Sep 23, 2019, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
???
I don't understand what you mean, could you elaborate
See the attached screenshot. Now my pitch encoder is being recognized and displayed here. In your screenshot above showing your GUI, none of yous said "OK", but it was in fact working, correct? Not sure if it's a bug or not. I was able to run the rramp, rpp, and rofs commands and get relevant data even though I had no "OK" for the Roll encoder.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 04:45 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
the above screenshot is NOT mine, but mysaurabh96's, and it is with firmware v2.40 which predates firmware v2.42hij and as I've just explained behaves differently, so you can't compare

it's always important to pay close attention to the firmware version especially currently, where the STorM32 sees such a rapid development in many parts
Sep 23, 2019, 04:54 PM
Quote:
the above screenshot is NOT mine, but mysaurabh96's, and it is with firmware v2.40 which predates firmware v2.42hij and as I've just explained behaves differently, so you can't compare

it's always important to pay close attention to the firmware version especially currently, where the STorM32 sees such a rapid development in many parts
Oh, oops! While looking at your screenshot I clicked the right/left arrows assuming you posted two screenshots which showed me mysaurabh96's...

I have some great news and some bad news.. Great news is that I was able to get the pitch axis working with my gimbal set up and got a basic PID tune configured and it was working on that axis as it should!

Bad news is that my roll encoder wasn't being recognized, and now my pitch encoder isn't showing up either... I am almost certain it is a hardware issue so I will get back on it tomorrow morning. I will most likely just have to tidy up my soldering.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:59 PM
Update:

I finally got the 2-axis setup (roll-pitch) fully working! I just have to tune the PID parameters now, but should be good to go. My main issues were the soldering of the encoder PCBs. Once I had the properly soldered, I then forgot to set the polarity of the motors. Pitch started spinning backwards until it was forced to stop, and that made me realize I needed to reverse it.

Thanks for all the help!
Sep 24, 2019, 11:36 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
fantastic! great to hear that

it would be also great if you would show some details of your build ... AFAIK it's the first encoder based 2 axis T-STorM32 gimbal, would be interesting to see what you did
Sep 25, 2019, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately this setup is for my company for testing, so I'm not confident I am able to share too much..

I would be happy to answer any questions that arise, however. The process (if I soldered everything perfectly the first time) is relatively straightforward how the wiki describes, I just had to jump around a very small amount to get things in the right order.
Sep 25, 2019, 06:54 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
thx for your response
it's of course perfectly fine to use the project as you/your company does, but I guess you understand that it's a bit sad that you/your company isn't open about it. I understand that you guys don't want to reveal much details, but it's a nice to know what the project is used for, so maybe at some point you may post a picture of the product it's used for. Anyway, it's great that it works for you, so keep on having fun
Sep 25, 2019, 07:02 PM
Quote:
thx for your response
it's of course perfectly fine to use the project as you/your company does, but I guess you understand that it's a bit sad that you/your company isn't open about it. I understand that you guys don't want to reveal much details, but it's a nice to know what the project is used for, so maybe at some point you may post a picture of the product it's used for. Anyway, it's great that it works for you, so keep on having fun
Yeah, I agree. Even if we don't end up using it for our final product I will still see what I can do about getting a picture or something posted.

I'll continue following the thread!
Sep 26, 2019, 03:14 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
hey folks
FYI, new alpha firmware v2.42j released: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11622
cheers
Sep 29, 2019, 08:34 AM
Sometimes my gimbal works good. But sometimes it fails to stabilize it rolls and motor gets no power.
Oct 12, 2019, 03:18 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
Hey Folks

the long period of alpha release is over, I happily announce the release of the new "official" beta firmware v2.43e, which indeed brings 100reds of changes and improvements.

For details pl see here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=11647

Have fun, Olli
Oct 13, 2019, 02:18 PM
@Olli
So if I understand T Storm is where your focus is now. Is T Storm an extension of Storm NT or is the firmware very different? Are you working separately on these projects? I will soon have three new NT gimbals after having not used Storm32 since it was using i2c imus. I would love to add encoders but I think it will be too bulky for my fixed wing use. But I would do it for a roll axis gimbal. I have not seen any of your motor encoder boards for sale anywhere, sadly. Ensys is not offering them.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Oct 28, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Oct 14, 2019, 12:17 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
So if I understand T Storm is where your focus is now.
this is so since introduction of T-STorM32 1-1/2 years ago. Improvements to NT come only as spin-offs from improvements to T.

Quote:
Is T Storm an extension of Storm NT or is the firmware very different?
both

T STorM32 is an extension of NT in the sense that it uses the NT bus concept, and extended the available modules from NT motor modules to NT motor-encoder modules. That's how it works technic-wise. (one actually can find such a comment already in the old NT announcement LOL).

