Hubsan H501A, WiFi based but smart (in very early construction) - Page 12 - RC Groups
Jul 06, 2017, 05:27 AM
I flew into that connection-lost spot yesterday, same configuration with the phone off the relay - no problems at all this time!
This proves that it is the interference between my phone and the relay what causes the disconnection.

It is possible that some phones have less interference with the relay than the one I use - the point is that mine obviously does (the relay's WiFi "disappears" when connected to drone's WiFi while the phone sits on the relay, see my post here).

It is normal to have interference from two radio sources transmitting at near frequencies when they are placed close to each other - as the relay and phone are.
Just moving the phone 2 centimeters away lowers the interference enough to get the relay's WiFi back. Simply turning the phone 180 degrees while on the relay does not help.
It all likely depends on where the phone's antenna is located so some phones will have less problems.

From now on I am definitely flying with the phone off the relay whenever practical.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2017, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreKol
I've never had any problems with the relay. The order I go in is turn on relay, then the phone. The phone connects to the relay and then I turn on the drone. I am running Android 6 on the phone I use and I have it in airplane mode so the mobile part is shut off. Doesn't have service anyway. It does take a few minutes to get GPS accuracy when I first connect everything. I have caught on that it is the phone that slows down the GPS accuracy. I keep the GPS shut off on the phone until I am ready to use it. If I run two batteries it never pops up again.
I'm usually doing it the same way but cannot get GPS accuracy test to pass no matter what. I had it pass only twice so far but that was two weeks ago and none since.
I'm doubting the X-Hubsan app because in every other app I get the position spot on and rock solid (Google's Maps app, GPS Test app) while in X-Hubsan app the position is always off and constantly moving around.
I've posted that on the Anne's feedback thread here.
Jul 09, 2017, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrBr
I'm usually doing it the same way but cannot get GPS accuracy test to pass no matter what. I had it pass only twice so far but that was two weeks ago and none since.
I'm doubting the X-Hubsan app because in every other app I get the position spot on and rock solid (Google's Maps app, GPS Test app) while in X-Hubsan app the position is always off and constantly moving around.
I've posted that on the Anne's feedback thread here.
As a test, could you try and connect directly to the quad, instead of the relay , from your phone and see if you pass the GPS accuracy test? (The relay can be on or off doesn't matter just so long as you don't connect to it with your phone. Thanks.

--Jon
Jul 10, 2017, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkjon
As a test, could you try and connect directly to the quad, instead of the relay , from your phone and see if you pass the GPS accuracy test? (The relay can be on or off doesn't matter just so long as you don't connect to it with your phone. Thanks.

--Jon
So far it did not matter whether the phone is connected to the drone or relay.

When I tried to record it yesterday, it did not behave that way (location in Maps and X-Hubsan was consistent).
In fact, I was able to get "Good GPS accuracy" for the first time in couple of weeks (unfortunately it was after flying, with batteries at 30% so I could not test waypoints).
Interestingly, there were only 9 satellites as opposed to 11 I get normally, and only half of them with high SNR (according to GPS Test app) - and the location reported by all apps was off by several meters.
Another interesting point was that the quad location icon and phone location dot where some 3-4 meters away and were "moving" but I still got the "Good GPS accuracy". In one test the message in X-Hubsan accuracy test said the drone is 4 meters away and in next second I got the "Good GPS accuracy" result.

That makes me wonder what actually makes the test pass ...

(I did record some of it, however, I would need to edit useful parts out but I don't have time for it so it will have to wait ...)
Jul 10, 2017, 06:12 AM
Quote:
That makes me wonder what actually makes the test pass ...
S ...)
Based on what I have experienced, I think as long as it is 5 meters or less it will pass.

--Jon
Jul 10, 2017, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkjon
Based on what I have experienced, I think as long as it is 5 meters or less it will pass.

--Jon
It does seem to be one of the parameters but it is not the only one - I had the two location indicators within 1-2 meters and yet it did not pass.

This reminds me to express my wonder why is GPS accuracy test with the phone needed for waypoints - since the drone flies waypoint missions by itself (supposedly even when the connection is lost/turned off).
Jul 10, 2017, 06:49 PM
Well I was lucky today and got "good GPS accuracy" even though phone's and quad's locations in X-Hubsan app were some 6-7 m apart.
The accuracy test passed in a second every time I run it.

