Feb 18, 2017, 01:46 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Added the Blenderm tape hinges , and with the help of a couple of bricks to keep everything in alignment , we got it/them all hot-glued together... Now we can make up the chopstick motor mount , mount the gear and Bob’s your Alien Uncle ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2017, 03:37 PM
Use whatcha got!
Looking good...

I'm trying to decide on small whiny prop, or big and slow torquey setup...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Feb 18, 2017, 07:57 PM
When pigs fly rc
That was fast
Feb 19, 2017, 04:43 AM
flyin' fool
Some people are just out of this world when it comes to ideas.
Feb 19, 2017, 06:53 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Well then , this one isn’t really anything new , just a compilation of the best parts of all those others ( thanks to those who have gone before !!! ) ... I just can’t seem to get these disk planes out of mind , they just work/fly so well , and pack a lot of area into a small space making for some nice slow -ish flight characteristics ... which BTW , the 28” disk is actually pretty Large ... But not too big , like the 36” disks were ... Here’s a comparison to the 22” Potato Chip ... and the 36” USAF UFO to the smaller 22” one ...

The larger just “feels” like it’s “catching" a lot of air ...waving the bare airframe around in the Hanger ... We’re just anticipating a slower floaty speeds range and a more slippery glide
Last edited by gpw; Feb 19, 2017 at 07:14 AM.
Feb 19, 2017, 02:02 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
We just weighed the bare airframe , turns out amazingly light for it’s size ..... 4.4 oz. ( no wonder it feels light) If I can keep the all up weight under 10 oz. I could have a wing loading as low as 2.35 oz.sq.ft. That will be Interesting !!!
Next project is making the chopstick motor mount which is Cheap ( with sushi ) and reinforces the whole nose with almost no weight ... In the interest of saving weight we’re going to omit the landing gear which wouldn’t work on our grass field anyway ...
Feb 19, 2017, 02:24 PM
flyin' fool
I'd tried square, rectangle, delta, hexagon, round and combinations of all with LARs, and for some reason which I still don't understand, round is the best.

Something about how the air moves around the edges or some such thing.
Feb 19, 2017, 02:32 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
EXACTLY .... we had the same observations ... with no sharp edges , there’s no vortices to form ... Low aspect ratio means it won’t need exotic carbon fiber spars to reinforce it ...and there’s that stall business which is so gentle ...compared to brother Delta which stalls Straight Down ...and higher aspect ratio wings that traditionally “drop a wing” and spin ... Round is so Nice and gentle , even without any dihedral , and even with anhedral (SGTalon’s Cylon Raider ) , but with full throws you can see how quickly it responds ...
Feb 19, 2017, 03:39 PM
flyin' fool
You have to be a pretty rounded person to understand all that input.
Feb 21, 2017, 06:49 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Gold , I'm with You ... Round is the best !!!
We'll be installing the gear today ... (simple) So we'll be back with pictures later ...
Feb 21, 2017, 10:31 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
First we had to make some control horns , my favorite is 1/32” plywood cut out with scissors .... ( EASY ) Then the holes are drilled with a drill made of the exact same wire we’ll be using for pushrods , so it’s an exact , no slop fit ...
Then we glued up the Chopstick motor mount , 2 sticks glued back to back with popsicle sticks to fatten them up for the small finned aluminum motor mounts we like ... our favorite motor mount since it reinforces the whole Nose ...
Feb 21, 2017, 04:37 PM
When pigs fly rc
I have to get some chopsticks I like that mount. Nice and cheap
Feb 21, 2017, 08:03 PM
Always Thinking Diffrent
Great Thread and going thru it , all i hear is blah blah blah..... Where's the video??!!
Feb 21, 2017, 08:12 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
We have to actually finish building the saucers ( I’m making one for MS too ) , before we can fly it and make the video ... It’s just the way these things work out ... and it gives you time to build one too ... It’s not uncommon to be beaten to the maiden by someone else finishing before me ... and although Retired , I do have a lot on my plate all the time so have to time share Foamies with other interests ...

Rich , cheap and reinforces the whole nose ... Here it is hot glued on , and the control horns too ...
Feb 21, 2017, 09:19 PM
Always Thinking Diffrent
OK so i jumped the gun.... I know the feeling, retired and no time for much. The saucer looks good, now git r done!

Quick Reply