Feb 21, 2017, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Noob questions

So I have some questions about sailplanes and some about the wonderful faa rules....

I guess I will ask the touchy subject first. I'm no member of AMA, but I did see that they claim that the 400 foot rule that faa states is a suggestion and no rule, but is that only for AMA members? I live in an area that the closest human is a mile away and I would have a 99.9999999% chance on hitting a corn or soybean field. So I feel becoming a AMA member isn't really needed, but if required I would. Also nearest AMA group field is over an hour away.... while my back yard I can do the same, plus more.

Now sailplane question. Would color of covering affect the plane? Say I use black on it... which I think it would heat the plane too much and not let the thermal do it's job as well. My theory correct?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2017, 07:26 PM
399' and holding
The 400 ft rule is for when you are within a specified radius of an airport.

Black for covering... theory is slightly correct. While it will heat the plane, it has nothing to so woth the planes ability to thermal. Rbis is a fuction of aerodynamics not thermodynamics.
All black will be horrible for orientation. Black stripes on the bottom for orientation. Bright colors on top.

Both of these questions have been asked and answered... a lot.
I would suggest a search of these topics. You will find a wealth of opinions.... and maybe some facts.
Feb 21, 2017, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
Both of these questions have been asked and answered... a lot.
I would suggest a search of these topics. You will find a wealth of opinions.... and maybe some facts.
Thanks and sorry for repeat of same questions then. Search feature came back with some error when I did search, So I opted for post instead. Might be do to using a phone, who knows.
Feb 21, 2017, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
All black will be horrible for orientation. Black stripes on the bottom for orientation. Bright colors on top.

I wouldn't do an all black plane, that would be dumb especially for a sailplane that enjoys being higher.

Thinking of mostly using it as an accent on my gentle lady. It's been nearly 25 years since my last balsa build, so I hope I don't hurt this lady!

Again thanks.

I'll go back stalking the forum
Feb 21, 2017, 09:35 PM
399' and holding

markone1

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...%20foot%20rule

Random examples pulled from the interwebs.
Hope this helps
Feb 22, 2017, 08:59 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I made one plane all black once. An old glo model "Mystique"...my friends and i renamed it "Mistake" due to it's 45 second lifespan from disorientation.

Now, a glider with black on the bottom ONLY of the wing can really aid in visibility.

400' rule is for the idiots who fly inappropriately. If you fly appropriately, go much higher.
Feb 23, 2017, 04:22 AM
B for Bruce
The lift you get isn't from the temperature difference between the plane and the air around it. It comes from the temperature difference of the zones of air. Warmer rise and cooler descends. Put your model where it's going up and you'll go up regardless of the plane's color.

I did one black model and never again. The fuselage got so hot that I worried about the radio gear inside. It was literally almost too hot to hold at times. It's been light colors for the upper sides and darker for the undersides since purely for visual cues of the model's attitude out at long distances ever since.

I also found that mostly a brilliant white fuselage stands out well. There's the odd time it doesn't contrast with the right color of cloud. But mostly it works well. And it's certainly good for keeping the insides cooler.
Feb 24, 2017, 08:28 AM
Mark LSF # 3792

400'

Here's the letter to the AMA from the FAA about the 400' recommendation. The AMA is a "community-based organization" as mentioned, may be others as well.
Feb 24, 2017, 09:51 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidpaintball
I guess I will ask the touchy subject first. I'm no member of AMA, but I did see that they claim that the 400 foot rule that faa states is a suggestion and no rule, but is that only for AMA members? I live in an area that the closest human is a mile away and I would have a 99.9999999% chance on hitting a corn or soybean field. So I feel becoming a AMA member isn't really needed, but if required I would. Also nearest AMA group field is over an hour away.... while my back yard I can do the same, plus more.
Acid,

I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that for folks following safety standards of a community based organization (aka if you follow the AMA safety code) that you are not required to follow the 400 foot altitude recommendation. That said, the AMA is a valuable organization, they did a lot with Congress to protect our privileges to fly model aircraft, and would be worth supporting.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 24, 2017, 12:25 PM
In 2017 the biggest reason to join the AMA is to support the only organization that stands between you and the United States Government and some state legislatures who want to outlaw radio controlled models. The AMA is our lobbyist and the only one we've got!
Feb 24, 2017, 11:42 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Based on my discussion with AMA officers at the AMA meeting at the WARM show last February:

The 400 foot rule is real and applies to all non-AMA members as AMA is the only community based organization that FAA recognizes.

All others are bound by the pledge acknowledged when you registered on the FAA site. You agreed not to fly above 400 feet. That restriction is waived for AMA members flying in accordance with AMA safety code.
Feb 24, 2017, 11:56 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
I'm not a lawyer. Here is the letter the FAA sent to the AMA July 2016:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...AA-400feet.pdf

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 25, 2017, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

I'll most likely join the AMA. Heck I joined nar and it wasn't for the insurance but for the same reason as you guys pointed out.

Picked up rf 7.5 today to help reduce my 100% crash rate. Lol

Quick Reply