Apr 02, 2017, 07:16 PM
I think I started building one the night before the race, and maiden it the next morning in my first heat. It wasn't very pretty, but it flew well. Must be about 35 years ago, we were still using 8011 K&B's and freezing through the winter racing season at the mental institution.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2017, 07:24 PM
That sounds about right. I started racing at the Pioneer field just off Great America Blvd. The 49ers stadium is now on that very land. The club set up the Agnews field right after the Great America field shut down. By that time the popular engine was the Webra Speed. I have an older Q500 kit sitting on a shelf that I need to build when I get caught up on other projects. Should be fun with an MVVS .45/ short pipe combo.
Apr 02, 2017, 10:58 PM
Scott
Shawn, I just put a Jett 50 and carbon pipe on one of my my Spiklers. Wanna race???

Scott
Apr 02, 2017, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Shawn, I just put a Jett 50 and carbon pipe on one of my my Spiklers. Wanna race???

Scott
Sure Scott, we can start out with me flying the new Macchi and then move onto the Pacemaker after it is built. Actually I have an old F1 Rivets that may end up being fairly fast.
Apr 03, 2017, 09:43 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
I have an older Q500 kit sitting on a shelf that I need to build when I get caught up on other projects. Should be fun with an MVVS .45/ short pipe combo.
Pay attention Shawn, there will be a Quiz later.....
Apr 03, 2017, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
I spent some time at the field yesterday tuning the exhaust. I will be running a Rossi 40 with a 9x7 APC. For some reason my tach was a little sporadic yesterday. I have a Great Planes Glo-Bee Intellitach Tach. A week ago I was able to tach the prop from the rear but yesterday it would only give me proper readings from the front. It was cloudy out so maybe that was causing problems. I think I settled on a 4.75 or 5" header. Now I can install the engine and exhaust back on the Scat Cat and get a total weight. While I was at the field yesterday another member maidened his Scat Cat with a YS45 and it sure hauled the mail.
Apr 05, 2017, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
I have the pipe cut to 4.75". The plane is reassembled with a total weight RTF less fuel at 4.075 pounds. I just need to level out the elevator servo and than I am ready for the maiden. Now I just have to wait for decent weather.
May 17, 2017, 05:06 PM
DavidsPlanes
Rick,

came across your build thread as a result of exchanges with Andy. Small world.

Nice kit he made you there. How's it coming along? Nice finish you applied.

I think the Scat Cat plans were among the first 10 plans (or maybe 6) I got my hands on. But that was probably around 1980...

Should move out with that R40! What's she turning?

David
May 18, 2017, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Rick,

came across your build thread as a result of exchanges with Andy. Small world.

Nice kit he made you there. How's it coming along? Nice finish you applied.

I think the Scat Cat plans were among the first 10 plans (or maybe 6) I got my hands on. But that was probably around 1980...

Should move out with that R40! What's she turning?

David
Hi David, I will have to see if I can still find my notes but I believe it was turning around 17K with the 9x7 prop. The Rossi 40 I bought has a 60 size carb and I have not been able to tune it so after idling for a few seconds it will accelerate to full throttle without cutting out. To get airborne I need to have someone start the plane on the runway so I can quickly get it to full throttle, let it go and within a few feet she is up in the air. For the first few circuits she is moderate but then it leans out and really picks up speed. Once in the air she runs great but I need 2 people to fly it.

I have another Rossi 40 so I pulled the standard carb and installed it in the Scat Cat. Last night I tried to run it up at the field but I could not get the engine running properly. I below into fuel line connected to the carb and the low speed port is blocked so I currently have the carb soaking in fuel to clean out the internals. For pylon racing the 60 size carb is great but I may keep an eye out for another Rossi 40 carb. I would prefer if it would idle and accelerate so I would not need help getting it in the air.
May 18, 2017, 08:24 AM
The 10mm Rossi carb is a bit different to set up and it did also take a little time to figure it out. It sounds to me like you are lean on the bottom and rich on the top although it will sound rich right off idle. The racing series that I did with my Rossi's required an idle of 4,000 rpm or lower. The engines were tached just prior to take off for the first round. Stick with it because once you get it set correctly they hold their tune really well. Using both a Rossi .45 with the 10mm carb and also a .61 with a Picco 13mm carb, I was able to snag two local championships.
Last edited by exf3bguy; May 18, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
May 18, 2017, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
The 10mm Rossi carb is a bit different to set up and it did also take a little time to figure it out. It sounds to me like you are lean on the bottom and rich on the top although it will sound rich right off idle. The racing series that I did with my Rossi's required an idle of 4,000 rpm or lower. The engines were tached just prior to take off for the first round. Stick with it because once you get it set correctly they hold their tune really well. Using both a Rossi .45 with the 10mm carb and also a .61 with a Picco 13mm carb, I was able to snag two local championships.
I will try out the std carb just for comparison but you a probably right. Once I get the plane in the air it is noticeable slower for a couple of circuits before it wakes up. It does run great with the larger carb so I will give it another go after I try the standard carb.
May 18, 2017, 09:04 AM
DavidsPlanes
Rick,

There was a comment a few posts back regarding the issue of fuel draw due to the carb position in reference to the lower tank. I would set things up on the bench with the tank midline level with the carb intake using the 10 mm if that's what you need to use for racing. Then, try lowering the tank on the bench to see how it affects the engine. Get it working and if it works right, consider rotating your engine 90 degrees CCW to level out the carb with the tank as best possible.

Other than that, getting the carb properly set per Shawn's suggestions is the only other thing I can think of.

Good luck!

David
May 18, 2017, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Rick,

There was a comment a few posts back regarding the issue of fuel draw due to the carb position in reference to the lower tank. I would set things up on the bench with the tank midline level with the carb intake using the 10 mm if that's what you need to use for racing. Then, try lowering the tank on the bench to see how it affects the engine. Get it working and if it works right, consider rotating your engine 90 degrees CCW to level out the carb with the tank as best possible.

Other than that, getting the carb properly set per Shawn's suggestions is the only other thing I can think of.

Good luck!

David
The fuel draw issue is with a different carb I installed. I bought a second used Rossi 40 with a standard size carb. I never ran it up and just swapped the carb to try out and compare on the Scat Cat. This carb is now soaking in fuel which I find works well to open up all passage ways. After I try out the standard carb in the Scat Cat I will revert back to the oversized carb and continue tweaking it.
May 22, 2019, 04:01 AM
Akabek that's a good looking plane you built there, nice work. I picked up one at a local swap meet, flew it earlier this summer and I believe it's quite a bit nose heavy. You mentioned earlier in this thread that you had to add 2oz to the tail to get CG right, but you never mentioned where the CG is located. Can you please tell me where at on the wing the CG is located, thanks.
May 22, 2019, 05:11 AM
Thread OP
Hey John, I no longer have the plans but if you see a copy online the CG is right behind the main gear block.

Quick Reply