Mar 27, 2017, 04:58 AM
OSRC
Stick Mover is not a new idea. It was a feature in OSRC almost 10 years ago. Funny how noone mentions it as the StickMover developers claim to have "Invented" it.

OSRC Link: https://www.facebook.com/Open-Source...3683419001068/

Seems Creative Commons doesn't apply to anyone on KickStarter.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2017, 05:12 AM
Stick Mover is indeed not (just) a new idea. It is an actual thing, which is a few thousand times more useful, and difficult to achieve. Ideas are two-a-penny - implementation is what counts.
Mar 27, 2017, 05:17 AM
OSRC
OSRC was a real thing. Plenty of videos of the prototype in action and plenty of info about it. Google OSRC, i am sure you shall find lots of info related to it.
Feb 16, 2019, 01:49 AM

Liftoff update 1.1.0 has Stick Mover support

Quote:
StickMover

The StickMover is a training device that helps you learn new tricks, and it's now integrated with Liftoff! The StickMover looks like a normal remote control, but instead of controlling a quad, the StickMover guides you step by step through a trick or move. As you track the flight on the screen, your fingers are actively moving in the right direction. By watching and feeling you learn intuitively. The StickMover will activate when you spectate another player in Multiplayer or watch replays in the Pro League tournaments.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/410...46104717821646
Jul 06, 2019, 04:39 PM

StickMover 1st impressions

I recently bought Stickmover and after installing the AVIrem software opened it up.
First I had to plug the USB cable and the power supply into the Stickmover.
Then I had to register, user name and password.
Then the StickMover software went to a "calibration screen". No matter what I did I could not proceed with the calibration.
I had to exit the software and restart the system.
Then I couldn't log back in and requests to reset the password did not send me an email.
Eventually, I figured out the user name is case sensitive and I got it going and was able to calibrate the unit.
I went to the shopping cart and added some maneuvers, but the IMAC stuff wasn't there. That's the reason I bought it!
Took me a while to figure out how to enter my voucher # for the 20 skills I bought. I still haven't figured out what I do to claim the
10 skills that come with the basic package.
Finally, I was able to try it. It's awkward at first. Some of the stick inputs are slight and if you focus on the rudder and throttle you
may tune out in your head the elevator and ailerons. But by repeating the sequence over and over eventually you become aware of both sticks.
Then on to Realflight, I was able to repeat the maneuver (simple slow roll with elevator and rudder inputs) in a lot of slow rolls both left and right.
I learned that I tend to over control and the Stickmover helped. I'll try some more advanced stuff later.
Couldn't resist, so I popped the back cover off and there is a circuit board and 4 HiTec HS-322HD servos connected to the gimbals and circuit board.
$12 servos, but they do the job. IMHO it would be nice to have an interface to allow you to "buddy box" the Stickmover so a student could get an idea
of how to input controls. That would also require a LiPo or LiFe to power it.
You can slow the skills down, but I would also like to be able to exaggerate the stick movements initially.
I want my IMAC skills!!
Photos:
Last edited by Stand; Jul 06, 2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Jul 06, 2019, 05:36 PM

Not just servos on/off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rowl
Are you considering releasing an API for this - e.g. so simulator devs can support it?

Actually there would be two types of use:

1. Simply using the StickMover as a controller - e.g. so people could use your AVIskills and then immediately try out the manoeuvres in their own favourite sim with the same controller.

2. Allowing simulators to drive it - perhaps through recorded flights, or simulator supported AI/computer control of the aircraft.

I realize the former would require the hardware to operate in two modes - with servos connected and disconnected. Nevertheless I would have thought it would massively extend the usefulness of the system (and address some of the points mentioned earlier in the thread).
The internal configuration of the Stickmover would require disconnecting the servos physically from the gimbals AND adding potentiometers to send back the stick positions. They would also need to add springs to the gimbals. Current gimbals would need replacing. Not to mention a replacement circuit board. Major modification of the current controller. About all that's left are the box and 4 cheap HiTec HS-322 HD servos! The external 6V power supply is an issue as well.
Last edited by Stand; Jul 06, 2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added info
Jul 28, 2019, 10:06 AM
I have a Stickmover. Here's my experience; it does help to learn a maneuver, but it takes many repetitions and full concentration, in other words, hard work. I have to repeat and concentrate on different aspects and individual stick motion. Some of the stick movements are very minor. That's one of the things I learned early on, I am over-controlling things. Some of the purchased lessons have added things that you need to ignore, like the harrier that takes off and does some kind of snap turn around before the actual harrier. In short, it seems to work for me, but it's not like you learn a trick after a couple of repeats. It takes study.
Jul 29, 2019, 01:23 AM

