Skyzone Goggles support thread - RC Groups
Feb 20, 2017, 03:29 AM
Discussion

Skyzone Goggles support thread

Since there is very little SkyZone FPV Goggles info collected in a single place, I am starting this thread as a place to collect the info, and get help and support.

Skyzone makes a series of compact FPV goggles along the lines of Fatshark.

Models covered in this thread is:

Skyzone V2, 32 Channel Diversity,
Skyzone V2, 40 Channel Diversity
Skyzone SKY02S
Skyzone SKY02S V+ 3D

The shape is the same among all the SkyZone goggles, and so is the screens.
The Sky02S series has a newer VRX with on-screen data and frequency analyzer to allow you to pick the best channel. Also comes with build-in DVR (recorder) and HDMI input
The Sky02S series does away with the single eyecups, and comes with a batman style large soft rubber cup/faceplate available for $6 or so,
The 3D and some SKY02 comes with a new headstrap with an extra band going over the head.
The 3D will allow you to display 3D video, and is available with/without a 3D transmitter/rx combo.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2017, 03:29 AM

Spares and upgrades

The links below are affiliate links. If you do not like that, then copy/paste them and remove the stuff after the question mark
Faceplate upgrades
Link to the cheap upgraded faceplate. This rubber faceplate just plugs in instead of the default eyecups of the V2, and makes a huge improvement in comfort.
http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-3D-F...638249201406IM

Another option is to buy a fatshark faceplate with fan. You really need some clips to hold it in place. These are available here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1166387 as a 3D drawing for printing.

Here is the link to the Fatshark Faceplate:
http://www.banggood.com/Fatshark-Fat...638249201406IM

To me, holding the fatshark faceplate against my heat is almost perfect fit, but to make it fit the skyzones, I printed the clips above, this pulls the center closer to the goggles, making very little light leakage above. But had the side effect of making the faceplat more round from side to side. So I had to cut the clips to half width, and put them as far out as possible. Another side effect was lots of light coming in around the nose. I used a neopren strip at the forehead, and at the nose area to clock light and get it a bit more comfortable.

Another issue is the fan on the fatshark faceplate. It will hit/push the control stick out front. So I use a soldering iron to make an indent, and added a drop of hotglue on the underside of the fan - and let it dry, to make sure the fan will not press the control joystick.

I am now using the Fatshark Faceplate for now. But if I had known how little extra comfort it gives, and the extra trouble to get a good fit, I would likely have bought the Skyzone faceplate only. But people in warm humid environments would likely need the fan.

With the Fatshark faceplate my V2 no longer fits the case.

The 3D goggles comes with a real faceplate a'la fatshark. No fan, but a loop for the "over the head" strap.
It is available at this link. I never tested it, but some people really likes the over the head strap.
http://www.fpvmodel.com/skyzone-3d-f...rts_g1170.html
Last edited by povlhp; Feb 20, 2017 at 04:11 AM.
Feb 20, 2017, 03:30 AM

Faq

Is there a low voltage alarm ?
On my SkyZone V2 there is no Low Voltage Alarm. It will run the battery down to around 4V, which is 2.0V/cell on a 2S. This will kill the battery. So please use a LiPo alarm on the balance wire.

What are the dimensions of the DC plug ?
The DC plug is a 5.5mm plug with a 2.1mm pin. Be aware, there are many different internal pin sizes. Be sure the get one that fits.
+ is the center pin.

Can the googles be turned on safely without antennas ?
Yes, the goggles works fine without antennas at short range, and since they are receive-only, there is no risk in doing so.

Can you recommend a good DVR for use with the V2 goggles ?
I use the Eachine ProDVR, which is prices around $15-$20, it is small and considered very good value for the money.
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ProD...638249201406IM
Last edited by povlhp; Feb 20, 2017 at 04:07 AM.
Feb 20, 2017, 04:00 AM

Reserved

Reserved
Feb 20, 2017, 04:14 AM
What FS model are the V2's comparable to? Still kicking myself for missing the sale at HK...
Feb 20, 2017, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
What FS model are the V2's comparable to? Still kicking myself for missing the sale at HK...
There is a guide here:
https://oscarliang.com/fpv-goggles-r...shark-skyzone/

But he puts it into the low-end, but it has higher res screens than the Fatshark SE. I would say it is close to the Dom V3 judging from specs, and the SKY02S leaves nothing behind for the DomV3. They all have 30 degrees FoV. SkyZone is 16:9, so image might be less tall, but is wider.

But all depends on what you want. The new DomHD3 has 42 degrees FoV, so bigger more immersive picture. Compared to the Quanum V2Pro, the image in the Skyzone is much smaller, and somewhat flatter in appearance (blacklevel is too bright) but you get used to it. Some think the Quanums has too big a screen, need to move eyes around to see it all.

For quality and immersive, the box-on-the-head type are likely the best if they have a good fit. But the compacts are "good enough" (tm), and their compactness makes up for it IMHO. Both for transport, and for not feeling them so much on the head.

