Feb 14, 2017, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Ace Foam Wing

I'd like to make a wood wing kit to replace the old Ace foam wings, but I need a sample to get started. Even just one side will work.

So, if you got one and are up for a balsa replacement, let me know!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2017, 12:01 PM
Gravity sucks.
Constant chord or tapered?
Feb 14, 2017, 12:03 PM
Gravity sucks.
I have a constant chord for sure, Ill look and see if I have a tapered. I know I put the templates on my Min-E Taurus if thats all you need.
Feb 14, 2017, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Both types of taper. Thanks!

Andy
Feb 14, 2017, 01:48 PM
Gravity sucks.
Both types of taper? They only had constant chord and tapered.
Feb 14, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Yes, exactly. Tapered vs. untapered. Two types of taper - one with 0% change and one with X% change.

Andy
Feb 14, 2017, 01:56 PM
Closed Account
Andy,

Are you going to do something completely different with the design? If not the Ace Mach None plans show the wood wing. I got it from Outerzone. I know I've seen a wood copy of the constant cord too but can't remember where or which plane it was for. Just lengthen the center section from the Mach None to whatever you need.
Feb 14, 2017, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for that, Joe! That should be what I need. I have some friends who want to build some of the old Ace models but the lack of wings slowed them down. This should fix it.

Andy
Feb 14, 2017, 02:01 PM
Gravity sucks.
Lol, ok, constant chord and tapered ,got it.
Feb 14, 2017, 02:17 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Thanks for that, Joe! That should be what I need. I have some friends who want to build some of the old Ace models but the lack of wings slowed them down. This should fix it.

Andy
There's a guy on ebay selling the foam wings now. Both tapered and constant chord. He now sells the Mach None wing set with the 4" center section after I pushed him to. Can't remember his name and ebay is blocked here at work but I'll look when I get home in about 3 hours. I haven't built the ones that I got from him yet but they look pretty good and the price was right.

I wish I could find an extra set of Sig Tri-Star foam wings. I want to keep my NIB kit NIB. It would be easy to scratch out a fuse if I had wings.

Joe
Feb 14, 2017, 02:25 PM
Closed Account
Andy,

He, he. I snuck in the back door to ebay. What I.T. doesn't know........

Mach None foam wing set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ace-Mach-Non...s/222286985883

Constant chord: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACE-Mini-Foa...d/311319003417

Joe
Feb 14, 2017, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Joe.

My son has a Tri-Star and it flies great. Landing on those long, spindly legs is fun to watch!

Andy
Feb 14, 2017, 02:38 PM
For the record, McClain cores are good stuff.
Feb 14, 2017, 02:51 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnymike
For the record, McClain cores are good stuff.
Yep, I'm happy with mine. Now I just need to get off my butt and build that Mach None I've wanted for years.....

Joe
Feb 14, 2017, 11:08 PM
Gravity sucks.
I have 3 sections of constant chord, no tapered.

Quick Reply