Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat - RC Groups

Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat

The new Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat features a pair of jet drives, brushed motors, scale deck details and LED's. It's the perfect scale boat for display or patrolling your local stream!

Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat

At Home in the Water or on Display

The Alpha Patrol Boat from Pro Boat is an electric powered hull inspired by the Vietnam-era Assault Support Patrol Boat a.k.a. Alpha Boat. This 21-inch ABS scaler is designed to cruise the creeks or lake shore at speeds up to 15 MPH. It features a pair of 390-sized brushed motors and a 60-amp marine ESC. Power is delivered through a 6 cell NIMh or 2S LiPo, and controlled with the included STX2 2Ch 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System.

Pro Boat® 21-inch Alpha Patrol Boat RTR (2 min 27 sec)

Scale details are plentiful on the Alpha boat, as it comes with molded machine guns, dock bumper tires, lights pods, antennas and an American flag. Jet drives power the Alpha boat, eliminating exposed propellers and rudders. The Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat retails for $249.99 and is due out in early March 2017.

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Pro Boat Alpha Patrol Boat

CLICK HERE for the RCGroups thread already in progress

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 22, 2017 at 03:38 PM..
Feb 22, 2017, 01:58 PM
DFS#000178
I want it so bad.

I need a lake.

I do have to wonder why they didn't just call it what it is - a PBR.

Also, how do the jet drives reverse?
Feb 22, 2017, 02:07 PM
There were a number of specifically different vessels used in 'nam.

Take a look at http://www.warboats.org/vietnamboats.htm for differentiation.

"Alpha" was:

ASPB - Assault Support Patrol Boat (ASPB) (aka “Alpha” Boat) was used primarily for ferrying and supporting the movement of 9th Army troop.

Displacement: 36.5 tons
Length: 50 feet
Beam: 15 feet
Draft: 3.75 feet
Propulsion: 2 General Motors 12V71diesels, 2 shafts
Speed: 14 kts
Range: Crew: 6
Weapons: 2 20mm Mk 16, or 1 20mm Mk 16 and 2 .50 BMG (in turrets), 8 3.5-inch rocket launchers (on forward turret), and 2 .50 BMG or Mk 21 7.62mm mg aft.

vs

PBR - Patrol Boat, River.
Length: 31 feet
Beam: 11 feet, 9 inches,
Displacement: 9 tons
Speed: 35 knots
Armament: Three .50-cal machine guns (two twinned, one single), one M60A machine gun and one MK-79 grenade launcher.
[A "bit" smaller than the Alpha]

Rampage, It's on my shopping list too.
Last edited by tugs; Feb 24, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
Feb 22, 2017, 02:23 PM
Most anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I want it so bad.

I need a lake.

See the thread on Scale Boats forum for the answers.
Feb 22, 2017, 02:25 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartix
See the thread on Scale Boats forum for the answers.
You mean this one?
Feb 22, 2017, 02:44 PM
There is also a thread in the FE boats section

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...at-patrol-boat
Feb 22, 2017, 03:43 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
There is also a thread in the FE boats section

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...at-patrol-boat
Excellent! This little boat is quite popular and it's not even out. I had the PT-109 from Pro Boat back in 2008. It was a decent boat.
Feb 22, 2017, 03:44 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Ask 10 people on the street what a PBR is, and they'll give you 10 unique answers...and you'll be lucky if any are correct. "Patrol Boat - River" isn't common knowledge. Proboat needs to sell them, so they used the more descriptive name.

Quote:
What reverse? I see no mention of that feature. Did I miss it?
Feb 22, 2017, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Excellent! This little boat is quite popular and it's not even out. I had the PT-109 from Pro Boat back in 2008. It was a decent boat.
Oh yes it is! I'm probably going to get one too!!

There seems to be a growing interest in jet powered RC boats lately. The ones from proboat are really helping them get attention
Feb 22, 2017, 04:44 PM
Just Plane Nutts
I'm sure a lot of members have see us making jet boats but would rather buy one RTR. Thrasher could have been the one, but aimed for the high price range and so placed themselves out of the reach of many. Proboat has come the closest so far with their $300 boat. Now someone just has to release a production version of a racing-style sprint jet like the Tear Into in the $250 range and capture a big piece of the NQD pie.
Feb 22, 2017, 05:09 PM
r/c ships and workboats
I have one on order as they are a boat with history here. Will have to do some mods to make it run better like adding a "clam shell" for reversing and upgrade the radio to do that. Add some other items to be seen later!
Feb 22, 2017, 05:47 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Ask 10 people on the street what a PBR is, and they'll give you 10 unique answers...and you'll be lucky if any are correct. "Patrol Boat - River" isn't common knowledge. Proboat needs to sell them, so they used the more descriptive name.
Well, the same thing could be said for any military vehicle, so..

Quote:
What reverse? I see no mention of that feature. Did I miss it?
Reverse is a 'feature' on an RTR surface vehicle in 2017?
Feb 22, 2017, 05:53 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
I have one on order as they are a boat with history here. Will have to do some mods to make it run better like adding a "clam shell" for reversing and upgrade the radio to do that. Add some other items to be seen later!

Well, they DID have reverse mechs. in the real boats, so doing so won't hurt accuracy...for reverse buckets AND an independent rotating turret, a 4-channel radio will be needed:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-waymarki...53a6380700.JPG

If you look closely, the nozzles of the Proboat appear to have swivel mounts for reverse buckets...Should be able to make use of those...

I wonder where the water for cooling comes from? According to the description:

Quote:
The water cooling coil over the motor provides longevity to the motor
I do not see any cooling coils on the motor...The ESC is air-cooled, as described ...see below:

Guess we'll have to wait until someone here gets their boat and opens it up.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Feb 22, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Feb 22, 2017, 10:26 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Just as an FYI

For those That may visit the mid Atlantic area this summer Charleston SC has one reconditioned on display and a mock up "camp" to view among the more prevalent tours of the Yorktown CV-10 etc,.... http://www.patriotspoint.org/explore/ I enjoyed it and had worked with an ex Navy Seal that patrolled on one back in the early '70s so I had to see it,!! Just throwin it out there for all's enlightenment. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Feb 23, 2017, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Now someone just has to release a production version of a racing-style sprint jet like the Tear Into in the $250 range and capture a big piece of the NQD pie.
THIS!!!

I want a production brushless NQD real bad. Make it 3s capable with a thick durable hull for under $300.

TAKE MY MONEY