Jester 60" twisty wing prototype - Page 3 - RC Groups
Apr 06, 2017, 08:07 PM
Aircraft Life
Hi. I'm trying to understand all this slope lingo (think I finally understand "bagging a wing"). So what is a "twisty?"
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2017, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunkus
Hi. I'm trying to understand all this slope lingo (think I finally understand "bagging a wing"). So what is a "twisty?"
Both wings pivot about the wing rod (think of each wing half being a big aileron).

Do a search on "Wingeron" and "Pitcheron" which are two types of "twisty" gliders.
Apr 07, 2017, 12:40 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Welcome to the world of composite scratch-builds, Wunkus!

Once you see it, the name's obvious. Here's a video, see the wing movement starting at the 0:36 second mark. They can be made as a wingeron (where only the wings move, no movement in the tail) or a pitcheron (functioning elevator on the tail, the wing moves as ailerons).

They prove to be very efficient planes, since there's nothing on the wings to interfere with the airflow.

Multiplex Fox glider power conversion wingeron & a P-51 crash in the background (4 min 5 sec)

-= Dave
Apr 07, 2017, 08:56 AM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Oh man.... had my hands on Oran's .... holy cow I can't wait to get ahold of mine !!! Love it... that's one sexy machine !!
Latest blog entry: Pics
Apr 07, 2017, 10:08 AM
It's not going to build itself
Yup, pretty sweet plane!
Latest blog entry: Some vids
Apr 07, 2017, 01:48 PM
Aircraft Life
Very interesting. Thanks for the info, guys.
Apr 07, 2017, 03:29 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
...a wingeron, (functioning elevator on the tail, the wing moves as ailerons). or a pitcheron, (where only the wings move, no movement in the tail)

-= Dave
Fixed it for ya
Apr 07, 2017, 03:38 PM
Aircraft Life
So, are there issues with weakened wing structure and added weight with this design?
Apr 07, 2017, 04:02 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc
Fixed it for ya
Dammit. I can never keep those straight! And I've got two of one, and one of the other (don't make me figure out which is which! )

All I know is that they're a blast to fly.

Thanks, doc.

-= Dave
Apr 07, 2017, 04:06 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
So, are there issues with weakened wing structure and added weight with this design?
I don't think there should be any added weight -- same number of servos, just in the fuze instead of in the wing -- you generally need a spar anyway, and this one just pivots on it.

Wings should be just as strong. In fact, since you're not cutting into them to put servos and cut ailerons, I would think of them as stronger. Where would you see them as weak?

-= Dave
Apr 07, 2017, 05:29 PM
Aircraft Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
Where would you see them as weak?

-= Dave
Well I imagine there would be a single point joining the two wing halves together rather than several points on a typical wing. Also, if the wing rotated on the axis of this single point, I can't imagine how it would be as rigid. All torsional forces would fall onto the servo arms, right? As for the extra weight, I imagined the lack of rigidity would call for increased strength in the pivot point / spar stand-in. But, I mean, if these are not issues those experienced in this design have encountered then my imagination must be over exaggerated. I think building a slope glider with this control system could be very entertaining and I'm really curious how such a model would handle compared to conventional control surfaces.

-Will
Apr 07, 2017, 05:41 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
it handles like a hummingbird on meth... Super agile, and hang on in high rates.. If you tone it back, its gentle and responsive. These things are a blast, with a psychotic roll rate if you like that kind of thing
Latest blog entry: Pics
May 25, 2017, 09:31 AM
Great flyer for sure! Subscribed for the conventional tail version.
May 26, 2017, 11:13 AM
After seeing some of Mike's plugs, he really has an eye for what looks good and I would say that he really is an artist. I'm looking forward to see what becomes of the ghost too!
May 31, 2017, 08:27 PM
Maiden pictures of my Jester a couple of weeks ago at Torrey.
A little while after this we went up to Daves Beach and had four jesters doing laps.
Looked so cool, wish I had pics of that.
Scott

Quick Reply