Feb 15, 2017, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig 1/6 clipped wing cub

I am building the sig 1/6 clipped wing cub, is an os fs 48 surpass a good engine for this cub or not?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 10:15 PM
If you intend to do some wild aerobatics, it's probably a good choice, should be equivalent to a good .40 2-stroke. Make sure wing strut attachments are secure. Sig 1/6 Cub has limited space for fuel tank but 4S engines use less fuel.
Feb 16, 2017, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Is the os48 to much engine for just a casual flyer?
Feb 16, 2017, 11:13 AM
Will be okay, cruise at 1/2 throttle. Tip: Use two prop nuts on 4S engines Tighten outer nut against inner nut to prevent throwing prop off while starting.
Make sure wing is perpendicular to fuselage, not cockeyed. Use a little right and down thrust . If you are inexperienced have somebody check out model and maybe test fly and trim it out for you. Use modest control throws while you are getting familiar with it. Don't fly tail heavy and don't fly with wing warps. Wheels should be parallel or slightly toed in (pigeon toed). Practice takeoff runs using gentle nudges of right rudder to keep straight against torque. Use up elevator to keep tailwheel on ground for steering during start of takeoff, release elevator to let tail rise and steer with rudder. Let model lift off when ready with LITTLE up elevator input at 3/4 throttle, keep climb angle low to avoid stalling, Use rudder with ailerons for turns to bring tail around. Use aileron/rudder mix with a fair amount of rudder with an on/off switch if your transmitter has this feature. Keep some speed while turning and setting up for landing to avoid stalling. Reduce throttle to let model settle down to runway. Land on main wheels until you get a feel for model's stalling speed. Clip wing Cubs are not floaters. Good luck ! Here's my electric powered Sig 1/6 Cub, now being repaired and recovered.
Feb 16, 2017, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Awesome cub!!! Thanks for the info
Feb 16, 2017, 07:53 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Here are some data points for you:

I have a full wing Sig 1/6 cub. I flew it for years with a Magnum 30 four stroke. It would do a loop from level flight, but was about scale power. My friend has the cub with an older OS 26 four stroke and he has to do a shallow dive to get enough speed for a loop. I now have a Saito 40 four stroke in the same plane and it has much more than scale power; it does not have unlimited vertical but it is close. I can do knife edge all around the pattern, which looks just plain weird for a cub. I use about 1/3 of a 6 oz. tank on a 10 minute flight. I would suspect a 48 four stroke would just barely give unlimited vertical.
Feb 17, 2017, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Ok thanks for the info!!
Feb 17, 2017, 11:36 AM
My full wing electric powered Cub has a .40 equivalent brushless running on two 3S 2200mah lipos in parallel . Model will loop or roll after a little dive, It will do outside loops with sufficient altitude, also does inverted for short periods. It needs a fair amount of aileron for rolls. It tends to glide too far and winds up in weeds at end of our short strip in calm air. Be careful not to stall during landings. Mine is a little heavy with age and repairs.
Feb 17, 2017, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiman69
I am building the sig 1/6 clipped wing cub, is an os fs 48 surpass a good engine for this cub or not?
Apologies for going off thread but I always wanted to build an electric version of the SIG 1/5th scale Anniversary Edition Cub.

How is your build progressing, luigiman?
Feb 18, 2017, 12:22 AM
Aerotony,

The 1/5 scale Sig Cub is a modern kit, easier and quicker to assemble , not quite as scale like in cabin structure as the 1/6 scale Cub but includes dummy engine. Use Dubro 3 and 3/8 Cub scale wheels with Cub logo hubcaps on1/5 scale Cub. . I'm using a pair of these wheels on my 1/6 Cub, have oversize fat look like tundra wheels.
Feb 18, 2017, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
I am just starting it and this is my first build. But i love to build, and I always wanted to build a balsa plane.
Feb 19, 2017, 11:00 AM
My very long build thread may be helpful in building your 1/6 scale Cub. Toward the end there are details about mounting the horizontal stabilizer that I found to be unclear in the Sig instruction pamphlet and plans. You may find other build threads on RC Universe, etc. for this particular model.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...wer-Conversion

You might get good IC power recommendations on the Scale Fuel Plane and engine forums.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 19, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Apr 10, 2017, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Your build thread is full of great information. Here is a picture of mine so far.
Apr 15, 2017, 05:03 PM
Luigiman69, I got an email notice you were inquiring about a Saito 150. Yes I still have it, if you like either email me at [email protected], or call 610-401-3172.

Bob

Quick Reply