Global Drone Regulations Database

If you are traveling to other countries with a drone, you'll want a simple and easy way to find out what the drone or UAS regulations are before you go. That's where the Global Drone Regulations Database comes in. It's a website that hosts a directory that summarizes national drone laws all the world...

Splash

Quickly Find Drone Regulations

If you are traveling to other countries with a drone, you'll want a simple and easy way to find out what the drone or UAS regulations are before you go. That's where the Global Drone Regulations Database comes in. It's a website that hosts a directory of national drone laws all the world. They want you to have quick access to this summarized information along with additional resources as well as links to the regulatory documents. This means you can make sure you are operating your drone safely and in accordance with any drone regulations that exist where you are flying.

The drone regulations database was originally a Wikipedia page set up by UAViators back in 2014. The next two years the page was funded DG ECHO, enhanced and had contributing partners come on board like Parrot and SenseFly. Because regulations change so fast, users can contribute and update the database by registering on the site. Once registered you can make edits to the country database pages for all to see.

It's a simple webpage where you can search for your country by name or simply click on the country you want info for on the map. On the country page, you'll find a list of laws and regulations for that country along with any user provided travel experiences and tips. They also provide Legal Sources, Contact Info and Related articles on the page. Do note that there is a disclaimer stating that the content provided is only offered as general information and that they do not provide legal advice and cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information. So while this is a great resource and a quick way to look up drone regulations by country, it should not be used as a legal source.

Check out the Global Drone Regulation Database Here

Feb 16, 2017, 09:53 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Excellent idea! Very helpful to have this info available on a dedicated website.

Curious to see how it will do in terms of completeness and accuracy. It's on the Interwebs, so it must be true, right? OTOH, online knowledge databases like Wikipedia set a high bar in terms of user-generated and -reviewed content. Hoping for the latter, obviously.
Feb 16, 2017, 10:09 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
PS: Submitted info to register on the website. Looks like registrations are reviewed by human moderators, as I have yet to receive a response.

Was browsing through information for some of the countries I'm familiar with. The info seems pretty high level, referring to which authorities have jurisdiction and/or what legal texts apply. This provides good theoretical leads. However, it may or may not give e.g. a traveling RC or FPV pilot the practical details they would need to make real-life flying decisions.

Also, I've only seen one registered user who has provided comments so far. Seems like the website is a recent initiative, which is just getting started. (The actual data seems to have been compiled in early 2016.) Will presumably take some time for users/editors to catch on.
Last edited by Brainstorm; Feb 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: reworded comments about website content
Feb 16, 2017, 10:35 AM
RCG Staff
Thanks for sharing.
Feb 17, 2017, 09:17 AM
Not actually a "Drone" database. No ground, marine or surface info. It's a "UAV" or "sUAS" database. The authors should probably use the correct terminology if they want professional legitimacy.
Feb 17, 2017, 10:21 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp
Not actually a "Drone" database. No ground, marine or surface info. It's a "UAV" or "sUAS" database. The authors should probably use the correct terminology if they want professional legitimacy.
Sorry Bill, I think you're in the minority by questioning professional legitimacy based solely on including underwater and surface based vehicles as drones. We all know the dreaded D word conjures up images of flying contraptions. And if you want to get technical, Werriam Webster defines drone as: an unmanned aircraft or ship guided by remote control or onboard computers. So no mention of ground-based vehicles. Partial legitimacy restored?
Feb 17, 2017, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Sorry Bill, I think you're in the minority by questioning professional legitimacy based solely on including underwater and surface based vehicles as drones. We all know the dreaded D word conjures up images of flying contraptions. And if you want to get technical, Werriam Webster defines drone as: an unmanned aircraft or ship guided by remote control or onboard computers. So no mention of ground-based vehicles. Partial legitimacy restored?
LOL - No ships?

Just calling anything drone seems unprofessional and is in contrast to the site itself, which is actually pretty nice, but uses UAV on every page I looked at.
Feb 17, 2017, 04:59 PM
I couldn't find any drone regulations for Somalia. My guess is if you pay your favorite warlord enough money you can fly all you want.
Feb 22, 2017, 07:43 PM
This came in handy for my upcoming trip overseas, thanks for the heads up.
Feb 23, 2017, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimateo
I couldn't find any drone regulations for Somalia. My guess is if you pay your favorite warlord enough money you can fly all you want.
Countries without functioning govts. and economies don't get around to drone regs.