What radio should I buy - RC Groups
Feb 13, 2017, 10:07 AM
Discussion

What radio should I buy

I am new at the hobby and I bought a hobby king hk6s. I was looking to get an upgrade. Can someone please recommend something to get. I want it to be under $150
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2017, 10:50 AM
Dunno, what are you intending to use it with ? Cars, boats, planes, helis, multi-rotors, robots, something else ?

Steve
Feb 13, 2017, 12:55 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
You've got a number of excellent options. Of those, my suggestions are the following.

If you want easy programming and tons of aircraft/quads/heli's available with pre-installed receivers, get the Spektrum DX6e

if you want maximum capability, lots of quad and plane oriented receiver options, some receiver-installed quads and don't mind more complex (but more powerful) programming, get the FrSky Taranis QX7. The Taranis can also take transmitter modules to allow you to fly other protocols (like Spektrum, FlySky or Graupner HoTT)
Feb 14, 2017, 11:47 AM
Find a used Spektrum DX2 (6700). I see them for sale used for around $130.00. You will be amazed what you can do with that transmitter. If you buy the foam planes from Horizon the Spektrum is necessary for the receivers installed in them. When you register it you can find many model set ups for the Park Zone type planes and helicopters purchased from Horizon. You must make sure the person who is selling it deregisters the transmitter.
Feb 14, 2017, 12:11 PM
FrSky Taranis (plus or QX7) hands down.
Feb 14, 2017, 12:20 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
The 16 channel FrSky Taranis Q X7 fits your budget at $105 with money left over to buy an eight channel receiver with built in telemetry for $32.00.

Here is a link to some high resolution pictures Q X7 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...24&postcount=5

Mike
Feb 14, 2017, 01:47 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Just wanted to add that the QX7 is actually a 16ch transmitter (not 7), expandable to 32 channels with an external module.

The DX6 is a 6 channel radio with limited programmability. Most people who stay in the hobby out grow it within a few years and end up, all over again, looking for a better radio. That's not likely to happen with the QX7 running on OpenTx firmware.

The QX7 also has the external module bay that can accept other protocol modules, such as the Multiprotocol Module. With this one module you can fly most of the micro toy quads and planes, including the Spektrum stuff. The DX6 has no module bay and you can only fly Spektrum receivers with it.
Mar 09, 2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I've been building foam Rc airplanes and that is what I am going to be using it with
Mar 09, 2017, 05:39 PM
Also,my hk6s radio uses AA's for a battery. Do you think I could switch that over to a rechargeable lipo battery
Mar 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
I've used pretty much all the major brands of radios from DX6 to Jeti DC16. For me the FrSky stuff offers the best value and has more programing capabilities than any of them. The programing is not hard, in fact to me it is simpler than most out there for basic functions. Most manufactures have separate menus for functions like Servo End Point, Servo Direction, Servo Center. The OpenTx has all of that on one easy to use screen. This makes setting up a model super fast. Then it also has the power to do anything, ANYTHING you can think up which I love. I have the Horus for my planes and the QX7 for my quads. You will never outgrow a QX7 but may want the higher quality of the Taranis or the Horus.
Apr 20, 2017, 05:01 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions everyone but most of the radios that you are suggesting use AA batteries, is that a good way to go or should I get something else. I have a radio right now that takes eight AA batteries and it goes through them very fast. Does anybody have a better solution for rechargeable batteries.
Apr 20, 2017, 06:24 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericrobb
Thanks so much for your suggestions everyone but most of the radios that you are suggesting use AA batteries, is that a good way to go or should I get something else. I have a radio right now that takes eight AA batteries and it goes through them very fast. Does anybody have a better solution for rechargeable batteries.
The FrSky Taranis QX7 will run off rechargeable AA's (Eneloops or similar) or a 2s LiPO or LiFE pack. The Spektrum DX6e also supports Eneloops or an available LiPO pack.

Most inexpensive TX's support AA's as the primary battery solution as Alkaline AA's are among the best choices for occasional users.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:37 PM
Lots of good suggestions here except for Spectrum. Do some reading they are rather shady IMHO. I have a DXE and it works ok for now. Only reason I picked it up is I'm waiting for the new 4 & 1 mod for my 9xr pro
Apr 20, 2017, 09:20 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy
Lots of good suggestions here except for Spectrum. Do some reading they are rather shady IMHO. I have a DXE and it works ok for now. Only reason I picked it up is I'm waiting for the new 4 & 1 mod for my 9xr pro
Umm, really?

Spektrum is a brand of the single largest company in the hobby today (Horizon Hobby), and one known far and wide for its excellent support.

They aren't perfect (and frankly, they suck at app development and their receiver guys need to push a couple needed updates), but you can't call them shady.

Now HobbyKing/Turnigy, the makers of your 9XR Pro, can certainly be called shady (they got caught lying to the FCC last year).
Apr 21, 2017, 10:13 AM
HH customer service is light years ahead of H/K.