Etrich Taube 3 channel indoor model from Fiddler's Green plans - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 16, 2017, 12:39 PM
Build Log

Etrich Taube 3 channel indoor model from Fiddler's Green plans

My first attempt at a complete scratch build RC plane from depron using Fiddler's Green plans as a template. Not really completely sure how I'm going to do this but so far I've made what I think is a pretty good start on the fuselage. The plan is to power this with a Horizon Hobby Champ brick and motor and have a 3 channel control, slow indoor micro.

The Fiddlers Green plans are attached below, but if you want to use them, please go to Fiddlersgreen.net and pay the $4.95 to legally download the PDF's, which will both work better than the jpegs below, and avoid copyright violations. It's a great site for airplane lovers and well worth supporting!

I stopped work on this at midnight...then spent most of the night tossing and turning thinking about what the next step should be and how I'm going to actually make the wings, with undercamber and some dihedral. Probably going to use some balsa, plywood and/or carbon fiber strip on this, so it will likely be a hybrid and not strictly a depron plane.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll update this Build Log as I go. Your comments and tips are welcome!

-Bob
Last edited by Altbob; Nov 01, 2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Changed title of Build Log
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2017, 06:46 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Something like this ??? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=taube+gpw
Feb 16, 2017, 08:54 PM
Yeah, same plane, but a more to scale hopefully. I want to do the rigging, an undercambered airfoil, spoked wheels and I really like the Fiddler's Green version of the Etrich. I may even use those two cartoonish pilots if weight isn't a problem. Hoping the HH Champ brick and motor will be enough to power it. Gotta keep it very light...
Feb 18, 2017, 02:14 PM
Ambitious project!

rick p
Feb 20, 2017, 08:47 PM
So I found a nice blueprint on the internet. All in German, and the resolution is such that it prints out pretty blurry/jaggy on 11x17 paper, but it's good enough that I can at least get the angles of the internal formers for the fuselage. These formers are too small to be useful in forming the turtle deck, but I don't know if I need formers for that anyway. The fuselage now has the proper cross-section profile, and is considerably stronger.

Next up, I need to mount the UMX brushed motor and gearbox...
Last edited by Altbob; Jun 14, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Feb 21, 2017, 02:40 AM
This will be fun. I bought b and printed their taube to build as a card model but haven't gotten around to it.
Feb 21, 2017, 10:07 AM
That's great kdahlhaus Glad to have you following along.

Keep in mind that I printed out my Fiddler's Green plans sized up to 200% in poster format, which prints on four sheets of 8.5 x 11" paper. I tape this together into a poster, and then cut the parts out one by one.

It might be useful to make the paper model just to see how the parts all fit together. Makes for a nice desktop display. I made one many years ago (older FG version), and put all the rigging on it. I keep it on a bookshelf in my office (photos below).
Last edited by Altbob; Feb 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice job Bob !!!
Feb 21, 2017, 08:35 PM
That looks great!
Feb 22, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys! Keep in mind this is the older FG Taube model. The newer one, which came out in 2013, is much more to scale and is what I'm using for this RC project.

I made some more progress last night and will post some updated photos soon. Been giving the landing gear a lot of thought. Going with a true scale version is going to be very painstaking. I may end up just using some DuBro 1.5" wheels here.
Feb 24, 2017, 03:23 PM
OK, so this is kind of a big update, although it may not look like much, lol. Installation of the Horizon Hobbies Champ Gearbox with Motor (part HBZ4930).

The critical thing here is to get the prop shaft sitting at 2 degrees down-thrust and right-thrust. That's just my guess at what the angles should be, mind you. With the huge empennage of the Taube, that might not be enough. But it will be a royal pain to change it, so let's keep our collective finger's crossed!

I've described the steps in the photos below, so I won't repeat all of that here. This whole operation took about 3 hours of careful sizing, shaping foam, screwing up and starting over, etc, etc. I know it doesn't seem like it would take that long, but what can I say? I enjoyed myself, so that's all that matters.

Sorry this update took me a couple days to get to. I'm pretty busy at work right now, so my updates will be a bit sporadic at times. I hope you all find this interesting and come back to check on my progress despite the periods of seeming inactivity

Comments and questions are always welcome!
Feb 25, 2017, 09:54 PM
I`ll be following this build, i love the old Taubes. Would love to build one that flew with wing warping and not hinged ailerons. Looking forward to more build pics
Feb 25, 2017, 11:49 PM
I'll make a larger one with wing warping eventually, but this is just going to be a 3 channel indoor foamie. I'll try to do more work on this tomorrow, but I'm leaving for a vacation in a couple days and my time is pretty tight between then and now. Thanks for following along - I think it'll be worth it
Mar 13, 2017, 12:00 PM
I got back from vacation on Saturday and after a day of unpacking and reorienting myself to my surroundings, got back into this project.

Just figuring out what to do next in a project without instructions is always challenging. I think it makes sense that the next step be the parts of the landing gear that contact the lower fuselage, as this area will be very hard to access once the electronics are installed, and even harder to get to once the cockpit coverings and turtledeck are on.

My hope is to make a historically accurate set of Etrich Taube, pre-war or early war landing gear. These are pretty hard to make. The configuration is very similar to a Bleriot's landing gear, which I have made before from scratch for a static model (see photo below). The main difference is that the Taube dispensed with the "bedstand", and had the landing gear attach to a fixed undercarriage, with the forward vertical bar attaching to the leading edge spar on the wing.

Making a working set of landing gear will likely be harder. For one thing, I will need to solder, rather than glue all the wire joints, lest they fall apart in a hard landing. For another, I can't afford to be more than 1 degree off center on anything, or the plane will ground loop and fishtail all over the place on landings and take offs. The only compromise I plan to make at this point is that I will use 1.5" dubro wheels rather than try to make spoked wheels from scratch with a jig (I did this on the Bleriot and it nearly cost me my sanity. They ended up looking great, but they are not 100% "true", and again, on a working model it's more important that the wheels be as straight and true as possible). I may also skip making the shock absorbers actually work. It's not really necessary. I'll hold off on a final decision on the shocks, as I can cross that bridge later. For now I am only making the fuselage undercarriage, which is a solid piece.

What makes all of this harder still is that I have not been able to find a good set of drawings for 1914 Etrich Taube landing gear. The one set of plans that I do have is very low resolution. I will have to scour the 'net for photos when the time comes to complete this.

For now, this is what I have done. The main thing that I think I've accomplished is getting the undercarriage struts inserted into the lower fuselage at the proper angles, and glued in place (since I will not have good access to this area later). The rest can be adjusted as needed later. When scratch-building I usually resign myself to having to take various parts apart and put them back together a few times as unforeseen issues always arise...
Mar 14, 2017, 02:20 AM
Coming along nicly, looking forward to the next installment