This thread is privately moderated by Rotozuk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2017, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Professional OpenTX Manuals are available!

We are very excited to announce our Open TX Manuals for the FrSky radios!

The manual has been in the works for a long time and should really help folks that are having issues wrapping their heads around the radio.

Proceeds from the manual go to the author (so he will be motivated to keep writing these manuals, and donations to the OpenTX team and Open TX University since they helped with the proofing.

Thanks to everyone that participated, this will really help a lot of folks!

Aloft Hobbies makes no profit from the sale of this printed manual.

More details here:

Taranis Plus:
http://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

Taranis Q X7:
http://alofthobbies.com/taranis-q-x7...er-manual.html

Last edited by Rotozuk; Jun 27, 2019 at 05:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2017, 09:08 AM
My best days are screw ups.
Out of stock, already! I would like to order one when available.
Feb 17, 2017, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
Yep, they did not last long. We did a quick run of 100 manuals to test the waters. Will order up more.

-Wayne
Feb 18, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
I just received a private from someone that was upset that we are selling this manual. They thought we should be giving it away. Trust me, we tried to do that in the past, it never worked out. I thought I would share my reply here so others have a better understanding also.

-----------------

Please allow me to explain how the manual came into existence.

We tried several times to bring a free manual into existence. We worked with individuals and teams of interested folks, I donated product to get things going, and every effort fizzled out. There were some successes with similar efforts: OpenTXU, and the FrSky Wiki.

I pressured FrSky to hire individuals that had written manuals in the past, that fizzled out.

Finally Lothar came along, he had written manuals for JR and showed me some samples. I really wanted to have a manual for everyone, so I put some thought on how I could avoid another fizzled out project. We came up with a plan, he would be paid a flat rate per manual. From that payment, he donates some to the OpenTX team to show his support of their awesome efforts. He does not have to do this, but he feels it is the right thing to do.

Before starting I checked with the OpenTX team to see if they knew of any other efforts to make a manual. At the time all efforts they knew of were dead. We didn't want to step on any toes.

So here is the price breakdown for the manuals. It is pretty easy: cost of printing + Lothar's fee = sell price. Aloft makes no money on these manuals.

Why pay Lothar per copy? This gives him a steady income and gives him incentive to keep the manual up to date. He has invested 11 months of his free time into this first manual. He is currently adding edits to the manual before we go to press for the next batch. OpenTX is constantly changing, and this manual will do the same. We hope to grow it and add more and more information and helpful bits to the manual.

Lothar has been a stand up guy through out this long process and he has been a pleasure to work with. It can be hard to accept edits from strangers, but he worked with the little team of reviewers and even added sections to the manual when he spotted the areas that new users were having issues. It has actually been a fun project thanks to him.

There was a need, and to me this was the best way to fill that need. I hope you all understand. This was an effort to help the community and I feel it was the right thing to do. Yes, it would be great if FrSky included better manuals for all of their products, but we have all gotten used to dealing with the lack of documentation in this hobby. I still pressure FrSky for better documentation for all of their products...

-Wayne
Aug 10, 2017, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Just a heads up - They manuals are now available for the Taranis Plus as the Taranis Q X-7 and they are both updated to OepnTX 2.2 and include even more info in them. Lothar is doing a great job of updating the manuals!!
Jun 11, 2018, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
Another update - The manual has also been made into an X10 version, and all have been constantly updated with new sections added and new changes as the OpenTX team continue to push OpenTX's capabilities. These are really outstanding manuals.

FrSky Taranis X7 Manuals:
https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-q-x...er-manual.html

FrSky Taranis X9D+ Manuals:
https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

FrSky Horus X10 Manuals:
https://alofthobbies.com/horus-x10x1...er-manual.html

Enjoy!
Jun 27, 2019, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
In case anyone is reading these.. The manuals are constantly updated adding more and more features. Currently ACCESS updates are under way.
Dec 03, 2019, 10:56 PM
Hey Wayne,
Just want to offer my two cents. Perhaps a PDF version at a lower price to eliminate the printing cost might appeal to those who don't want the printed and bound version. Also, the PDF version could be updated periodically with the latest and greatest at a lesser expense.
Dec 18, 2019, 03:58 PM
[intentionally blank]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsonic
Hey Wayne,
Just want to offer my two cents. Perhaps a PDF version at a lower price to eliminate the printing cost might appeal to those who don't want the printed and bound version. Also, the PDF version could be updated periodically with the latest and greatest at a lesser expense.
Not just the cost of printing but also the cost of shipping from CA to CT can get prohibitive! I love a printed manual more than I like an electronic one, so likely would take the PDF bought from Aloft to Staples for printing if the cost of the manual + printing is less than buying from Aloft and shipping it.

I think there is so much about my Qx7s that I have no idea about. It is so much more capable of a radio than I need for planes or quads!
Dec 18, 2019, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
We have investigated ways to offer a PDF for electronic format but we have not found any that are secure. I'm not a computer whiz kid and I have been able to easily defeat every form of protection I have run across.

Why is protection important?
Because Lothar spends a lot of time making these manuals and he needs to be rewarded for his work. This has worked well and allowed us to keep the manuals up to date.

I'm all ears if you know of a good option.

As for a quick update - The newest manuals are in printing right now, these are updated with ACCESS and all of the other changes for the newest OpenTX version.

Hope this helps.
Apr 13, 2021, 11:03 PM
Do you have or know where I can purchase an Open-Tx 2.2 manual?

Thanks
Apr 14, 2021, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
You will find the manuals here:
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/tx-ge...x-manuals.html

Current versions are V2.3, but they are nearly identical and will work fine for any version of OpenTX. The most recent versions add the new features and also have additional information that is helpful.

Quick Reply