Feb 21, 2017, 11:20 PM
flyin' fool
I'm a retired too, but have a job now................... a professional procrastinator.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2017, 07:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Since my wife's back surgery , my new occupation is home nurse ... I think my arse is getting bigger ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 22, 2017, 10:09 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
One of the side jobs we have to do is make up a new transmitter battery pack for the Spectrum 6 radio we got from our friend ( ex ) Transmitter battery was NIMH and dead ... tried to revive it , but it didn’t take ... So we got some Eneloop NIMH ( my new favorite ) and will solder them together as needed ... more time spent on non-saucer agendas ...grrrr!!!
Feb 23, 2017, 11:26 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Got that out of the way ... It Works !!! Now all I have to do is learn how to program it ... assuming it does have ( or will have ) a Saucer channel ...
Feb 23, 2017, 01:53 PM
low tech high tech
GPW, great that you're bringing back the flying saucers!

I don't know about the DX6's but the old DX6i's had a bug in the wing tail mix (there is a workaround). Be sure to check that when you mix aileron to elevator you get equal up an down throws in all combinations of elevator and aileron, and equal from side to side. On the old DX6i it shows up as asymmetrical responses, particularly with trim, and with differential.

Some people opined that this weirdness was the same thing as aileron differential throw (normally a good thing) but it isn't, and it doesn't behave the same way. I lost a couple planes because of it before I learned of the workaround.

Again, the DX6 may not have the problem at all, and not all DX6i's seem to either. Just check it out before you fly.

Looking forward to seeing yours fly! And the new artistic shape looks great, and very period!
Feb 23, 2017, 02:06 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
VT , thanks for the heads up on that .... I had no idea ...
Feb 23, 2017, 04:56 PM
flyin' fool
I've got a DX6, and although weird programming and crummy instruction, once you figure it out the elevon mix has no surprises.

I have FBs with the DX6i and they uses some kind of P-Mix with elevons. There should be lots of info from a google and check youtube too.
Feb 23, 2017, 04:59 PM
flyin' fool
It should be mandatory for all radio manufacturers to first read the HiTec manual to see how they should word theirs.
Feb 23, 2017, 05:24 PM
Use whatcha got!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
It should be mandatory for all radio manufacturers to first read the HiTec manual to see how they should word theirs.
I really want the newer 9ch Hitec, but my Optic hasn't failed me yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Feb 23, 2017, 06:27 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Guys , I traded a chopper bicycle I made for it and some receivers ... ( one Spektrum and a few little orange ones ) I felt it would be needed because my Ace Micropro was made in 1991 ... ( a bit old but still working ... just like me )

As a last resort , I’ll try reading the instruction manual ...
Feb 23, 2017, 06:29 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
I’m thinking I may have gotten “screwed" ...
Feb 23, 2017, 07:19 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Looks like we've reached a roadblock to any flying /testing this week ( grrrr!!!!) .... It's a local phenomenon called "Mardi Gras" The streets are clogged with revelers .... till Wednesday ... Which will hopefully give us time to finish the saucer and get it ready ... ( with that new radio too)
Feb 23, 2017, 08:03 PM
low tech high tech
GPW, from what I've read now, it was definitely confined to the earlier DX6i, so don't worry.
Feb 24, 2017, 07:41 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
VT, Thanks .... I was getting worried ...
We'll try and get the gear mounted today ... I'm torn between using wire in the tube for control rods .... or make a pull pull system ... ???
Feb 24, 2017, 09:51 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Hmmm??? ... seems this “new” DX6 radio I have is from 2006 .. Oh well, its only half as old as my Micropro ...

Quick Reply