Feb 26, 2017, 02:22 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Doing the math , the rhino 1050 lipo is 3.25 oz. so the AUW will be `!2 oz...

12oz. X 144 / 615 sq. in = 2.8 oz./ sq.ft. Pretty Light ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2017, 02:41 PM
When pigs fly rc
Wow the canopy looks great nice job
Feb 26, 2017, 03:00 PM
low tech high tech
That should look great floating around up there!
Feb 26, 2017, 03:10 PM
low tech high tech
GPW, you just gave me an idea......

...... be back soon......
Feb 26, 2017, 04:22 PM
Use whatcha got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Anyway , we got the saucer finished ... All up weight is 8.5 oz. without the battery ... so it should be a real floater ...
You need to draw the pilot in there...
Feb 26, 2017, 05:36 PM
low tech high tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Doing the math , the rhino 1050 lipo is 3.25 oz. so the AUW will be `!2 oz...

12oz. X 144 / 615 sq. in = 2.8 oz./ sq.ft. Pretty Light ...
Should make a good indoor flier!
Feb 26, 2017, 06:34 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The canopy is a blue/green Sharpie pen ... I really could have done a better job with my airbrush ...
MS, Pilot forthcoming ... after test flying ...

Indoors .... wish we had a place to do that ...

Oh , and i got Lucky too ..... with the 1050 lipo it balances exactly at 25% ...
Feb 26, 2017, 09:33 PM
low tech high tech
Gpw, I had a set of UF pieces cut out from a few years ago, never put together, I once built your UFO, and I found patterns for my last Pete, so.......what do you get when you cross a Universal Fuselage a UFO and and a Pete stab?

A UFAutosaucer, of course!
Feb 27, 2017, 05:55 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
VT, that's strange ... but Cool !!!
Feb 27, 2017, 08:23 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Ya know , that really should fly well ... Lots of area eh !!!

Meanwhile , back on the farm ... The search continues for a new radio , and with the assistance of MS have pretty much narrowed it down to a Taranas Q X7 ... Much more than I need , much less than I’d expect to pay ... Plus I already have two FrSky ACCST Rx’s... That was along with the 2.4G Tx conversion board ( and new antenna) , I originally got for the MP2K and chickened out ... ( It’s still working Fine as is ) But I do have other old TX’s to convert ... seems easy , just haven’t gotten around to that ... a new radio ... Yeah !!! Only thing .... everybody is out of stock ...
Last edited by gpw; Feb 27, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Feb 27, 2017, 08:49 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And then ... a couple weeks ago , MS showed up with some EPP ... Big sheets of ~ 4mm? It’s very floppy but ultra light ... which naturally gives rise to the idea that it might make a really LIGHT flier ... ??? Has to be braced somehow ... but we can’t add weight ... Once again a disc comes to mind ... Hmmm? I guess this would be easy for regular indoor fliers ?

... and we have plenty of EPP to experiment with ...
Feb 27, 2017, 09:39 AM
low tech high tech
Glides so far, GPW onto the bed, if I tape a 9 volt battery and 4 quarters to the nose! I kinda like the old autogyros, but this one is kind of a cheater version. I started thinking about it after seeing some Rogallo models, and then your saucer. Too bad the disk can't be clear.
Feb 27, 2017, 10:21 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Actually there’s some old disk planes like that (parasol) which supposedly flew pretty good ... I suspect as with all things mass produced , the more conventional wings were easier and cheaper to reproduce ... so the idea of a disk plane faded away ... Till flying saucers started to visit ...
Feb 27, 2017, 10:39 AM
flyin' fool
Four mm EPP is pretty thin, so a light coat of 3M77 and double it up. Plus, check out laminating film. Nothing sticks to EPP except lam film and you don't need to prep the foam. Super cheap too. Lots of vids on 'how to' at youtube.

With small light builds I use CF flats and split them into smaller widths. Or, you could use FG rods from Dollar Store kites.

I buy my EPP is slabs and custom cut my own sheets for less than half of what the LHS charges.
Feb 27, 2017, 10:43 AM
low tech high tech
Gee, I didn't realize I was building scale!

Funny I was just thinking about chopping the nose a bit and doing a radial cowl ring last night, and long LG legs, too.

I borrowed a Kellet style fin, and Pete stab. Looks like whoever built that one grabbed a Pietenpol fin!

Since those autogyros were flying billboards, what do you think if this one advertised something like "House of Gumbo"?

Quick Reply