East Coast ALES Festival, April 1-2, 2017, Farmville, NC - Page 11 - RC Groups
Apr 05, 2017, 08:56 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Oleg,
I'd be curious how you guys handled the 10 minute window with such a small crowd?

My thoughts on getting the ALES folks to dip their toes into F5J is the complexity of the task window. Without the window it's very easy to run, well exactly like ALES. However, with the window and a large field of pilots then a speaker system and perhaps a timer light board is needed. I think there was a time that the window was a requirement but now everyone launches at the buzzer or you'll never get in the leader board.
So my thought is that if each pilot had their own window which is their flight time and launched in a reasonable time after someone counts down the launch then it's identical and wouldn't require any speaker/timer board system. Fly over your flight time and you lose your landing points. I guess I'm struggling with the task window and what the strategy is for that nowadays. I recall flying F3J in England and when the buzzer would sound lots of folks just stood around waiting...that worked at the time as the weather was crummy and you could launch a minute or two later and still max the round. I don't think that's the case nowadays.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread.
Thanks
Curtis
Curtis, we used our usual sound system. Both for ALES and F5J. The same one we have used for years for F3K events.

For ALES, it calls the round, group number, pilot names, and gives a count down of 3 minutes prep time, then 10 second launch window. Then 10 minutes of silence. ALES does not need (and does not want) the window countdown since everybody launches at different times and the window countdown is really confusing.

For F5J the sound track is nearly identical to F3K window, except for 1 minute landing window instead of 30 seconds. This would be exactly the same for F3J.

My F3KScore program creates playlists for these events. And scores them too of course.

A timer display while is useful for F5J and F3K, is not essential. The sound announcements are quite sufficient. For a "proper" F5J event I will set up the big timer (Mickey Nowell's design and execution) to display the window time.

--
Last edited by olgol; Apr 05, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2017, 08:49 PM
Professional sink locator
What a great weekend for our first contest at our new field!

I want to thank Dick for running a great contest, to George for taking on handling the scoring on Sunday, and to everyone that helped me timing my flights, especially Paul, Frank, and David. You guys were great.

The highlight of my weekend was outscoring Oleg in round three on Sunday. For a Freshman Expert it was very satisfying to say the least. For the last few years I was a Sportsman.

Thank you to all of the fliers that traveled so far, some of you 14-16 hours to come and play with us.

As our field develops we plan on having more contests through out the year, please come and enjoy the East Carolina hospitality again.

Garry
Apr 06, 2017, 09:41 AM
A big thank you to all those who came to the ECALESF 2017 that made it such a great contest. I had my doubts mid week before the event as there had been several cancellations, the weather for the Fri F5J was going south in a hurry, and a lot of wind was predicted for Sat. And then I get an email from Oleg that he would not be coming on Sat and maybe not Sun. That was a pretty big kick in the gut. There was a lot of behind the scenes scrambling after that one. Oleg made a special trip to my house and delivered the sound system and matrix and I got a crash course in setting up the sound.

On Thur I arrived at the field to find Paul Parrett and Dave Beach already flying. I added a couple of flights to there's and left to do some chores. When I returned around 5pm Dave was still flying. I guess he was getting a long needed fix after looking at snow for weeks-months-on end. Local, Garry Ogilvie showed up to fly, also.

Fri was, as expected by now, was a washout which cancelled the F5J lite. The field was awash and looked questionable for use on Sat. Fortunately, Fri afternoon was pretty much sunny and dry helping the field recover. It did extract it's toll. Ask Tony and Kerry.

I decided to not fly on Sat so I could concentrate on scoring and making sure everything ran smoothly. Normally I do not watch the scores at all. It was very entertaining to watch the different scoring battles that took place all day as we flew 8 rounds. Brady and Dave were separated by 1 point for 2-3 rounds before Dave blinked and Brady sealed it the last time they flew against each other. The stunner performance for the day was Pete Schlizkus. We have not watched such a run of continued back luck for an entire day. The worst was when the prop came off resulting in a 6 second flight which got him a whopping 9 points for the round. In spite of the poor weather prediction for the day thermals were there and careful flying was rewarded with good scores. Even so, I think a 3:44 won one flight group, but normally it was closer to 10. In spite of being admonished for not flying, I was content with my decision not to fly. The day was a complete success.

Sunday was an entirely different day and with a reasonably dry field, scoring help, and a couple more contestants we flew 6 uneventful rounds. There have been contests where this CD was totally spent and almost too tired to break down the equipment. Not so on this one. In fact, 4 DESS members flew 4 rounds of F5J and then held a recap of how the event went and future plans for activity not getting off the field until after 5pm.

Again, thanks to all who made this event as good as it was.

Dick
Last edited by DProseus; Apr 06, 2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Apr 07, 2017, 02:35 PM
Hey Brady, Congrats on the new field. I had hoped to come over and watch, but lost track of the dates. I converted my old Drifter-II to electric and have flown it a few times. Balance issues and a broken leg have grounded me for a year. I feel like a newbie again. I'd like to come over and fly with you guys sometime. My email is robert.thornburg1140@gmail.com.
Apr 07, 2017, 06:23 PM
Service Engine Soon
It's Bob Thornburg ! Yes sure the field is yours to use. You just need current AMA ins. We will be happy to help get you back in the air, when ever you are ready.
Apr 08, 2017, 01:13 PM
Guys,

Thanks again for a great contest weekend. I've posted the scores to both the ESL and ALES League websites.

David
Apr 08, 2017, 01:39 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thanks, David!!!
Nov 20, 2017, 10:13 AM
Oleg Golovidov
We are planning to change our annual ALES event into F5J event in 2018.
The plan is to use the weekend of April 7-8, 2018 for the East Coast Spring F5J Festival.
Mark your calendars!
We will submit it to the USA F5J Tour and ESL Electric division calendars soon.
I will create a new thread and registration form for it also.
Nov 20, 2017, 03:34 PM
Great news, Oleg, looking forward to it!!

Dave R.
Nov 20, 2017, 09:21 PM
Its on my calendar!
Oleg knows how to run an event. I had a blast at the last F5J contest.
FYI
We have scheduled a USA F5J Tour event in Rhode Island the weekend of June 30- July 1.
F5J in Rhode Island at RISC
The contest will be held at the Rhode Island Sailplane Club. The flying areas are beautifully manicured turf farm fields with big horizons.
A thread with all information will be posted soon.
Maarten