Feb 02, 2018, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
It also would be high-time to work on the gimbal and get rid of these pitch&roll motors with their dammed cogging, just, which motors to use instead ...
I'm using so called "Flycat 2204 260kv" motors.
They are small, cheap ($10), light, and have a very low cogging torque (almost not feelable), Their disadvantage is: although they are advertised for gopro class gimbals, they don't have much power, so i wouldn't use them for a gopro, but for a mobius they're ok. I'm using them for pitch and roll only, for yaw i consider them being to weak.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 10:21 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
thx for the suggestion
I actually do have a set of them here
I find them a bit too heavy for a mobius gimbal, and especially, I could not yet figure out a good means to mount the magnets for the encoders ... (I don't have tools such as turning, milling, 3D)
I actually bought them for use with a GoPro, with encoders they should have plenty of power
but since I don't know how to mount the magnets ...
Feb 02, 2018, 10:28 AM
Quote:
I find them a bit too heavy for a mobius gimbal, ...
They are 20 gram or so. Which weight is your suggestion ?
Feb 02, 2018, 10:30 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
oh ... I had something like 30g in my mind ... I guess I have then to remeasure them, 20g would be fine

EDIT: I measured 24g, the motors I have now are 18g ... so you're right, not out of mind for a mobius gimbal ... remains the problem that I have no idea how I could build an encodered gimbal from them ... let's see
Last edited by OlliW; Feb 02, 2018 at 01:29 PM.
Feb 03, 2018, 07:23 AM
Quote:
EDIT: I measured 24g, the motors I have now are 18g ... so you're right, not out of mind for a mobius gimbal ... remains the problem that I have no idea how I could build an encodered gimbal from them ...
Don't see the problem. They have a hollow shaft. Stick another bit longer pipe-shaped shaft in that, clue it there and mount your magnet on it.

Does it really matter, if a motor is 5 or 10 grams lighter or heavier ?
Feb 03, 2018, 07:55 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
LOL ... the hollow shaft has a quite unusual diameter and nothing I could buy fits in there ... and the magnet has a different diameter, so some adapting is needed ... the goal is not to just somehow fumble something fragile together, the magnet should be well centered and well squared and solidly fixed
in addition the mounting holes are very close, so that one needs quite some height to the magnet, which makes building a proper "mounting-shaft" even more important
(and which makes the whole build ugly since the dimensions are in no proportion to the camera)

if 5 or 10 g more or less matter, really depends on what you want to achieve ... things tend to sum up ... there is a reason no well performing mobius gimbals are out there, and this line of argument is one of them

you know, it's totally pointless to me to spend time to build something which finally isn't any better to what I already have
Feb 03, 2018, 04:00 PM
Hi! I'm very happy to see that some prototypes start to show up, and I'm interested in getting one. But I've got lost in the details, in particular which hardware is needed (for a gopro-sized gimbal), what's the overall cost and what else you need to buy. Could you sum up briefly?

I'm using the STorM32 since several years, in particular for an RC airplane (Powerzone 2600). I hope that the encoder version will be able to deal better with the drag-induced forces.
Feb 04, 2018, 04:10 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
@Gapey:
I've put a NT Logger v1.2 Eagle design in the storm32 github repository
you won't be fully satisfied, routing a 5V would have required a complete redesign
it's of course also not tested in practice, I paid attention to set distances correctly, but only reality will finally tell
Feb 04, 2018, 10:04 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciek252
Hi! I'm very happy to see that some prototypes start to show up, and I'm interested in getting one. But I've got lost in the details, in particular which hardware is needed (for a gopro-sized gimbal), what's the overall cost and what else you need to buy. Could you sum up briefly?

I'm using the STorM32 since several years, in particular for an RC airplane (Powerzone 2600). I hope that the encoder version will be able to deal better with the drag-induced forces.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y#post39097563
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Feb 05, 2018, 02:36 AM
UAV Engineer, elab.co,jp
Hello all,
A quick update on the encoders, we finally received a first batch for testing as shown in the picture.
Unfortunately, the board advertised here was not what we received:
https://www.banggood.com/de/Storm32B...r_warehouse=CN
It was not a NT imu and furthermore, the board does not regulate voltage to the imu, it was passing 12v to it...
We are currently planning on getting this one:
http://www.readytoflyquads.com/storm...bal-controller
If anyone has a reliable source , please let me know.
Thanks.
Ali
Feb 05, 2018, 03:22 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
hey Ali

VERY COOL
thx for sharing with us, much appreciated

really, you did not get what was offered?
would you mind to post a picture of the storm32 board and the imu you've got? I'd be really curious to see what this is
btw, if it is clearly not what you've ordered, then you should seriously consider telling banggood and asking for a replacement ... it seems to happen every once in a while that someone grabs the wrong piece of the shelf, but as much as I know they often tend to react swiftly and positively, so this could be a very viable path for you (probably also in terms of shipping)

cheers, Olli
Feb 05, 2018, 03:48 AM
UAV Engineer, elab.co,jp
pictures of the received board are attached.
The imu was not detected and shown as none. I guess it's already fried because of the 12V .
My colleague filed a claim already.
cheers
Feb 05, 2018, 04:19 AM
@mike_kelly, thanks for the link to the group buy thread, but it seems not to be the place to ask questions but only to join the group. So could someone resume very shortly in one post what the offer exactly is, what hardware is needed, and if any (non-trivial) mechanical work is required? I think we will have more interested members if these issues are clarified.
Feb 05, 2018, 04:52 AM
Quote:
I've put a NT Logger v1.2 Eagle design in the storm32 github repository
you won't be fully satisfied, routing a 5V would have required a complete redesign
it's of course also not tested in practice, I paid attention to set distances correctly, but only reality will finally tell
+ 5v connect in this design is not possible, it will require an increase in the size of the board.
It will be easier to use 1 jumper wire to supply power to the OLED. it's ugly, but it will work.
Feb 05, 2018, 08:32 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondx
Hello all,
A quick update on the encoders, we finally received a first batch for testing as shown in the picture.
Unfortunately, the board advertised here was not what we received:
https://www.banggood.com/de/Storm32B...r_warehouse=CN
It was not a NT imu and furthermore, the board does not regulate voltage to the imu, it was passing 12v to it...
We are currently planning on getting this one:
http://www.readytoflyquads.com/storm...bal-controller
If anyone has a reliable source , please let me know.
Thanks.
Ali
This offer uses the same picture but I did receive what was in the picture.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Storm32...gAAOSwA3dYPO6z
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test

Quick Reply