If I were to buy new ones, it would likely be the Sky02 for the better receiver and on-screen-display (Fatshark users want this as well), and built-in recorder. But again, price is important. And for a product this expensive, I prefer to buy local (including HK Europe) in case of any warranty issues.
Last edited by povlhp; Feb 20, 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Feb 20, 2017, 07:27 AM
z33
z33
Very useful thread!
Feb 20, 2017, 09:06 AM
I have the Quanum V2's and find them pretty horrible. They have very poor ergonomics. For one, you can't switch easily to LOS by just sliding them up on your forehead... They have wires sticking out, etc etc.. Just a mess.

I have an RC805, plus a cheap Eachine 600mw VTX + cam set. I flew last week, and reception and overall image was crap.

What would be a VERY good upgrade that wouldn't cost a fortune? Say, €200 max... I have an H1177(or whatever everybody uses..) camera, but it doesn't work on my Spedix MR's, for whatever reason.. Not getting 5v for some reason?...
Feb 20, 2017, 09:38 AM
My Skyzones also has some wires (to the VRX). But I can pull them up. Or use built-in camera.
I have the FR632 diversity receiver for my Quanums, and it is great. I use AOMWay antennas.

As for the HS1177, try to power it from battery voltage or 12V. It will take up to 22V, so up to 5S.

I have no ideas what a good upgrade would be. The Quanum Cyclops V1 or V2 is all-in-one, so not cables. But you would still have the bulk.

For now, I think the best would be to get the Sky02S 3D for $400 - 20% = $320 from BG. Use 24fpv or 24fpv coupon for the 20% off.
http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-SKY0...638249201406IM

I think the better rx, OSD and DVR would be worth the $100 over the $230+shipping = $242 I paid for the SkyZones. I would be willing to sell for €230 including EU shipping (registered letter/GLS depending on your country) and one battery (none included by default).
This is the battery:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-f...500mah-3c.html

The other option is to save a bit longer, or buy something used locally.

Don't know the fatskarks but most people recommend to not get anything below DomV3.
Feb 21, 2017, 03:30 AM
This is great as I've just picked up a skyzone v1 i suppose, as it has no dvr and the brightness/contrast controls is in a little joystick on the center of the goggles just above the front facing cam. According to this video by bmsweb, there's a skyzone v1 so to OP, you might want to add it to the list of skyzone goggles in the 1st post..

Got 2 questions, does anybod know how to hook up that little eachine dvr to it? I have an hm dvr which is similar to the eachine one. I'd truly appreciate a wiring diagram

FPV Goggles Overview and thoughts - Fatshark & SkyZone (8 min 47 sec)
Last edited by shauntot; Feb 21, 2017 at 04:11 AM.
Feb 21, 2017, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
My Skyzones also has some wires (to the VRX). But I can pull them up. Or use built-in camera.
I have the FR632 diversity receiver for my Quanums, and it is great. I use AOMWay antennas.

As for the HS1177, try to power it from battery voltage or 12V. It will take up to 22V, so up to 5S.

I have no ideas what a good upgrade would be. The Quanum Cyclops V1 or V2 is all-in-one, so not cables. But you would still have the bulk.

For now, I think the best would be to get the Sky02S 3D for $400 - 20% = $320 from BG. Use 24fpv or 24fpv coupon for the 20% off.
http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-SKY0...638249201406IM

I think the better rx, OSD and DVR would be worth the $100 over the $230+shipping = $242 I paid for the SkyZones. I would be willing to sell for 230 including EU shipping (registered letter/GLS depending on your country) and one battery (none included by default).
This is the battery:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-f...500mah-3c.html

The other option is to save a bit longer, or buy something used locally.

Don't know the fatskarks but most people recommend to not get anything below DomV3.
I could be interested in that..

Right now I feel my reception is somewhat dodgy. I have, with the Quanum V2's, an RC805 RX plus the cheapo Eachine 600mw VTX+cam. Plus the red bendy antennas without plastic covering the wiry parts..(if you know what I mean..) Aomway? Not sure.. Meant to be OK afaik. Anyway, is it safe to say that with the Skyzones not only the sreen quality but the reception generally of my current set-up would be significantly improved? Thanks..
Feb 21, 2017, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot
This is great as I've just picked up a skyzone v1 i suppose, as it has no dvr and the brightness/contrast controls is in a little joystick on the center of the goggles just above the front facing cam. According to this video by bmsweb, there's a skyzone v1 so to OP, you might want to add it to the list of skyzone goggles in the 1st post..

Got 2 questions, does anybod know how to hook up that little eachine dvr to it? I have an hm dvr which is similar to the eachine one. I'd truly appreciate a wiring diagram

https://youtu.be/G3ciSFNfrBw
If you have 40 channels, and joystick, it is the V2.
The V02 (not to be confused with V2) is the one with improved receiver, on-screen display and recorder.

Wiring it up is easy. There is a small 4-ring jack with red/white/yellow female RCA adapters on it.
The yellow one is video out if connected to AV Out, and video in if connected to AV in.

