Mar 22, 2017, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I think that's getting a bit ahead of myself with step downs, soldering, etc.. I don't mind at this stage strapping a 1s lipo to my quad or plane. Or do you think a 300mah 1s or whatever is too small and would therefore not last long enough?

Could somebody post links to what would be some good antennas to order with these goggles? Thanks..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2017, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Could somebody post links to what would be some good antennas to order with these goggles? Thanks..
Personally I use one of these True RC X-Air paired with an omni. Point the Patch at the far end of the track or anywhere you have penetration issues/concerns and then the omni picks up the rest. If you freestyle a lot get an omni directional antenna that reaches above your head, less issue when you fly behind yourself.
Mar 22, 2017, 01:32 PM
Wandering IT geek
I don't like the idea of running separate packs for the VTX/Camera system as if you're not diligent you may forget to charge the 1S pack and have a video black out while the plane/quad is well away from you. If it's connected to the flight pack then at least if the flight pack dies in flight you'll lose everything rather than having your quad/plane too far away from you and fly away.

But if you're set on using a separate pack based on a max of 740mA the 300mAh 1S pack you're wanting to use will last no less than around 15 minutes.

Antennas? The device you bought has a right hand circular polarized antenna. I'd get one of the for your Skyzone goggles (something like this - http://www.team-blacksheep.com/produ...od:tbs_triumph) and just use the included antenna for the other receiver on the goggles.

As to your head tracker question I believe it's designed so you can use an unused channel on your radio/receiver system, plug the goggles into the transmitter via a cable and then transmit the change of orientation of your head to a servo on your airplane or quad which controls the orientation of the camera. Thus you can pan the camera view left or right when you turn your head left or right. I've never actually used it and I believe that there were reports that the tracker in the V2 goggles had pretty bad drift issues...
Mar 25, 2017, 03:24 PM
Thank you for starting this thread,Marty.
Mar 26, 2017, 02:28 PM
Well I finally made the order.

Why are these not talked about more - especially with this sale going on for so long?

A guy at the field today let me try his Fatshark HD2's.. I was frankly not that impressed. There was grey around the edges, and I guess the main issue was simply the fitment on my face. He had some weird spiral - heavy - antenna making it sag, and even a couple mm of slip and it went all out of focus. That guy said that was normal for those goggles. Fitment I suppose is something that each person has to adjust to best fit himself. Anyway, it did leave me somewhat skeptical about spending that kind of money - even at the sale price - on goggles..

My stupid RC805 receiver broke though, so I needed a new receiver of some sort anyway. Now I guess I need new antennas as well? Which ones? I have red spiral aomways, but only one.. I guess I need SMA's though? Any links for good cheap antennas? Thanks..

I may try the Fatshark faceplate mod at some point. My RC budget is used up for the next 2-3 months though for sure. I hope it's worth it...
Mar 26, 2017, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Well I finally made the order.

Why are these not talked about more - especially with this sale going on for so long?

A guy at the field today let me try his Fatshark HD2's.. I was frankly not that impressed. There was grey around the edges, and I guess the main issue was simply the fitment on my face. He had some weird spiral - heavy - antenna making it sag, and even a couple mm of slip and it went all out of focus. That guy said that was normal for those goggles. Fitment I suppose is something that each person has to adjust to best fit himself. Anyway, it did leave me somewhat skeptical about spending that kind of money - even at the sale price - on goggles..

My stupid RC805 receiver broke though, so I needed a new receiver of some sort anyway. Now I guess I need new antennas as well? Which ones? I have red spiral aomways, but only one.. I guess I need SMA's though? Any links for good cheap antennas? Thanks..

I may try the Fatshark faceplate mod at some point. My RC budget is used up for the next 2-3 months though for sure. I hope it's worth it...
Here is what I use very good and well priced, http://menacerc.co.uk/product/invade...eceiver-patch: and these http://menacerc.co.uk/product/raptor great pair together,Marty.
Mar 26, 2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I'm in Germany though...

