Help with putting 450 into a fuselage - RC Groups
Feb 18, 2017, 05:32 PM
Discussion

Help with putting 450 into a fuselage

Hi all,

I just got a nice ALZRC fuselage from my GF for my birthday. The quality looks great and it came with all sorts of extra stuff in a bag to install the heli. My plan is to put a Kbar on my FBL HK 450 GT Pro that has a ZYX-S currently & then install it. I prefer the Kbars to the ZYX so I figure best to do it before the fuselage install.

My question is I have no idea how to install the heli into a fuse so I'm hoping some of you might have and can give me some help or guidance? I 'm not sure how to fasten the bird onto the wood platform inside of it.....One other question is it okay to have Rx inside the fuselage in terms of signal reception? Looking forward to suggestions.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2017, 12:01 PM
some one can probably help in scale helicopters section.
Feb 19, 2017, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prop bender
some one can probably help in scale helicopters section.
Thx I didn't realize there was a section for that I posted over there now so will see. Thx PB for the tip!
Feb 20, 2017, 05:35 PM
banging head on wall
Check out heliartist http://www.heliartist.com/showroom/ Look at the 450 md500 and download the manual should help here's the link to the manual http://www.heliartist.com/showroom/d...00D_Manual.pdf most of the scale fuselages same manufacturer subtle differences
Last edited by skyeblu; Feb 20, 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Feb 20, 2017, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu
Check out heliartist http://www.heliartist.com/showroom/ Look at the 450 md500 and download the manual should help here's the link to the manual http://www.heliartist.com/showroom/d...00D_Manual.pdf most of the scale fuselages same manufacturer subtle differences
Thx that is likely a good start for me. Another question can I use CA for the plastic skids to glue them in place or any plastic parts that would need gluing in general? I found an Align manual & it mentions AB glue whatever that is......I assume I use wood glue for the gluing of any wood shims together?

EDIT: AB glue seems to be 2 step Epoxy?

One more question will I need to remove my tail servo from the rear frame where it is mounted and install it on the boom of my heli to make this work? The Align manual mentions moving the tail servo onto the boom?
Last edited by qcman; Feb 20, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Feb 20, 2017, 10:47 PM
banging head on wall
Check this out http://heliaddict.blogspot.com/2010/...-trex-450.html more on building step by step with videos good luck
Feb 21, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu
Check this out http://heliaddict.blogspot.com/2010/...-trex-450.html more on building step by step with videos good luck
That's great! Thank you! I ordered a tail servo mount to move it onto the boom but hopefully I won't need to make a custom bracket for the tail servo like he has made. It certainly is trickier to do than I expected but I will be fine I think thx to your help so far!
Feb 21, 2017, 12:49 PM
Screwed Again My Friend
I have mine mounted on the boom . You need a small servo though so get a good one . Expect to put it in and out a few times before gluing everything in . Make sure it is all set to fly way before you put in in there because setup will be hard to impossible . Also if running gyros , have them acsessable in front and make sure they are on the helicopter frame or it won't work right .

Good luck . We'll keep the light on for you
The best reason I like flybar copters , one tail gyro to worry about
Feb 21, 2017, 01:02 PM
Thx Jombo, yeah I have a 9257 clone servo on it right now which is larger than some so maybe that is too big?? I have been running Turnigy 306G on a couple of helis on the tail with good success so I may just buy one of those and put it on instead.

Either that or scavenge one off the other birds and put the 9257 on one of them. But I hate messing with other birds when they are flying well I have been bitten by that in the past when I fooled with them.... So new servo it is!
Last edited by qcman; Feb 21, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Feb 23, 2017, 01:36 PM
Screwed Again My Friend
The MD500 is a cool build . I have paperwork with mine if you get stuck along the way and can help you out . It doesn't go in as easily as the plans make it out , some finegaling of the heli kit to make it work . On the sticks they tell you to put together and epoxy , there should be arrows , point them to the front . Then do not glue anything until you have the frame and heli kit mounted on the plate , slid in the fuselage and everything level ,and you can get to the tail easily . You may need to shim it up in the back or the whole heli frame . I used rubber hose flat washers to raise mine . But anything works and as long as it's mounted firmly to the plywood .

To hold the wood frame together I just used duct tape . Then when I found where I wanted to mount it and shimmed up I used a sharpie and drew the frame out where I would mount it to the ply.
Nov 04, 2017, 09:59 PM
So I thought I would chime back in on this.... I still haven't installed in the fuse but did change the hardware to get ready for that. In my great wisdom I saw a 3 blade Copterx head on Banggood for the 450 so I bought it to put on to make it more authentic.

And it seems I am over my head with that. I have all sorts of binding. The head came with a main shaft that is not the right one for my 450 so I used a normal mainshaft and someone on BG noted theirs came with the wrong shaft too. One thing that is binding is the radius arm will hit the swash balls at certain points say at high pitch with some cyclic interaction etc.. I'm thinking I may need to shorten the servo to swash links to get more clearance on that? But I really don't know LOL.

I've read that I may need to 'phase" the 3 blade head but I have no idea what to do and googling hasnt yielded much help either. I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance?? heres the product link on BG... https://www.banggood.com/CopterX-CX4...r_warehouse=CN

I don't want to give up on this yet this isn't a rush project so I'm hoping I can figure it out. I am using a K-Bar BTW too. I also read that using normal 325 mm blades may not be ideal either and may need scale style ones?
Last edited by qcman; Nov 04, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Nov 04, 2017, 11:15 PM
Can you mount that radius arm higher on the shaft, right underneath the actual head? In the picture it looks like there is still a 5mm or so gap. If you move it up the radius arm will be more vertical - hopefully that helps.
Phasing means that a blade along the boom does not move when you give it elevator input. You can likely achieve that by twisting the head w.r.t. the radius arm. The linkages won't be vertical any more in that case, but that does not matter unless the angle is extreme.
Nov 05, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi
Can you mount that radius arm higher on the shaft, right underneath the actual head? In the picture it looks like there is still a 5mm or so gap. If you move it up the radius arm will be more vertical - hopefully that helps.
Phasing means that a blade along the boom does not move when you give it elevator input. You can likely achieve that by twisting the head w.r.t. the radius arm. The linkages won't be vertical any more in that case, but that does not matter unless the angle is extreme.
Hi sorry for the late reply saw you posted in the other thread thank you!
Nov 05, 2017, 03:28 PM
Maybe you should leave a link to the other thread here, and close this one.
Nov 05, 2017, 11:14 PM
Here is where this continues with much help so far from Don on that forum!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...up-help/page10