The quad had the usual 11 satellites and the phone the usual 9 to 11 satellites. The GPS Test app showed the usual 1 to 3 m accuracy.
What was different was that GPS Test app showed good SNR (above 20) for most of the satellites (like 8/9, 8/10, 10/11, etc.) as opposed to some 6 sats with good SNR I used to have since I started paying more attention to it.

So, that must be it - either the X-Hubsan app or the quad or both need good GPS SNR on more than 6 satellites to declare "good GPS accuracy".

That may explain the odd behavior of the X-Hubsan app I described here (position was off an "jumping" around)
I reflected on this in more details on Anne's feedback thread here.

Oh, and I flew waypoints! Drew a path of 14 waypoints and - it skipped 2, 3 and 4. Lol!
The path was a figure 8. The drone went to no. 1 then backed to home (backwards!) then flew to no. 5 and worked the rest flawlessly. Hope the new app version with that fix Anne mentioned comes out soon.

Unfortunately the screen recording app ("DU Recorder") crashed and deleted all the videos and screenshots it recorded ( really cool feature - yes, I'm looking for a replacement app).
Jul 14, 2017, 06:36 PM
This thread is starting to look like my private blog, lol!

Anyway, someone here mentioned turning the phone on right before flying makes a difference for passing "good GPS accuracy" test - and it just may be on to something.

Last two times when I got the test passing, before the test passed I restarted the phone as precaution because screen recording app crashed.
Today I did it on purpose to test it after the GPS accuracy test failed couple of times - and it worked!
That was third time in a row so it is definitely a pattern.

The recipe is simple:
  1. Do the usual binding, compass calibration stuff and initial/automatic GPS accuracy test.
  2. If/when GPS accuracy test fails, exit X-Hubsan app and restart the phone.
  3. When the phone restarts wait until all background apps/services start (including X-Hubsan's location services).
  4. Start X-Hubsan app and do the GPS accuracy test (may need to start it manually: Settings / Others / GPS accuracy test) - and it passes!
I need to confirm this behavior couple of more times to be sure it is what it seems to be before I report it in Anne's feedback thread.
Anyone else having the GPS accuracy issues?

Oh, I'm talking about Android here. Don't know if it works on iPhones. And it may be a phone issue too.
Jul 15, 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote:
This thread is starting to look like my private blog, lol!

Anyway, someone here mentioned turning the phone on right before flying makes a difference for passing "good GPS accuracy" test - and it just may be on to something.

Last two times when I got the test passing, before the test passed I restarted the phone as precaution because screen recording app crashed.
Today I did it on purpose to test it after the GPS accuracy test failed couple of times - and it worked!
That was third time in a row so it is definitely a pattern.

The recipe is simple:
  1. Do the usual binding, compass calibration stuff and initial/automatic GPS accuracy test.
  2. If/when GPS accuracy test fails, exit X-Hubsan app and restart the phone.
  3. When the phone restarts wait until all background apps/services start (including X-Hubsan's location services).
  4. Start X-Hubsan app and do the GPS accuracy test (may need to start it manually: Settings / Others / GPS accuracy test) - and it passes!
I need to confirm this behavior couple of more times to be sure it is what it seems to be before I report it in Anne's feedback thread.
Anyone else having the GPS accuracy issues?

Oh, I'm talking about Android here. Don't know if it works on iPhones. And it may be a phone issue too.
When I can't pass the GPS accuracy test I just shut off the GPS on the phone and turn it back on. Sometimes it takes several off and on's but most of the time it works right away.
Jul 17, 2017, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreKol
When I can't pass the GPS accuracy test I just shut off the GPS on the phone and turn it back on. Sometimes it takes several off and on's but most of the time it works right away.
I tried that today and it didn't work for me.
I tried cycling (off/on) GPS while X-Hubsan app was active but also after exiting the app, couple of times both but no joy.
Restarting the phone got me instant "good GPS accuracy".

By the way, this waiting for GPS stuff drains the battery so after I test RTH, I have only 80%-83% left.
I'm thinking about connecting a power bank or similar to the charging connector while it is on the ground ... Anyone done that?
Jul 17, 2017, 02:49 PM

App v1.3.5 is out

I just noticed - the version 1.3.5 has been released yesterday - and the two lost "what's new"points returned with it:
1. Modify the H501A / H507A jump point problem
2. Optimize H507 several minor problems

Came too late to test it today, though.
Jul 21, 2017, 02:01 PM
Is follow me mode working for anyone using the App with the H501A? After upgrading to the latest firmware ( FC 1.1.38, RX 1.1.30) and apps, I still get the "Follow Mode Exited" message.

--Jon