Would the standard spiral blue pairs of antennas be good - like these?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RC-FPV-Antenn...EAAOSwfVpYnLOv

Not sure about which patches are available here...
Mar 26, 2017, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Heard good about the UK antennas as well.
I would stay away from the antennas you link to. The AomWay is considered good for the money. And it actually has a plastic support, and it looks like BG now ships with the "hat" as well, to make it more crash proof.
And they are the old style 3 lobes on plane/quad (to save weight). This is not done anymore. And for antennas it is important to get something that is good.
I have the standard blue someways on my goggles (SMA) and just got a patch:
http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-FPV-5...041209.html?p= 9O2015638249201406IM

Not tested today, as I was stupid. Wires too short in my S800, so pulled out Vbat from my F3 FC, and plugged it in wrong pins and let out magic smoke. unplugged XT60 but not the VTX powered from balance connector. Forgot all about it. Flew my quad, but go black screen and blackouts. Never thought about it, but it was the S800 sending black screen, cutting off the quad.

I have the large blue from AOMWay, which I put on my 7" screen. It is good, but too heavy for goggles. Until you get something, you can use the linear antennas that comes with the googles. Will cut signal to half if you use CPL on the quad/plane.
Mar 26, 2017, 03:26 PM
I guess I don't mind ordering from BG, but would prefer Germany for faster shipment. If nothing here, would you mind posting a link to exactly what I would need from BG - I guess a normal antenna and a patch?

So you're saying order that patch from BG you linked? With which antenna exactly? SPA male or female or what?..

Maybe I should just send a male to the UK shop...

Edit - looking at the UK shop, do I need LHCP or what? Thanks..
Mar 27, 2017, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
Just for info, I am now back using the Skyzone02S facemask. Has a better fit for my face than the Fatshark. And now that I started having OSD in the corners, it was difficult to see when I was moved a bit further from the screen, corners where difficult to see when moving those millimeters further away.

Normally all receivers uses SMA, and the transmitter RP-SMA. But this is not an absolute rule. RHCP/LHCP: You need the same on the ground as in the air. I use RHCP all the way. Think immersion/fatshark initially was LHCP.

SkyZone faceplate. I hav switched to this again from Fatshark.
http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-3D-F...638249201406IM

Standard Cloverleaf. EU and China warehouse
http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-5_8GH...638249201406IM

Patch antenna. Bit more range, but directional.
http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-FPV-5...638249201406IM

Covers for the antennas to avoid them being bent. Seems like covers are included with new purchases, but not sure.
http://www.banggood.com/AOMWAY-Trans...638249201406IM

Also bought this 11 turn helical, but with 11 turns it is pretty directional. Only plans to use it for long distance plane flying, on my monitor. People say it is pretty easy with a monitor to turn it and keep max signal. Not for goggles. For goggles it should be 4-turn or patch, which is way less directional.
http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-11dbi...638249201406IM
Mar 27, 2017, 02:50 AM
Thanks a lot. So you reckon the Skyzone faceplate is better? Sure is cheaper. It mounts right up? No foam?

I will order it and those antennas.

Again, for the time being I just want to get in the air and do some very basic FPV flying. Nothing too crazy or far away... Later I can upgrade according to how my preferences (and abilities...)develop...
Mar 27, 2017, 03:01 AM
Has anybody tried the HDMI input on the Sky02s V+ for movie watching? How immersive is that experience?
Mar 27, 2017, 03:12 AM
Well thanks povlhp. Just ordered all that... Should be sorted..

Now I just have to figure out how to connect my H1177 cam to my Eachine 200mw TX....
Mar 27, 2017, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks a lot. So you reckon the Skyzone faceplate is better? Sure is cheaper. It mounts right up? No foam?

I will order it and those antennas.

Again, for the time being I just want to get in the air and do some very basic FPV flying. Nothing too crazy or far away... Later I can upgrade according to how my preferences (and abilities...)develop...
Skyzone faceplate just fits. I have a larger head, and mounting the fatshark faceplate with clips would bend it a bit, making it more round. AND it would increase distance to the lenses, making corners a bit blurry. So for now the Skyzone faceplate/facemask is better and more comfortable. Lets see when it gets real hot in summer. Skyzone is just soft rubber. No foam. This is why they might get too hot in the summer.

I do consider other options, like 3D print something that will fit tigther than the Fatshark, and have eyes closer to lenses. Could add a small fan to that, or maybe just a couple openings for free airflow.
Mar 27, 2017, 09:44 AM
Hmm, ordered and paid yesterday, no confirmation yet for shipping, and I see now that they are listed as out of stock. I hope I don't get a mail soon saying they screwed up their inventory somehow… I also hope mine weren't the very last ones that were crushed on the bottom of the box or some return item or whatever..

Quick Reply