Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

New from Eflite! Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic (EFL4850)

David Payne and the folks from Horizon Hobby have come out with another great flying plane that utilizes AS3X technology for an aerobatic experience with no stress!

Splash

The Commander mPd 1.4m park flyer is a collaboration between veteran aircraft designer, David Payne, and Mirco Pecorari.

I'm lucky to say I knew David Payne "back when." DP and I traveled the RC circuit before his days with Horizon. He was always a pilot's pilot and a builder's builder. He was raised around RC and flying. When I asked him for flying tips he said, "I'll tell you what my Dad told me. Push the sticks. If the plane isn't doing what you want push them a different direction!"

We are all lucky that David is now at Horizon designing some of the be aircraft in the RC world. His latest, the Commander is sport flying plane. I cut my teeth in the days of 3D but I have to admit that a great flying sport plane is not only a stress reliever but can also make a great FPV plane (hint, hint). Let's see what Eflite has to say about this new RC plane:

This new Commander mPd 1.4m priced at $229.99 blends classic lines with modern influences to give pilots a one-of-a-kind sport flying experience. It has features like a Hands-Free Servo Connection System that lets you plug in or remove the wings without having to fuss with servo leads. This BNF Basic version also gives you the extra stability of an AS3X receiver with optional SAFE Select flight envelope protection.

E-flite Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic & PNP (4 min 17 sec)

Design

David Payne and Mirco Pecorari wanted this to stand out from the crowd, yet still possess all the pilot-friendly flight characteristics that make traditional sport planes so much fun. They also added little extras like a pilot figure as well as molded-in details like ribs on the wing and elevator, panel lines, fuel caps and more.

Flight Envelope

A powerful brushless power system, light wing loading and factory-installed flaps give the model a wide flight envelope. Control response is smooth and predictable. Anyone moving up from a trainer will feel comfortable right away. More experienced pilots will find that aggressive aerobatics like rolling circles and knife-edge flight feel crisp and precise and can be performed with power to spare.

AS3X Receiver with Optional SAFE Select Technology

The model's AS3X (Artificial Stabilization - 3-aXis) receiver smooths out the effects of wind and turbulence. The result is a sense of stability and precision.

With SAFE Select technology activated, you get:

Pitch and Bank Angle Limits - These keep the aircraft from rolling or pitching upside down. They also prevent excessive climb or dive angles during takeoff and landing.

Automatic Self-Leveling - Instantly returns the wings to level when the sticks are released.

Key Features

• Spektrumô AS3X receiver with optional SAFE Select technology
  • Wide flight envelope for everything from slow flight to aerobatics
  • Factory-installed flaps for shorter takeoffs and landings
  • Innovative Hands-Free Servo Connection System
  • Goes together fast - only 8 screws required for initial assembly
  • Powerful 15-size brushless motor with 45A ESC
  • Vibrant trim scheme by Aircraft Design Studio
  • Durable aluminum landing gear with wheel pants

Photos

Learn More

Visit the website to learn more.

Old Feb 13, 2017, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by James Brand
I like the lines of this model it would make a nice balsa sport model 160 twin size!!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
Yes a larger balsa version would be nice. I have given up on those 15 size foam airplanes. A 50" wood would be on my list but please no more small foamies. The market is already flooded with small faomies.

Old Feb 15, 2017, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Bob J
Impressive
Now you've got to come up with a micro version that uses the 180 brushless motor; flaps not necessary.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:44 AM
MK
Find More Posts by MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
Impressive
Now you've got to come up with a micro version that uses the 180 brushless motor; flaps not necessary.
Oh, that would be so sweeeeeet!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by vonmarshall
This looks like a perfect second plane.

Having spent last Summer getting a lot of fun from my Eflite Apprentice, this could be the perfect stepping-stone to a warbird I think.

It looks really good and the fixed landing gear should hold up well for my rather dodgy landings on my local golf course!
Old Today, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Shack1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmarshall View Post
This looks like a perfect second plane.

Having spent last Summer getting a lot of fun from my Eflite Apprentice, this could be the perfect stepping-stone to a warbird I think.

It looks really good and the fixed landing gear should hold up well for my rather dodgy landings on my local golf course!
I would recommend the Valiant as a second plane.