New Products Flash Sale

6 Things a Drone Pilot Might Find Handy...

If FPV flying is your passion then here is a list of some items that will come in handy at the field when you take to the skies with your drone. These are things you might not think of that can make all the difference.

Splash

A list of things a drone pilot needs but might not know it yet.

When you head out to fly there are always lists to consider. When you fly FPV, the list is usually longer. The editors at RCGroups not only write about all the various products out there for FPV pilots, we also have flight experience with many of the great offerings from the companies making drone specific solutions for our flight needs. When we hit the field, it is usually for a review so we have to bring all the essentials to get the job done.

Here is a list of things that are invaluable to me and what I take to the field when we head out to review a remote control product, or when we just fly for fun.

1. Backpack

You have seen them but you might not own one. I have multiple backpacks for multiple reasons. I have one backpack that is dedicated to my goggles. Everything goggle related lives in that pack. That includes antennas, cables, battery connectors, lens cloths, a battery checker and of course the goggles. I usually carry more than one set of goggles in my pack. The reasoning on the goggle backpack is that I know everything is in it. I don't have to triple check that I have everything before I head out, I know it's in the backpack. A key here is to make sure you put everything back in your backpack when you are done.

I also have backpacks for my quads. This follows the same formula of keeping everything for a specific quad in a single pack. It stays in the bag in my shop and is ready to roll when I head out. Keep it simple!

2. Monitor

Whether you are flying a quad or an RC plane, if you are flying in the goggles I fully believe you need a monitor on and functioning. Monitors are a great backup if your goggles stop working. It is also great to have your feed in the monitor when people are curious about what you are doing. You can continue to fly and have them look into the monitor. My experience has shown that this keeps them busy while you fly which is less distracting for you. All of my monitors have a built in DVR. I use this almost every time I go out.

Sharp Vision FPV Ground Station - RCGroups Review (15 min 45 sec)

3.Battery Checker

I know it seems obvious but you have to have a battery checker. I might even suggest you carry a couple. I keep one in my goggle bag. I use it to test packs on my goggles, my monitor and definitely on my aircraft. I not only use them before the flight but I use them after to see how much time I have on a pack and how much is left in the pack. A battery checker can save you in multiple ways. Check your batteries!

ReadyMadeRC Lipo Battery Tester and Alarm - RCGroups.com (3 min 29 sec)

4. Essential Tools

At the very least you need a wrench for your props. I have pusher planes that should never break a prop but I'll end up trying to fly between two things that don't want to be flown between and break a prop. If you don't have the tool you will be done for the day. I don't always take every single tool but I do have on hand all the little things I usually need. What you need to bring depends on what you fly but you will soon figure out which are the essentials for you.

5. Chair

A chair? Really? Yes! I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to fly and realized how nice a chair would be. If I'm out flying with a friend and they are up I usually put the goggles on and ride along. Then I realize I'm going to be standing for the next hour. That's when you realize you should have brought a chair. When you are in the goggles and flying is another great time you could simply sit down and enjoy the experience. Since I could not remember to pack a chair I now carry 3 fold-up chairs in my truck at all times.

Chairpak - The Ultimate FPV Accessory (6 min 15 sec)

6. USB Power Pack

I have had multiple USB power packs over the years. The one thing they all had in common is how handy they were. Today we are lucky to have pretty compact USB chargers that provide lots of power for a low price. I have DVRs that use USB for power, I have goggles that also need be charged via USB as well as monitors. A USB power pack can also run one of your units if it runs out of juice. It will save your phone and that could be important if you need to call the other half to let them know you are going to be late getting home!

Tell Us Your Essentials!

That is my list of essentials that I carry to the field with me. Maybe there is something there you had not thought of. I'm sure I haven't covered everything so be sure to post your essentials in this thread!

Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:07 PM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
Hmm, none of those items are on my list
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Jason Cole
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH View Post
Hmm, none of those items are on my list
Well, don't leave us hanging... What is on your list?
Administrator
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:37 PM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
double post, oops
Last edited by WJH; Feb 15, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:43 PM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Well, don't leave us hanging... What is on your list?
I am pretty boring,
Airplane
Radio
Laptop
Batteries
Goggles

I must be doing it wrong, maybe I'll evolve and find this list to be true.

I drive up to the club, take stuff out of the car, place on bench, and fly leaning against the table. Just a different style of doing it I suppose.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 08:36 PM
RCG Staff
Nothin wrong with that!
Administrator
Old Feb 15, 2017, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
My goal was to go over the stuff that's not so obvious. The extras that make it nicer.
Administrator
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:27 PM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
My goal was to go over the stuff that's not so obvious. The extras that make it nicer.
The backpack thing, thats a different type of flying, I've always done the club thing, but I can see the value in it if you were a park flyer. The pole with the antenna's, do you do that instead of having the receiver built into the goggles?
I'm always looking at ways of doing things better.
Don't have an external monitor, but one member brought his one day. It was valuable in getting other people's interest at the field.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:12 PM
RCG Staff
Yeah the pole thing is my 1.3Ghz receiver setup. For 5.8Ghz I just use the goggle receiver.
Administrator
Old Feb 16, 2017, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by mythek
ooops sorry didn't mean to violate any rules. revised my post per administrator's request.
Last edited by mythek; Feb 16, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by fr0sti
I would suggest this also in order to not cut your fingers while you are trying to launch your airplane with pusher props and absolutely no visibility on it (as you wear googles )

https://hobbyking.com/fr_fr/pedal-op...-assembly.html
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
YES!! I have been looking for something like this.
Administrator
Old Feb 18, 2017, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by scousethief
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Props................................more props...........................a few more props..........................2 more

Lots more batts

Definitely need a chair

Cigarette lighter/car adapter to power the lipo charger at the field.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Great Crouton
Delicous salad addition
I really need to find a capable backpack. I'm noobing it up big time carrying everything by hand atm, things delicately balanced on my arms to get it all done in one trip.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by BWX232
Keep Looking Up
Ice water (if it's hot).
Bug spray.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Radian XL 2.6m videos