Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Contest

East Coast ALES Festival, April 1-2, 2017, Farmville, NC

Down East Soaring Society is pleased to announce the
6-th annual East Coast ALES Festival!
  • F5J-Lite mini-event on Friday afternoon (TBD), March 31, 2017
  • Fun fly, open field flying on Friday, March 31, 2017
  • ALES league tasks with possible modifications on Saturday and Sunday, April 1-2, 2017
  • Saturday and Sunday will be scored as two separate events
  • Expert and Sportsman classes, awards to 1,2,3 places in each class both days, plus Overall Champion trophy
  • Entry fee $25 one day, $50 both days
  • Lunch $5 on Saturday and Sunday
  • Pilots meeting 8:30am Saturday, flying starts 9:00am Saturday, 8:00am Sunday
  • Last round starts no later than 2:00pm on Sunday

Contest director - Dick Proseus.

Google map of the NEW club field: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//35..../data=!3m1!1e3
Click the map below to get directions to the field from your place!

We will be posting more information as it becomes available.
Watch this thread for more announcements!

Register here: ECALESF-2017 registration form

Pilot roster: ECALESF-2017 pilots

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Jeff Carr
This is the same weekend my brother has his retirement ceremony in Texas. After 25 years I won't miss seeing my younger brother retire from the Army

Sorry I would be there if it wasn't for this

Jeff
Old Feb 15, 2017, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Jeff, we understand. Would be great to have you at the event, but family comes first!
Next year. Or maybe at the future F5J event that we need to schedule this season.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by rc4fun

ESL - not??

Oleg, This is on the ESL calendar and the ESL sanction is OK . Why not use the ESL signup?
The CD can enter anyone that would rather not sign up for ESL. Just wondering.
I'm certainly glad you're situation turned out good.
Kerry
Old Feb 15, 2017, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Professional sink locator
Just to let everyone know that CAMPING IS ALLOWED at our new field.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun View Post
Oleg, This is on the ESL calendar and the ESL sanction is OK . Why not use the ESL signup?
The CD can enter anyone that would rather not sign up for ESL. Just wondering.
I'm certainly glad you're situation turned out good.
Kerry
Kerry, mostly tradition, and convenience for me.
I can control what information is entered on the registration form.
For example, Friday F5J sign-up would be not possible on ESL site.

Thanks for the registrations.
Seems that all pilots (so far) are interested in Friday F5J-Lite mini-event. Cool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2017, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by Brady Baggs
Service Engine Soon
You guys are going to like the new field. I hope to start knocking down the stubble's and the high spots this Sunday.

Just a little about camping.
Tents not a problem and pull behind camper should be fine but big RV not sure probably a bad idea.

This is a farm field there is no gravel for a parking area. It's had a year to pack down as wheat grass was planted last year. So if its dry not a problem and very solid drive anywhere. BUT if its wet like lots of rain the day before or even during the contest it is likely this will turn into a mud fest. There is room for one or two campers if it is raining near the entrance where its more packed down maybe some lite gravel . If its not raining then we have the hole half of the field to use, I don't know how much Towing our little Tractor can do if something is really stuck. Thinking my AWD suv will pull better and I have a bunch of chains. But it would be best not to go there if its raining.
I am really unsure and have not had the chance to test the ground when its wet as I have only spent half hr out there. The soil is not that dark rich stuff its more sandy use up and very hard packed so maybe I am just worried about nothing.
I will know something more after Sunday but for now thinking lots of rain could be a big problem.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by fwroberts
Rick Roberts
Just a thought. Could you list the F5J as a separate contest on the ESL site so you could track registration. I'm only suggesting this because I like the "one stop shopping" that the ESL site affords.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
Kerry, mostly tradition, and convenience for me.
I can control what information is entered on the registration form.
For example, Friday F5J sign-up would be not possible on ESL site.

Thanks for the registrations.
Seems that all pilots (so far) are interested in Friday F5J-Lite mini-event. Cool.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:01 PM
MMR
Find More Posts by MMR
MMR
Martian
Thanks for signing up!

14 pilots so far - it will be a great first contest at the new field.

Martin
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by soarkraut17
Getting my planes ready to go.....got some questions.
Are we doing skegs?? Vario??
Pete
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Service Engine Soon
Field report. Martin, George and I spent about six hrs getting the field ready today.. It rained 1/2" Wednesday night so there was some standing water in the ditches. Only two small places that are low on the field that where wet. The field has nice drainage all the way around and a crown to most of the center. For sure no problem with double axle pull behind campers. Out front buy the road is slightly soft. Most if not all the field not a problem. To the west I didn't have time to go over there and some big ruts from a skid loader removing trees. I was able to repair some of it. Most of the time was spent running the tractor across twice the main part of the field on the east side. And Martin dragging some chain link fence with my suv twice maybe three times.
Martin and I talked more about how we liked this field. If I where to rate our (old) field I would say a 5 out of 10. I would give this field an 8. Something like TTA or Muncie of course a 10.
There where 4 cars that pasted by. One was for sure a local farmer in his truck slowing down to take a look at us. Bet he said to him self." If you live long enough you will see everything."
I very nice fellow stopped by introduced him self as Dave. Garry's friend and waited for us to load the tractor to take to his place so we can keep it there just down the road.

Anyways I bonded with the field today and it was good.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarkraut17 View Post
Getting my planes ready to go.....got some questions.
Are we doing skegs?? Vario??
Pete
Dick and Oleg are in FL up to them.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
MMR
Find More Posts by MMR
MMR
Martian
The field should be in good shape for the contest.

Spending time at the field today we saw a pair of hawks and plenty of buzzards catching thermals.

Martin