I swapped some pins on the connectors on my Eachine DVR, so I have a male RCA -> Video input + GND on the DVR. And of course a source of 5V (from balance wire of battery -> small 5V FPV UBEC -> DVR)

See attached image. The white male RCA goes to Video In on the DVR on one side, and the female yellow on the other.

If I want to play back, I have another cable with a male RCA connected to video out/GND on the DVR. But I don't want it dangling around, so not connected to DVR on this image. To playback I conenct that cable to the same yellow female RCA, and then move the 3.5mm jack to the AV in. It will detect this, and I can play back the recorded video / format card etc on the goggles.

My plan is to get 2 angled 4-pin mini-jack, use dupont wires (with the small 1x1x5mm plastic connectors) and change RCA to dupont on DVR as well. This will save weight and allow me to playback without switching cable around. The RCA connectors are heavier than the DVR.
Feb 21, 2017, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I could be interested in that..

Right now I feel my reception is somewhat dodgy. I have, with the Quanum V2's, an RC805 RX plus the cheapo Eachine 600mw VTX+cam. Plus the red bendy antennas without plastic covering the wiry parts..(if you know what I mean..) Aomway? Not sure.. Meant to be OK afaik. Anyway, is it safe to say that with the Skyzones not only the sreen quality but the reception generally of my current set-up would be significantly improved? Thanks..
The red/blue AomWay antennas are supposedly very good. Be aware, that the red ones are for the transmitter. The blue ones has the pin in the center and are for the receiver. So before anythiong else, please veiry that you have the center pin in either the connector or the socket on the receiver. When I first ran into that problem, I used a leg from a component (diode) to insert into the center hole on the antenna, and cut its length to be flush with the connector. Then I ordered the right receiver antenna.

You can lookup RP-SMA and SMA on google, and see the difference.

I have been out to 1200+ meters with a setup like above. Plain Aomway antennas, and the diode leg as center pin.

If you have linear antenna in one end and to multi-lobed in the other, you will lose like half the signal. But if you have 2 linear ones perpendicular you will lose almost all signal. And the same for RHCP and LHCP antennas mixed. Most Aomway is RHCP, but they started making LHCP as well (Fatshark etc default)

You can experience video noise even at close distance. I see that as well. But not too bad. I have a super antenna for my Rx/Goggles, but it is directional. This is it: http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-5_8GH...638249201406IM
price $15. SMA Male fits the Rx / Goggles. Search for 14dbi flat panel RHCP and you can find it elsewhere, including the UK (20 pounds)

Usually you will gain a little by upgrading transmitter and/or receiver. Going from 200mW to 600mW will not even double range. But better antennas will. Some transmitters does not provide the full effect on all channels. Some 600mW can deliver anywhere from 300-550mW depending on channel.
Depending on you setup, you can get noise from the rest of the lectric system into the video circuit. This is why some pople use a noise filter on power to the VTX, and powers the camera from the VTX. I just use my cheap transmitters and has had no issues with electronics inducing noise. All this belongs in a different subject/thread.

So before investing in anything, verify your antennas has matching connectors, i.e. center holes/pins.

And verify there isn't a better channel to recive the signal on. Often you can see the signal on 2-3-4 different channels.
Feb 21, 2017, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
If you have 40 channels, and joystick, it is the V2.
The V02 (not to be confused with V2) is the one with improved receiver, on-screen display and recorder.

Wiring it up is easy. There is a small 4-ring jack with red/white/yellow female RCA adapters on it.
The yellow one is video out if connected to AV Out, and video in if connected to AV in.

I swapped some pins on the connectors on my Eachine DVR, so I have a male RCA -> Video input + GND on the DVR. And of course a source of 5V (from balance wire of battery -> small 5V FPV UBEC -> DVR)

See attached image. The white male RCA goes to Video In on the DVR on one side, and the female yellow on the other.

If I want to play back, I have another cable with a male RCA connected to video out/GND on the DVR. But I don't want it dangling around, so not connected to DVR on this image. To playback I conenct that cable to the same yellow female RCA, and then move the 3.5mm jack to the AV in. It will detect this, and I can play back the recorded video / format card etc on the goggles.

My plan is to get 2 angled 4-pin mini-jack, use dupont wires (with the small 1x1x5mm plastic connectors) and change RCA to dupont on DVR as well. This will save weight and allow me to playback without switching cable around. The RCA connectors are heavier than the DVR.
Thanks for the wiring description. A bit confusing since its a different dvr than what I have, I'll just have to figure it out I suppose.

I guess I really have a v1 according to this manual (check out the title on the pdf file) weid though because it says 40ch, mine only has 32ch. After pressing the band button with 4 beeps, it goes back to 1 beep so I suppose it really only has 32ch. No biggie anyway it's not like I use raceband.

I really bought these goggles because they were cheap and portable compared to my quanum v2/fr632 combo. I still use that as my main goggles although I would like to be able to use the skyzone with my hm dvr to record tiny whoop flights when traveling as that's what I bought it for anyway.
Feb 21, 2017, 09:49 AM
Sad that skyzone googles dont have 48CH, they should release a firmware update.