How To: Add DVR to Eachine Goggles Two - RC Groups

How To: Add DVR to Eachine Goggles Two

In this How To Article we're going to show you how to install the Eachine ProDVR unit to the Eachine Goggles Two. This will allow you to easily record your FPV footage from drone racing events or anytime you want to record video from your FPV flights...

Eachine Goggles Two with DVR

How To

In this How To Article we're going to show you how to install the Eachine ProDVR unit to the Eachine Goggles Two. This will allow you to easily record your FPV footage from drone racing events or anytime you want to record video from your FPV flights. It's a simple process that will require some small wire soldering. The result takes the Eachine Goggles Two to the next level so let's get started.

What you Need:

Tools Required

• Soldering Iron
  • Contact Adhesive
  • Wire Cutters

Installation Process

The first thing you need to do is remove the top cover from the goggles. It is lightly tack glued in place, so carefully lift up on each side until the glue breaks loose. You should be able to completely remove the top portion along with the headstrap. Inside you'll find the magnification screen, the LCD panel and the receiver board. Pull the receiver board out as that is what we will be connecting the DVR unit to.

We will only be using 4 wires to connect the DVR. These are the 5V, Ground, Video In and Video Out wires as shown in the photo below. We will need to cut the video out wire on the receiver board to connect to the DVR. It is the second wire on the connector from the right hand side as shown in the photo.

With the video out lead from the receiver board cut, we can now solder the video In/Out leads from the DVR to them. The Video In wire from the DVR should be connected to the wire coming from the receiver board. The Video Out wire from the DVR should connect to the wire going to the LCD display. You can solder the power leads from the DVR to the 5V source on the receiver board as shown below. After soldering I used a little Bondic to secure the wires and provide strain relief on the connections.

Now all you need to do is put it all back together. You can run the wires through the vent holes if you like, but I decided to try and make it as clean as possible. I cut a hole in the front to string the wires through and connect to the DVR. You need to use some contact adhesive to secure the top of the goggles back in place. I used that same adhesive to secure the DVR to the front of the goggles. The whole process only takes about 10-15 minutes and now I have a working DVR on the Eachine Goggles Two.

Feb 13, 2017, 12:44 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
So do you have a normal output and a DVR output that you have to switch between, like my VR D2s? I know theres quite a bit of lag if trying to fly on the DVR output when recording...
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Feb 13, 2017, 01:10 PM
RCG Staff
I'll do some testing later on latency. If it's bad, I'll likely just y the video out connection and lose the OSD on the screen. That's ok as once you set the parameters you want you don't need to touch it again and you can use the light in the DVR to make sure it's recording.
Feb 13, 2017, 05:59 PM
RCG Staff
You called it. There is more latency with the DVR inline. Goggles on the left has the DVR, on the right no DVR. Looks like I'll be opening it back up Y harnessing the DVR instead of having inline.
Feb 13, 2017, 08:44 PM
How would you y-harness it?
Feb 13, 2017, 09:14 PM
RCG Staff
Solder on a wire to the video in on the DVR that also goes directly to the LCD panel. That way the feed doesn't go through the DVR before going to the screen, but it will still record the footage.
Feb 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I'll do some testing later on latency. If it's bad, I'll likely just y the video out connection and lose the OSD on the screen. That's ok as once you set the parameters you want you don't need to touch it again and you can use the light in the DVR to make sure it's recording.
Can't you add a switch like this to keep the OSD?
Feb 13, 2017, 10:17 PM
RCG Staff
Not sure, I don't really need the OSD after making my initial settings so I'm not going to worry about it too much.
Feb 14, 2017, 06:44 AM
Jason:
The Eachine ProDVR has had some reports of frame dropout that causes flicker and brief black screen on playback, possibly due to diversity switching from one receiver to the other, and issues of clipping of the video when PAL cameras are used for recording that prevents the bottom lines of OSD data from showing.

I'm also very curious if the Eachine ProDVR records anywhere near the resolution of this goggle screen, and what recording formats are available (AVI, MP4, other).

Have you checked these issues with your DIY solution? Please share your results with us.
Thanks.
VJ
Last edited by Virginia Jim; Feb 14, 2017 at 06:50 AM.
Feb 14, 2017, 07:17 AM

video pin

What about this video pin? Is it working?
Feb 14, 2017, 08:22 AM
RCG Staff
I haven't tried it. I asked the Engineers at the factory and the wire I used in the article is the one they said to use.
Feb 14, 2017, 08:24 AM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim
Jason:
The Eachine ProDVR has had some reports of frame dropout that causes flicker and brief black screen on playback, possibly due to diversity switching from one receiver to the other, and issues of clipping of the video when PAL cameras are used for recording that prevents the bottom lines of OSD data from showing.

I'm also very curious if the Eachine ProDVR records anywhere near the resolution of this goggle screen, and what recording formats are available (AVI, MP4, other).

Have you checked these issues with your DIY solution? Please share your results with us.
Thanks.
VJ
I haven't been out yet with these, but I will be taking the DVR out from inline before I do. I'm going to the CFL event next week in Florida and will be recording quite a bit to see how it all turns out.
Feb 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
Does the DVR record to a memory chip for use in other devices?
Can I output the video for external playback?
Feb 14, 2017, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALENM
Does the DVR record to a memory chip for use in other devices?
Can I output the video for external playback?
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ProD...mds=mywishlist
Feb 14, 2017, 10:46 AM
RCG Staff
Yeah it records to a micro SD card.