Feb 15, 2017, 12:58 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Discussion

FUN UFO Flying Saucer...

After all this time the one plane we really wanted to replicate is another Flying Saucer ... These were Great Fun and flew remarkably well, even without “cheater” fins , or a rudder ... The secret was the forward sweept hinge line , and keeping most of the vertical fuselage area aft of the CG (25%) ... From UFO’s we've built in the past , each was a learning experience that we've combined in the new plans for an ultra simple , good looking Flying Saucer that has all the performance we want ... The 28” dia. size was chosen to accommodate the 24” wide FFF ( foam sheet ) , and gives enough area ( 615 sq. in.) to fly in a smooth predictable UFO -like manner ...
We’re going to put an old 15KV Blue wonder motor on ours ...
Here’s some pics of earlier saucers ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 12:59 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The new plans ... Pretty much self explanatory .. juat keep it simple and it will fly Super ... and for those that prefer , the addition of a KF strip (airfoil) will work just fine ... Looks like we’ll be building a couple of these , so we’ll take some pics along the way ...
Last edited by gpw; Feb 15, 2017 at 01:07 PM.
Feb 16, 2017, 11:11 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
First thing to do is make up a good template of the parts ... both of them ... and remember we only need to make half a wing template , saving our heavy poster paper ...
And that was easy ...

OK, so I exaggerated and gave an “alternative" parts count ...turns out there are four if we separate everything ...
Feb 16, 2017, 11:21 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And with an artistic eye we cut down the fuselage bottom just because it looked better ... JMHO We’ll reflect the changes in the plan dimensions .
Last edited by gpw; Feb 16, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Feb 16, 2017, 11:33 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Here’s the new plans with the changes ... The old plan is valid , I just think V2 looks better , and likely better in the air too ...
Feb 17, 2017, 07:35 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
MS brought over some EPP ( a LOT of EPP ) .. thing is , it’s 4mm and 6 mm and rather “floppy" ... We were thinking of ways to stiffen it , like doubling the thickness.. or maybe putting something flat in the middle to act as a spar/stiffener.... maybe packing tape on the outside ? You guys have any ideas ???
Thinking for now we'll stick to the standard Blucor for this prototype .....only "because we have it” ... This one should be pretty maneuverable ...
Feb 17, 2017, 07:51 AM
When pigs fly rc
I like it .
May try soon
Feb 17, 2017, 08:03 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Rich , I think this is the one ... not as small as the 22”-24” , and not as bulky as the 36” ... Odd how 36” WS on a conventional plane would be around a medium parkflyer size .... on a disk plane it’s ENORMOUS !!! 28” seems like the happy medium ( “ Just Right !!!“ )
We’ll be making Two (2) today , so we’re getting everything ready , puttng on the coffee and warming up the hot glue gun ...
Feb 17, 2017, 02:17 PM
When pigs fly rc
Great
I will order some foam soon and try it myself
Can't wait for more pictures and a video.
Have fun
Round is where it's at!
Feb 18, 2017, 07:57 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Apologies , we got so wrapped up in batteries yesterday , never got around to the saucers ... But we have everything ready , and will start these as soon as we have more coffee ...

We added a bit at the bottom to give another “look” ... All for FUN !!!
Last edited by gpw; Feb 18, 2017 at 08:03 AM.
Feb 18, 2017, 10:34 AM
Use whatcha got!
Flight time curtailed for the weekend unfortunately... Nephew birthday parties today and tomorrow...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Feb 18, 2017, 10:52 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And naturally the weather is PERFECT ...

We continue with saucer work , parts laid out for cutting ...
Feb 18, 2017, 11:59 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Parts all cut out and slotted for a good fit , wiped down with 91% rubbing alcohol to remove the printing amd residual ink ... and edges sealed with the hot tip of a hot glue gun( no glue) to seal the skin to the foam around the edges so it won’t peel off later on ...
Feb 18, 2017, 12:01 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Now all we have to do is make another one ....
Feb 18, 2017, 12:45 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
... and then there were two ... Curious how the second one always goes much faster ... ?

Quick Reply