Feb 24, 2017, 11:04 AM
low tech high tech
Sorry to hear that GPW -- totally different DX6 than the new ones, and no idea if it has the DX6i elevon problem. Yours has 10 model capacity. The "new DX6" has 250. I wish Spektrum would stop recycling its names to different computer transmitters!

Yours is supposedly "DSM" compatible. But does that include compatibility with DSM2 or DSMX? I don't know how backward compatible various receivers are. What receiver do you have for it, and have you set it up and tried it out -- just wiggling a servo?
Last edited by vtdiy; Feb 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2017, 12:20 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Naa, haven’t had a chance to try it out yet , still have to figure how to work it , and right now , I don’t know if that’s worth the trouble ... The rx included is an AR6000 DSM ... So after going through making up a battery pack for it and finding out the charge plug is wired backwards ( tip neg , sleeve pos. ) charger was naturally not included ... AARGH !!! Guess I’ll just “bag this whole deal “ and use what I have for now ( ACE MP2K ) ... for my little bit of isolated test flying/video , it shouldn't be a problem ... if it is , then we’ll get something new 'er ...

I was kinda’ looking at a Taranas Tx ... anybody heard of those ... ??? My problem is I don’t know ( your word here) about 2.4G ... now so many encoding methods ... very confusing for geezers ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 24, 2017, 12:37 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Here’s what we have ... (?)
Feb 24, 2017, 01:32 PM
flyin' fool
I could give you a big long story why I did, but I went with the new Spektrum DX6 and a pile of Orange RXs. Even bought a new Orange T6 RX for $60, that's half MY price from HK. Like them both, except with the DX6 I've got another nagging woman on my hands.

Lots of Taranis TXs here to check out in helping to decide and lots of used ones for sale, especially from old dudes who had trouble figuring them out. But, the big plus is that you can put in your own voice that will tell you what a great pilot you are every time you turn it on.
Feb 24, 2017, 02:30 PM
low tech high tech
Well GPW, no point in just forgetting it -- it might all work. Can't you take the batts out of the TX and just charge them separately to test the whole rig? -- they should be just AA rechargables (NimH probably, like your Eneloops).

You could also just try the TX with any AA batts you have on hand.

Then just try it out with the official Spektrum RX, and then the orange RXs later.

The only thing different you'll find about 2.4 mhz is that you "Bind" a TX to an RX one time -- basically they learn to communicate with each other. After that they remember each other.

To bind, before powering up your RX, you put a "Bind Plug" into the RX -- it looks like a U shaped wire and servo plug. There is usually a marked position on the RX for that Bind plug.

Then you turn on the RX. You'll see it flashing rapidly, meaning it is ready to bind.

Then, holding a "bind" switch on the TX, you turn that on.

On the DX6i, the Bind switch is the "Trainer" switch. Don't know about the old DX6, but likely the same thing.

You hold that on while you power up the TX and you will see the receiver light change blinking rates until it comes on solid, and you will also likely hear the servos zip to center position (if they aren't there to start). That means the RX and TX are now bound, and you can let go of the "Trainer switch.

Remove the bind plug from the receiver, and it will now stay bound to the TX -- forever. You can then play with the sticks, etc.

Sounds complicated but it is simple to do once you try it.
Feb 24, 2017, 02:45 PM
Always Thinking Diffrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
But, the big plus is that you can put in your own voice that will tell you what a great pilot you are every time you turn it on.
Just for that feature I would buy one 😁
Feb 24, 2017, 04:06 PM
flyin' fool
A flying buddy's responds in the most sexy voice "you really turn me on" when he flicks the switch.
Feb 24, 2017, 04:09 PM
flyin' fool
Glen:

There's lot of vids on youtube on how to program and set up your DX6i. Don't give up. You can download the instructions from Horizon's site.
Feb 24, 2017, 06:50 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Guys I have the manual ... Thankfully he included that ... but I just don’t much care for the not so intuitive programming and little abbreviated screen at the top ... ( Old )
My consigliere MS , says I should sell it cheap and apply that to something new ... I sorta like that idea ...

I’ve got one dead NIMH Tx battery 9 tested ) and one perfectly good Li tx battery , and now the Eneloops ... so yes it does work ... it comes on at least ...

At my age , it would be good if the transmitter just says ... “ well, I see you’re still alive “ ... hahahahaha
Feb 24, 2017, 09:28 PM
low tech high tech
Then that's the way to go!
Feb 24, 2017, 10:08 PM
Always Thinking Diffrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw

At my age , it would be good if the transmitter just says ... “ well, I see you’re still alive “ ... hahahahaha
LOL! or wow your still around??!!
Feb 24, 2017, 11:52 PM
Use whatcha got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Guys I have the manual ... Thankfully he included that ... but I just don’t much care for the not so intuitive programming and little abbreviated screen at the top ... ( Old )
My consigliere MS , says I should sell it cheap and apply that to something new ... I sorta like that idea ...

I’ve got one dead NIMH Tx battery 9 tested ) and one perfectly good Li tx battery , and now the Eneloops ... so yes it does work ... it comes on at least ...

The way I see it, you REALLY want that Taranis... You've gotten your moneys worth out of the Ace. And then some again...

I say if you're going to move to a new radio, make sure its really NEW.

Don't learn one that is already 10+ years old. Instead, get one that's going to last you another 20+ years
Feb 25, 2017, 06:32 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The real questionis ... will I last another 20 years ?? hahahaha

Yes , it really is time for a new radio ...

Sorry to get a little OT...
Feb 25, 2017, 09:51 PM
Use whatcha got!
We live off topic Glen...

It's all part of the recipe as far as I can tell.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Feb 26, 2017, 02:17 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Anyway , we got the saucer finished ... All up weight is 8.5 oz. without the battery ... so it should be a real floater ...

Quick Reply