Dumbest thing you've done with your heli? - RC Groups
Feb 15, 2017, 06:26 PM
YadTech Bropulsion Engineer
Discussion

Dumbest thing you've done with your heli?

Just wondering what dumbass things people have done over the years with their flying terrors? General crashing, brain fades and dumb thumbing are part of the hobby but extra stupid stuff deserves a mention.

I was flying my 450 on the weekend, just as I spolled up another member came over to ask me a question, I started chatting as my heli took off into a hover, not paying attention I flicked it from hover to sport mode but idiot me hit throttle hold (which was on the other side of the radio) heli just dropped like a rock from about 3 meters luckily it landed on soft grass with no damage. I just blamed an electrical fault to mask my stupidity.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 07:04 PM
Zippy Puffer

Many ways to skin the heli cat!

I've done quite a few.....

I started a 30 size nitro heli, and then got distracted doing something with the TX. When I looked back at the heli, it was gone - tho happily in a hover about 50ft away and 30ft up.

I've accidentally spooled up a heli with the wrong model memory in the TX. Reversed aileron is hard to get used to!

More recently, I tried a test hover in my driveway. Unfortunately I'd been messing with pitch curves to help track down some vibes, so the normal curve was zero degrees throughout. When I tried a hover, of course the heli wouldn't lift off, even with full high collective. Before I realised what I was doing, I hit throttle hold, which immediately fed in +13 of pitch. Even with the motor cut, the heli shot up in the air, and plopped down with no energy in the blades a couple or three seconds later.

On my 600, I was using a 2s LiFe RX pack. I've had no less than three crashes due to an over-discharged pack. Since then, I changed over to a 2s LiPo....

I still managed to find new ways of crashing. My most recent method was flying with the TX in range check mode.

Now I make myself go thru a mental pre-flight check - TX charged? Correct model memory? Range check mode off? Flight batteryies charged? RX pack charged?
Feb 15, 2017, 08:15 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
well, im sure doing a flip in normal mode will be mentioned a few times throughout the thread
(yes i did it)

EDIT: TBH, 2doggs is hard to beat with his .30nitro flying away
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Feb 15, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
Feb 15, 2017, 11:34 PM
Super BRO Bro..........Bro.
Working on the gyro on a 450 I noticed the tail acting differently with TH on so I switched it off to make the necessary adjustments.

I picked up the tail to look at the disco lights on the gyro and the blades swung forwards.

When I set the tail down the blades came up under the collective stick and the heli subsequently beat me about the head and chest till the battery came loose.
Feb 16, 2017, 12:11 AM
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
Probably buying it!

But amongst the dumbest things...

1) Going inverted in normal mode
2) Trying to take off with the tail control rod not on
3) Landing the heli like a boss.... Tail blades into dog $%!@%....

Item 3 did not need repairs, but um.... sanitary measures.
Feb 16, 2017, 01:49 AM
ouch, thats not the kind of thing any club should allow. Members should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
well, im sure doing a flip in normal mode will be mentioned a few times throughout the thread
(yes i did it)

EDIT: TBH, 2doggs is hard to beat with his .30nitro flying away
Funny you should mention that i accidently did that in phoenix. I hadnt set my model up properly so had linear pitch in normal mode with my 0 60 60 60 60 throttle. didnt notice until i needed mre collective and i landed inverted whooops.

i nose planted my 250 into the ground last month, after doing a flip thought i heard someone come into the area i was flying went into a hover looked, looked back and the heli was now half a foot of the ground couldnt see whether it was nose down or nose up bumped collective but it was too late.
Feb 16, 2017, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
More recently, I tried a test hover in my driveway. Unfortunately I'd been messing with pitch curves to help track down some vibes, so the normal curve was zero degrees throughout. When I tried a hover, of course the heli wouldn't lift off, even with full high collective. Before I realised what I was doing, I hit throttle hold, which immediately fed in +13 of pitch. Even with the motor cut, the heli shot up in the air, and plopped down with no energy in the blades a couple or three seconds later.

My most recent method was flying with the TX in range check mode.
We can stop posting, these two fails are unbeatable, especially first one
Feb 16, 2017, 02:37 AM
Corning, California
Uh, bought my first one?
Feb 16, 2017, 02:48 AM
Heligamist
I'll add firing one up and going to full speed. Looking dumbfounded why it won't take off. Then lowering the throttle to watch it launch skywards. I had pitch reversed as I was new and didn't know different models and swashes work opposite up/down for pitch.
Like 2Doggs it landed a few feet away at zero throttle tipping over and breaking a main blade.
Feb 16, 2017, 03:30 AM
Flying during winter with a muff having rescue and selflevel on a 2 way switch instead of a spring button.
The muff hit the switch without me knowing. It turned out the horizon of my brain FBL was off (maybe vibrations).
The heli just kept going away from me eventhough i steered against it (self level does limit your stick input a lot and not knowing it is active It felt more like a loss of Tx connection) until i decided to hit throttle hold and bombed it in.

I didn't know what caused it for quite a while.
Last edited by Thoemse; Feb 16, 2017 at 03:47 AM.
Feb 16, 2017, 06:11 AM
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Flying during winter with a muff having rescue and selflevel on a 2 way switch instead of a spring button.
The muff hit the switch without me knowing. It turned out the horizon of my brain FBL was off (maybe vibrations).
The heli just kept going away from me eventhough i steered against it (self level does limit your stick input a lot and not knowing it is active It felt more like a loss of Tx connection) until i decided to hit throttle hold and bombed it in.

I didn't know what caused it for quite a while.
Yes, it's always the muff!
Feb 16, 2017, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez

Oh no during summertime I shall blame the insects. Pesky little buggers those.

On a serious note: After that incident i opened up my DX8 and moved the sprung button to a good spot to use that one for rescue. Much better now.
Feb 16, 2017, 08:08 AM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez
Darn thing is always causing blood circulation problems.
Feb 16, 2017, 08:31 AM
Super BRO Bro..........Bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
Darn thing is always causing blood circulation problems.

Wrong Muff.
Feb 16, 2017, 09:51 AM
Heligamist
Another dumb thing was I put on a used