NEW Avios Bush Mule from Hobby King - RC Groups
Feb 15, 2017, 03:05 PM
Discussion

NEW Avios Bush Mule from Hobby King

I was an early buyer and fan of the Hobby King SkyMule. In fact, my SkyMule became my "go to" plane for all weather and had over 400 flights on it before I finally lost it to pilot error.

So, I am very pleased to see Hobby King has brought the plane back, although much improved and with enough differences to rate a new name, BushMule.

Avios Bush Mule, 1500mm STOL PnF Twin - HobbyKing Announcement Daily (6 min 25 sec)

I am looking forward to getting a new 'Mule in my hanger.
Last edited by WVrailfan; Feb 15, 2017 at 07:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 03:11 PM
DFS#000178
I want the wing. I want to know if the main gear from the old Mule will fit on the new Mule's wing.

Flaps, better outer panel mounting, LEDs, actual cowls, proper motor mounting for non-bell motors all look like great upgrades but I don't want to completely retire my Mule. I'd rather just buy the new wing and paint and keep flying. So if the V1 Mule's mains will mount to the new wing I'll be ordering the complete wing as soon as it's available.

Also, WVrailfan, I can't wait to see what kind of color scheme I can borrow from you next time.
Feb 15, 2017, 03:19 PM
I think Stuart Warne will be on here occasionally to answer questions. He is behind the upgraded version of the Mule.

Just from watching the video, I doubt the plastic mounting holes for the original SkyMule gear will be part of the new wing. Since they moved the gear to the bottom of the fuselage and are completely changing the connecting method of the outer wing panels, leaving the old landing gear mounting plates would serve no real purpose.

But, I could be wrong, I haven't seen the plane up close.

Also, if the new wing isn't compatible with the old gear, if you have the plastic mounting plates from your original Mule, you may be able to remove some foam and install them in the new wing.

Jim
Feb 15, 2017, 04:03 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
It looks good but I find that it sits too high on floats, it kills the look on floats
Paul
Feb 15, 2017, 04:15 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Jim I cant wait to see how your Bushmule will turn out

I think it looks great on the big fat Bushwheels
Paul
Feb 15, 2017, 04:56 PM
BMFA 190658
Ok I'm a convert, wasn't that keen on the gear initially, but I've just watched the video and now I'm really wanting this Bush Mule!

It'll be my first Twin and probably my first serious FPV platform. I've put cameras on planes before, just never flown FPV, I'm not keen on the prop arc from a single...

I only intend to fly LOS though. The FPV will just be on a monitor to get an onboard vantage point to help coordinate turns.

Tony
Feb 15, 2017, 05:27 PM
I flew my SkyMule with a Mobius on board countless times. I fly LOS, but the plane is great for aerial imaging.

The plane is large enough and powerful enough that the camera had little to no effect on the CG or flying characteristics, regardless of where I placed the camera.

Sky Mule at sunset (3 min 4 sec)

Late Winter Flying (4 min 57 sec)

Jim
Feb 15, 2017, 07:59 PM
Just put the camera in the wing, I did that with the Funcub works well. I used a micro camera and added OSD. to fly, just have to remember it is in the left wing when going in a tight place
Feb 15, 2017, 08:24 PM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Hi guy's, glad to see a constructive thread has sprung up on the Bushmule.

To answer some questions.
- You'll be able to mount the full wing from the SM on the BM and vise versa.
- You can NOT use the old gear on the new wing, the UC now only mounts on the fuselage
- Floats are indeed a little tall, we thought the same thing. The model shown in the video was pre-production as mentioned, and in production the struts on the optional floats will be shorter.

If you guys like I can post some pictures over the next couple of weeks as it goes forward into production. Also look out for some float flying footage in this weeks weekly update.

Expect release late April/May sometime.

S.
Feb 15, 2017, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Warne
Hi guy's, glad to see a constructive thread has sprung up on the Bushmule.

If you guys like I can post some pictures over the next couple of weeks as it goes forward into production. Also look out for some float flying footage in this weeks weekly update.

Expect release late April/May sometime.

S.
Yes please! I've been thinking I need to add my first twin to the hanger and the bush mule looks perfect!
Feb 16, 2017, 12:35 AM
Will the new style "Squishy" wheels be a consideration over the foam ones? (As featured on the new Tundra)
Feb 16, 2017, 01:51 AM
Want!!!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2017, 02:33 AM
BMFA 190658
A few questions if I may please, Stuart:

I see the new Bush Mule has a tail door.
Does this replace the side hatch on the Sky Mule?

If I really wanted the old style 'Islander' look of the wing mounted gear I can fit the original Sky Mule wing.
What happens to the wiring for the LEDs that the BM has in its wing?

Hopefully this means you don't use those PCBs that are a bit temperamental!

Tony
Feb 16, 2017, 05:12 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
You can retro fit the new color tundra wheels to the BM if you wish, but they are bigger than the B mains so it might look a little odd.

The BM retains the side access do too, though this open here has been reinforced.

The old style gear can NOT be mounted to the new BM wing out of the box. Of course if you wanted to modify and mount it you could, but I haven't done it myself as the new gear on the fuselage is WAY stronger and more resilient.

Simple Y-leads on the wing.

S.
Feb 16, 2017, 06:17 AM
The new Mule looks great, the improvements are vast and everything we could have hoped for! The liveries are great too!

Well done Stu!