I already did this many years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand
I recently bought Stickmover and after installing the AVIrem software opened it up.
First I had to plug the USB cable and the power supply into the Stickmover.
Then I had to register, user name and password.
Then the StickMover software went to a "calibration screen". No matter what I did I could not proceed with the calibration.
I had to exit the software and restart the system.
Then I couldn't log back in and requests to reset the password did not send me an email.
Eventually, I figured out the user name is case sensitive and I got it going and was able to calibrate the unit.
I went to the shopping cart and added some maneuvers, but the IMAC stuff wasn't there. That's the reason I bought it!
Took me a while to figure out how to enter my voucher # for the 20 skills I bought. I still haven't figured out what I do to claim the
10 skills that come with the basic package.
Finally, I was able to try it. It's awkward at first. Some of the stick inputs are slight and if you focus on the rudder and throttle you
may tune out in your head the elevator and ailerons. But by repeating the sequence over and over eventually you become aware of both sticks.
Then on to Realflight, I was able to repeat the maneuver (simple slow roll with elevator and rudder inputs) in a lot of slow rolls both left and right.
I learned that I tend to over control and the Stickmover helped. I'll try some more advanced stuff later.
Couldn't resist, so I popped the back cover off and there is a circuit board and 4 HiTec HS-322HD servos connected to the gimbals and circuit board.
$12 servos, but they do the job. IMHO it would be nice to have an interface to allow you to "buddy box" the Stickmover so a student could get an idea
of how to input controls. That would also require a LiPo or LiFe to power it.
You can slow the skills down, but I would also like to be able to exaggerate the stick movements initially.
I want my IMAC skills!!
Photos:

FWIW. I created a feedback buddy box 13 years ago and used it to show flight control inputs on video while flying my paraplane model designs.
As the videos shows it worked well. The sticks were enlarged so they would show up better in the flight video.
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/8.../4-4-07-82.wmv
I also designed and built what I call a 3D trainer but that is for another thread.
Jul 30, 2019, 12:37 PM
Anybody get this expensive Stickmover working with Aerofly RC8? There's no way to calibrate it and as a consequence, in RC8 on mine, the throttle is on the Stickmover right stick and reversed. My RC8 controller is mode 2.

EDIT fixed:
You have to check view/transmitter to get it to work correctly.
Last edited by Stand; Aug 01, 2019 at 10:40 AM.
Jul 30, 2019, 01:58 PM
Call Graupner
Jul 30, 2019, 02:39 PM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoman31
Stick Mover is not a new idea. It was a feature in OSRC almost 10 years ago. Funny how noone mentions it as the StickMover developers claim to have "Invented" it.

OSRC Link: https://www.facebook.com/Open-Source...3683419001068/

Seems Creative Commons doesn't apply to anyone on KickStarter.
...and 30 years ago someone stuck servos and a receiver in a gutted Tx to feel the stick movements while standing next to the actual pilot. was an article in either MAN or RCM
Aug 01, 2019, 10:37 AM
Some more on Stickmover (SM). If you look inside the there is a simple board that is a serial servo controller for 4 channels. You can get a 6 channel controller for $19! So you have some inexpensive gimbals controlled by four $12 servos and a , at most, $19 circuit board. Now for the adjustable control sticks, they are plastic and can be moved up/down by loosing a set screw. Not the ones shown in all the videos.
Additionally you must buy "maneuvers" if you want more than the initial 10. When I ordered mine I did so because they had advertised IMAC sequences. Turns out they removed those.
I also purchased Aerofly RC8 and could not get the SM to assign the sticks correctly; i.e., the SM throttle was on the right stick and reversed. Finally after about 10 emails I was told to go to View --> Transmitter and immediately the SM controls moved to the correct positions and followed the RC8 controller correctly.
Next I made a recording and played it back, you guessed it, the recording does not interface with the SM. SO you can't make a recording and share it with others as a learning aid.
Not ready for prime time and I definitely regret spending $350!

Quick Reply