room. Our runway is oriented North/South and launching in any other direction would probably be hindered by the trees, not to mention interfering with powered plane operation.

Your best option is to come out and see for yourself if it's suitable for your needs. Click on the link below for a map for field location. The gate to the field is always locked when a member(s) is not present. You're welcome to park at the gate and walk in and look around or fly ...providing you can prove AMA membership (put your card in the freq. board slot). Be sure to read and comply with the field rules posted at the pit area. If you want company while your there, it would be best to come out in the late afternoon/early evening on weekdays or on Sat. or Sunday. We conduct free flying lessons on Thursday afternoons starting at 4pm until dark (weather permitting) and there are club officials there who can answer any questions.
http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/Flying_Field.html

You don't have to be a club member to fly at our field but, you must be an AMA member (for the insurance). We lease our field from the Corps of Engineers and insurance is mandatory.
Additionally, our nest club meeting is July 23 (4th Monday of each month), 7pm at Buffalo West restaurant, 7101 Camp Bowie West and you are cordially invited.

Garry
Forum Moderator
Jul 17, 2018, 07:28 AM
Ok, it has been a long time since I have been out to the Thunderbirds field as my grandfather flew there for many years. Time and weather permitting I maybe able to stop by this weekend.

Thanks,
Alan
Jul 17, 2018, 12:44 PM
Alan,
Great.
However, the field has moved from the location on the west side of the lake. It's now located on the south end of the lake in Mustang Park (see map). If you're in or near Mansfield, you can take Hwy 1187 west through Crowley or you can go I20 around to 35W and go south to 1187. It takes about the same amount of time due to slower speeds on 1187.
Jul 26, 2018, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97
Ok, it has been a long time since I have been out to the Thunderbirds field as my grandfather flew there for many years. Time and weather permitting I maybe able to stop by this weekend.

Thanks,
Alan
Hey Alan,
Were you able to make it out to our field over the weekend?

I talked to one of our sailplane pilots at our meeting Monday night and he said he'd be glad to give you any info you want about flying your gliders at our field. His name is Pat Ensign and his email is ...buzzardaire@gmail.com .

Garry
Jul 28, 2018, 03:12 PM
Garry,
I was not able to make it out there. I will send Pat an email.

Thanks,
Alan
Sep 08, 2018, 01:18 PM

Experimental glider smashes record

Wow !

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ght-ncna907586

Quick Reply