Feb 27, 2017, 03:10 AM
Hi OlliW,
I'm going to build my next gimbal with encoders and Storm32, could you give advice about iPower Motor GBM5208H-200T with AS5048A Encoder - will it work with Storm32 encoder version ?
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2017, 04:10 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
pl read the thread from start to end to get a glimps of the T-STorM32's encoder approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirS
could you give advice about iPower Motor GBM5208H-200T with AS5048A Encoder - will it work with Storm32 encoder version ?
yes and no
yes: the T-STorM32 project is extremely fresh, so these motors were not yet used and I can't thus give any definite answers, but I don't see any reasons why the motors themselves should not be suitable
no: with the T-STorM32 you need extra NT modules, which carry their own encoder chip. The AS5048A encoders are not supported (at this point in time ... I might add AS5048A encoder support at a later stage, but currently it's not present)

the major humble stone currently is getting the motor modules

EDIT:
I've looked a bit deeper at these motors. If I got it right, if one get's the "slipring-ring compatible" version, it has a ring magnet already installed, but it doesn't come with a ready-to use piece-of-something to install the encoder, unlike with the "not compatible with slipring" version. Anyways, it has mounting holes at a circle of 25 mm, which is quite close to the mounting holes of the V2.3E motor module, which is 25.4mm. So, I would guess it should be possible to mount the V2.3E motor modules snugly onto these motors, with only a tiny bit of mechanical work.
The offered encoder casing is not suitable; it is not clear to me if it is included anyways or not.
The motor itself has 12N14P and 10Ohm, so I would think it is a very good match for the T-STorM32.
All over all, I would think that this could be a very suitable choice of a motor for T-STorM32 (but unless tested in real life one of course can't know)
Last edited by OlliW; Feb 27, 2017 at 06:00 AM.
Feb 27, 2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks Olliw for detailed replay.
It is pity that there's no support for AS5048A yet. Also I havn't skills to make V2.3E motor modules or STorM32 v2.4 by myself. So in the close future I can forget to use encoders with Storm on my pro- gimbal. Anyway, I'm happy with your controller on my small gimbals.
Feb 27, 2017, 10:36 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
as regards the AS5048A:
pl note, even if they would be supported you still would need motor modules, so, I think the support/non-support of the AS5048A is not a major issue, the main stepping stone remains getting motor modules

as regards the AS5048A II:
I think that it would be actually quite simple to implement support of them, but I haven't found any reasonable source for them (I'm not going to pay 20$ + shipping as it is offered in some shops), i.e., find it difficult to get one in my hands.

So, question to all: Is there anyone in Germany or nearby who could borrow me an AS5048A for some time (maybe a month or so)? Or knows a reasonably priced source?

as regards the motor modules:
yes, their inavailabilty is a major problem. I have ordered boards and materials for making 10 of them. However, it will take a couple of weeks before these arrive ("couple weeks" means 3 to 6 weeks typically).

So, I could offer you that you build 3 motor modules for you. But as said I could do that only in several weeks time, and price-wise I of course can't compete with Chinese mass-production.

That's all I can say/offer.
Feb 27, 2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
That's all I can say/offer.
Once more thanks Olliw !
It is very nice offer but in a close months I'm going leave Europe and move to the other side of globe, so it could be tricky to do a postage between us.
Don't know exactly how will it be but may be some later I could send you encoder for test.
I had to write to you earlier...
Feb 27, 2017, 01:22 PM
FAA Certified Pilot
@ Olli

Send me a PM when you are ready for testing and I will purchase. I have prototype machining and 3D printing capability in my shop. Looking forward to Testing
Mar 07, 2017, 07:44 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
that's what I've completed and ordered today:

21mm in diameter, and mounting holes at 16 and 19 mm ... guess yourself what these might be for LOL
Mar 08, 2017, 08:54 AM
Quote:
guess yourself what these might be for LOL
Are those DRV8839 motor drivers? Because then I would say because of the 11V max voltage they are for less or equal sized GoPro gimbals with encoder support.
Mar 08, 2017, 09:34 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
YES

I actually hope they can be used also up to 12.5 V (3S), the datasheet says 12V max, maybe they still survive 12.5V, if not I'll add a reverse polarity diode to lower voltage by 0.6V, and if everything fails one always can use a step-down, which is maybe a good idea anyhow
these DRV8839 are really small, and cheap, so IMHO very worth a try

GoPro sized gimbals and smaller are clearly the targets - I think that's the major hobby area
Mar 08, 2017, 10:07 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
some more insights into the T-STorM32:

T-STorM32: Sneak Preview at Concepts, Features and Setup (24 min 11 sec)
Mar 08, 2017, 10:14 AM
DRV8813 would have been probably a better choice: smaller, 3s-4s capable and preferred by chinese manufactures
Nevertheless, size of pcb is very nice
Mar 08, 2017, 10:23 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
the DRV8813 are totally inappropriate

I guess you meant the DRV8313 ...
I have DRV8813 on the "big" motor modules, it are those which you can see me using in the above ...

BUT: The DRV8313 are by no means smaller, not even close to! No chance to get them on such a small pcb. Moreover, they are not 2S capable, and that is exactly the point
Mar 08, 2017, 12:49 PM
Quote:
the DRV8813 are totally inappropriate

I guess you meant the DRV8313 ...
Sorry, yes.

Quote:
Moreover, they are not 2S capable, and that is exactly the point
3 Motor modules,
1 IMU module,
3 Motors with encoders attached,
1 main controller board
1 camera
...., don't think all that stuff will take off with 2s
Mar 08, 2017, 08:06 PM

CDROM motors!

Which are right around 24 to 25mm diameter.
Mar 09, 2017, 10:36 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
for your info:

I've just released the T-STorM32 NT Motor Module v2.4E, you'll find the files in the git repository, as usual.

Quick Reply