East Coast ALES Festival, April 1-2, 2017, Farmville, NC - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 22, 2017, 12:34 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
I assume that skegs and varios are allowed for ALES, not for the F5J lite mini contest on Friday.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2017, 01:15 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Good point, Martin.
For F5J we do not want to use skegs and varios.
Feb 24, 2017, 06:31 PM
I would like to attend . I saw something about a new field . Did you guys move from last year ?
Hope all is well
Marcel
Feb 24, 2017, 07:59 PM
Service Engine Soon
Yes we moved, look back at post one for info. Also if you can make it on Friday it would be a good time to test trim your plane. There are several extra cams, ALTIS in the club if you need one.
Feb 24, 2017, 09:02 PM
Oleg Golovidov
We are at 15 pilots which is not bad at all, but certainly would love to get more pilots!
Marcel, please sign up!

Register here: ECALESF-2017 registration form

Pilot roster: ECALESF-2017 pilots
Feb 25, 2017, 03:14 PM
Service Engine Soon
Little more field work today. Dick, Garry and myself started early about 9am, Garry help me get the tractor from down the road and followed me to the field where Dick had an area marked out for grass seed. Garry and Dick spent the next few hrs spreading 50 lbs of seed. They found out the hand held broadcaster worked the best other than your right arm feels like it will fall off after a couple hrs. While they where occupied with that. I worked on grading the center area and repairing more of the big ruts left behind by the skid loader. I was surprised how fast the east side had filled in with crazy grass from a week ago. As warm as it has been and a little rain tonight this real grass won't take long.
I spent the last hr running over the west side knocking down the high spots and most of the prickly. I didn't do as good job but if you land over there at least it should be ok. This area is just a bonus area anyways. I will go back over it later with the mower maybe before the contest. If you ever wondered how a farmer feels on his tractor. I can say the first six hrs is fun. After that ,not so much.
Bonded with the field enough for now, hopefully we can fly there next week end.
Feb 26, 2017, 08:34 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thank you all who signed up!
We now have Paul Parret from Louisiana, our previous winner, on the list!
We also have Charles Thomas and his son on the list!
And our (almost) local hand launch pilot Ian Baillie!
We are at 20 pilots already!
I am very glad to see the support from you guys.
I hope there are more pilots that are thinking about registering.

Register here: ECALESF-2017 registration form

Pilot roster: ECALESF-2017 pilots
Feb 26, 2017, 08:36 PM
IHeartDLG
I have tentatively registered. I am hoping to make it down for this, and to camp at the field. However, I will be out of town the weekend before for Nathans contest, and it is difficult to be gone on consecutive weekends. That being said, it is on my calendar, and I am planning on being there. I will update as soon as that changes, and hopefully it will not.

Also, we have an order of bees coming sometime in the first week of April, and if that lands on the first, I have to be here to deal with them.
Feb 27, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thinking about bringing my 28ft travel trailer up from Florida. Towing with three-quarter ton diesel four wheel drive pickup; will I be okay on the field for dry camping with part time generator? Trying to gather some more Florida talent to come with me. Lovin' me some fly'n at a new field! I will go ahead and register before it fills up!
John K.
Feb 27, 2017, 04:04 PM
Oleg Golovidov
John, thanks for signing up!!!
I do not see why you could not bring your trailer to the field.
Brady will tell you better about this.
Please recruit more FL pilots!
Feb 27, 2017, 05:43 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxaneandjohn
Thinking about bringing my 28ft travel trailer up from Florida. Towing with three-quarter ton diesel four wheel drive pickup; will I be okay on the field for dry camping with part time generator? Trying to gather some more Florida talent to come with me. Lovin' me some fly'n at a new field! I will go ahead and register before it fills up!
John K.
John
The field is solid to drive on anywhere and camp almost anywhere (as long as its dry) absolutely no problem. Now a little rain say 1/2" the night before still likely not a problem in most areas.
If its a down pour then I strongly recommend only one area near the road and ditch on the east side. There is very good drainage there and its packed down petty good. There is room for a few large travel Trailers in that area. You may have to pull in then back up but only if its very wet .

In the center slightly right of the drive way there was some huge ruts made by a skid loader. They where about 3 ' to 4' wide and 1' to 2' deep . For the most part I have filled this area in all the way to the other side but you can bet it hasn't had time to pack down very good. Again no problem dry but wet likely a big problem.

I haven't had the chance to test the field when its raining so I can't 100% say of the conditions when wet. 4WD and park up front Thinking you will be good even wet. I also think the west side near the Road will be good even wet but I haven spent much time in that area. I plan to camp also. I just have a little pop up camper no idea where I want to put it at yet. Thinking if its not raining almost directly across from the entrance.

I Can't tell you what to do. We can be there to help Friday morning or Thursday evening . I was thinking about marking the problem areas with some flags just in case next time at the field.
Let's just hope for no, to little rain.
Feb 28, 2017, 07:21 PM
Hmmm, Nathan's or Oleg's contest, what to do, what to do.....

Too bad I can't do both!!

Dave R.
Feb 28, 2017, 07:45 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Dave, you can do it! Look at Ian.
(I am going to be in trouble though myself for the same reason...)
Feb 28, 2017, 07:58 PM
Professional sink locator
Fairly easy decision...

A new AWESOME field for DESS

No disrespect to Nathan.
Feb 28, 2017, 08:16 PM