But it also needs some significant differences in the firmware. If these are "very different" is a question of view point. Lot's of the code, all the "feature" things like RC inputs, filters, wifi, Mavlink, gui, and so on, are identical.

Quote:
Are you working separately on these projects?
both are still in the same code base, and the differences are handled by a variable (you load one and the same firmware and when choose which mode you want by setting this variable via the GUI).

This approach may change however "any" time. That is, whenever the point should be reached where I would think that it has significant advantages (for me) to split the two, I would. If that happens, the course of events would likely be similar to when I've split out the NT branch from the I2C branch ...

So, currently I'm not working separately on them. I actually try to keep them together for as long as the burden is still handable.

Quote:
I would love to add encoders but I think it will be too bulky.
this, and the underlying mechanical challenges associated with them, are the main reasons for why NT still may have it's merrits

just as an observation: all 3-axis gopro/actioncam/smartphone hand held gimbals you find on the market use encoders, and also the tarot/feiyus/zins for aerial applications do ... so, starting with gopro size they don't have to be too bulky if build properly ... it's sad that no kit for a T-SToM32 gimbal has emerged, since it could be less bulkier than what we get our DIY ways

Quote:
I will soon have three new NT gimbals after having not used Storm32 since it was using i2c imus. I would love to add encoders but I think it will be too bulky for my fixed wing use. But I would do it for a roll axis gimbal.
I'm not sure how much of a benefit T-STorM32 would be for one- and two-axis gimbals. I've never tried, and never thought about this. My thoughts are generally related (limited?) to 3 axis. That is, it's possible that one finds that for one/two axis gimbals encoders don't bring that much. (T-STorM32 has a much shorter startup time however).

Quote:
I have not seen any of your motor encoder boards for sale anywhere, sadly.
the wiki can often be a helpful resource: http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/...-STorM32_stuff

Quote:
Envy’s are not offering them.
except of for the main board, Ensys are doing their own firmwares and hardwares for the NT modules. I think that's why they didn't follow the T-STorM32 path.
Oct 27, 2019, 02:29 AM

RC gimbal control

Dear OlliW,

First of all thank you very much for such an awesome work!
I just build my first gimbal based on T-Storm32 encoder boards provided by Gapey.
All works awesome.
But i have few quiestion which i can't sort out by myself at this stage:

1) My system have slip ring on each axis. And i was planning to control it with "hold hold pan" mode with infinitive rotation on each axis.
But found an angle limitation in GUI for each axis.
Is there any way to give me this possibility?
I understand that another issue can be a gimbal lock in this case. But i want to try to move in this direction.

2) Some time after hard disturbtion of the system it doesn't come back to level.
As for now i feel it as gyro angle goes far away. And then slowly come back with acc compensation (i guess Kalman filter).
Please confirm it is happening because of gyro filtering cuts the values in wrong way during high friquency vibration.
And i just need to setup PID's + Filtering better.

3) There is quite big delay on RC input to gimbal position correction (FrSky SBUS).
Is it kind of smoothering logic or it is real gimbal's operation?
I am flying a lot of FPV racing. That's why i was expecting more response from the system.

4) Is there any way to increase a motor speed during RC input?
It looks faster when i move the base of gimbal very quick. The camera is able to follow level position on quicker way.
But with full stick RC input it goes quite slow (Not fast enough).
Or i am misstaken and it is the same speed limited by motors KV?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Vladimir.
Oct 27, 2019, 04:01 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
Hey Vladimir

1) There can't be infinite rotation one each axis.
You can enable infinite rotation on yaw with "Rc Yaw mode = relative turn around", see also wiki: http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/...t#GUI_Settings
Technically it would be possible to also have infinite on pitch, but I've never considered this, also because it's not very meaningful to film the roll motor and there never had been reasons for.

2) you would need to share more information. It's far from clear to me what exactly you are observing. Your sentences seems to suggest several contradicting things.

3) You have seen the Rc Speed Limit and Rc Accel Limit parameters, see wiki: http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/...t#GUI_Settings. I believe they are what you are asking about.

4) Isn't this the same as in point 3? Or do you mean pan while yawing? Pan properties you can adjust with the pan params, see wiki: http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/...ersus_Pan_Mode

generally, it is hard to answer questions without having the most basic information, such as 1,2,3 axis gimbal, or the firmware version. Also, a picture of the actual gimbal can often be very helpful.

posting a picture of the gimbal would be also nice from the view point of showing it to the community

cheers, Olli

Quick Reply