Feb 20, 2017, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

NEW? QX-Motor 30mm 6 Blades EDF Unit With QF1611 14000KV Brushless Motor

I just saw this little thing and it seems awesome for as city guys that needs micro airplanes. Now I need to find a good cheap little Jet for it or a good scratch build for it.
Also it is quite cheap IMHO
If you have one please share it in this thread or a RCG link for it

Description:
Brand Name: QX-Motor
Item Name: EDF unit with brushless motor set
EDF Unit: 30mm 6 blades
Brushless Motor: QF1611-14000KV

Specifications of Motor:
KV 14000 Idle Current @10.0V 0.5A
Configuration 9N6P No.of Cells(Lipo) 2S
Stator Diameter 13mm Max Continuons Current(A)/60s 12A
Stator Length 11mm Max Continuous Power(W)/60s 120W
Motor Dimension 16x25mm Weight 19.5g

Testing Data:
Prop Volts(V) Amps(A) Watts(W) Thrust(g) Thrust(oz) Efficiency(g/w) Efficiency(oz/w) Throttle
30FAN 7.4 19.3 142.82 215 7.58 1.51 0.05 100%

Package Included:
1x QX-Motor 30MM 6 Blades EDF Unit With QF1611-14000KV Brushless Motor

http://www.banggood.com/QX-Motor-30mm-6-Blades-EDF-Unit-With-QF1611-14000KV-Brushless-Motor-p-1127450.html?rmmds=category
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2017, 02:15 PM

Be carefull...

Today, testing EDF on 2S battery, it explosed in my hand. Bad surprise...
Mar 24, 2017, 03:19 PM
Ouch what failed? The impeller?
Mar 25, 2017, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
Ouch what failed? The impeller?
No, motor bell... The black plate on the photo is an exploded and completely flattened motor bell
Mar 25, 2017, 06:42 AM
I was trying figure out what that rectangle was!
Jun 02, 2017, 08:12 AM
ParkScaleModels
Did you ever get another unit and try testing further?
Jun 02, 2017, 04:42 PM
more kW, more problems
You were testing it in your hand!?
Jun 27, 2017, 01:34 PM
Electronics and RC
Hi Romushok. Sorry to hear about the accident.

I'm interested in buying one of these, or just the plastic bits. Do you still have the motor? I'm curious to see how the impeller is fastened to the motor shaft.
Jul 07, 2017, 06:53 AM
ParkScaleModels
So my order of two QX-Motor 30mm 6 Blades EDF Unit With QF1611 7000KV Brushless Motor showed up and last night I decided to do some testing. I wanted to get a load / no load kV reading from the motor so I could figure out the rest of the motors variables. All of the data listed on the site indicates the motor can be run on 3S, so I removed the fan and hooked everything up. I was using a 3S 2P 3000mAh battery set up so that I wouldn't have a lot of voltage drop while testing. the packs were not fully charged and had a voltage of 11.8V. I started slowly and as I got up to about 75%, the bell on the motor exploded the exact same way it did for Romushok. The bell ricochet off my bench and hit the fingernail on my middle finger and then my arm, leaving a 3" gash! After getting myself patched up, I took a look at what's left of the bell. The bell is made of two pieces - the outer ring and a top cap that is pressed/glued to the ring. The outer ring appears to have been rolled with a forged seam (rather than being extruded with no seam) and it appears that it's the seam that failed.
Jul 07, 2017, 11:57 AM
Yikes! Two blow ups in a row. Clearly Not good.
My 7000kv is 'inna mails' .. disconcerting info this.

Paypal is effective in a refund claim.

So.. any mitigating circumstance .. that might be avoided.. to prevent this ? He asks hopefully.
Sans Rotor ?? Hmm.. I won't do that to Any of MY edf motors
Clearly risky with a Cheap A**one.
Still.. No one expects the darned thing to explode
Think it's possible to sleeve the flux ring ? Or at least a kevlar wrap. Seems it could be needed

Although even before ordering the thing I did wonder about the ESC Commutation issues with a... Hi kv and too many poles..
outrunner achieving the serious rpms. needed
That may be a moot concern
Last edited by Bare; Jul 07, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Jul 07, 2017, 12:39 PM
Electronics and RC
Kevlar wrap or an extra metal ring is most likely the best idea. I would take my chances with fibreglass or other strong thin tape. Just make sure you wrap it in the right direction to avoid the end of the tape catching air if it should start to unwrap somehow...
Jul 07, 2017, 03:26 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla
Kevlar wrap or an extra metal ring is most likely the best idea.
If I had a mill/lathe, I think I would go the route of two rings.
Jul 07, 2017, 03:59 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Sans Rotor ?? Hmm.. I won't do that to Any of MY edf motors
Clearly risky with a Cheap A**one.
What's risky about running a motor with no load on it? Or are you just referring to this particular motor? I highly doubt having the rotor on would have made any difference.
Jul 07, 2017, 04:40 PM
IMO it's risky with Any Hi KV motor.. Believe what you will :-)
Without a doubt it's not ideal.. to run a hi KV motor ie ;7000kv Unloaded.
You've provided indisputable evidence of that.
At 11.8 v.. 7000kv theoretically results in 82,000 rpms. Mechanical Stresses escalate geometrically with rpms
With a load IMO it's a reasonable guess that ~50k rpms would be max acheived

Plastic motor constructions, Sketchy structural 'safety' margins
an esc that is unlikely able to reliably commutate a 6 pole inrunner to 82+k rpms..
ALL add up to a perfect storm.. even before the 5 cent BBearings issue comes into play

If turning fresh bits ? an ali bell end and a non seamed bell ring would seem a good start.
Last edited by Bare; Jul 07, 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Jul 07, 2017, 06:23 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
IMO it's risky with Any Hi KV motor.. Believe what you will :-)
Without a doubt it's not ideal.. to run a hi KV motor ie ;7000kv Unloaded.
You've provided indisputable evidence of that.
I would disagree with that. A good quality motor should be able to be run unloaded. I would be willing to bet that you would have absolutely no problem running something like a high kV NeuMotor without a problem. The only thing I have proved is that THIS motor has a cheaply made bell housing. I did some calculations and IF the claims on the product page are accurate (which I think we all know probably aren't), the motor would be spinning at roughly around 62,000 RPM at full throttle under load. Given that I never got to full throttle, there's no way I hit 82,000 RPM. I wish my kV meter was working so I could get some real numbers on it. I did hook the second unit up and ran it with the rotor on a 2S 2100 mAh pack. My Watts Up meter showed 2.75A and 7.8v at WOT with standard timing.

Quick Reply