Sep 01, 2017, 06:18 PM
I smell lithium now
The pre drilled hole pattern will fit the 4-tec though.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2018, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Ah dang that sucks on the Challenger bodies!! That would have been sweet

What is y'alls favorite? The Ford GT or Mustang GT??
Digging this thread out of the grave.....I have new interest in this car, and HH says it is discontinued, so even though they are still available elsewhere, I assume it is not long before they are rare.

I have a Mustang GT 1:1 so you'd think the Mustang would be the choice, but I hate black body RC cars...especially for the street! I want to run something that stands out from the black/grey road. So the red Ford GT looks more appealing. The body is a work of art.

Now they have the BL chassis, but then want $99 for the body! Would be cheaper to buy the brushed and just add a BL system. Velineon BL system is pricey, esecially next to the Kinexsis for half the price, but I think you do get what you pay for.

Traxxas is pricey...but reliable IMO.
Jan 31, 2018, 11:48 AM
DFS#000178
That probably just means that Traxxas has a new SKU coming out for it and Horizon is discontinuing the old SKU.
Jan 31, 2018, 12:12 PM
I have the 4tec BL chassis arriving tomorrow! . Bought a Vaterra Drifter Mustang K&N body for it. Wheelbase is identical, so I have high hopes for a good fit.
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:12 AM.
Jan 31, 2018, 02:56 PM
DFS#000178
I will say that the Vaterra '69 Camaro body a couple of pages back looked absolutely freaking killer.

I'd love to know what the offset on those wheels was.
Jan 31, 2018, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
Would be cheaper to buy the brushed and just add a BL system. Velineon BL system is pricey, esecially next to the Kinexsis for half the price, but I think you do get what you pay for.
I think the brushless version has more adjustability, like turnbuckles and stuff!
Jan 31, 2018, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I will say that the Vaterra '69 Camaro body a couple of pages back looked absolutely freaking killer.

I'd love to know what the offset on those wheels was.
I think all the Vaterra bodies are supposed to be a great fit, especially since the wheelbase is the same. Accoording to the instructions, you can even lengthen or shorten the wheelbase on the chassis, but I haven't gone too far into that. I had a lot of stuff come in today, so my head was spinning.

My BL chassis arrived today...it looks nice! Will pair it to my TQi and program via bluetooth module. The app works great!

Quote:
I think the brushless version has more adjustability, like turnbuckles and stuff!
Yes! Adjustable turnbuckles, steel driveshaft (vs. aluminum), and high speed tires...I think they are gummier or something. Not to mention the Velineon system.

Also comes with TQM stabilizer system...not sure if the brushed has that or not.
Jan 31, 2018, 11:52 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
I think all the Vaterra bodies are supposed to be a great fit, especially since the wheelbase is the same. Accoording to the instructions, you can even lengthen or shorten the wheelbase on the chassis, but I haven't gone too far into that. I had a lot of stuff come in today, so my head was spinning.

My BL chassis arrived today...it looks nice! Will pair it to my TQi and program via bluetooth module. The app works great!

Yes! Adjustable turnbuckles, steel driveshaft (vs. aluminum), and high speed tires...I think they are gummier or something. Not to mention the Velineon system.

Also comes with TQM stabilizer system...not sure if the brushed has that or not.
The brushed version also comes with the TSM.

I don't think there is too much difference in the actual "rubber" on the VXL tires. I think it's the foam inside which is firmer so the tires don't balloon as much at higher speeds.
Feb 01, 2018, 03:34 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
I think all the Vaterra bodies are supposed to be a great fit, especially since the wheelbase is the same. Accoording to the instructions, you can even lengthen or shorten the wheelbase on the chassis, but I haven't gone too far into that.
Most of the time (not sure about this chassis but on lots of others) adjusting wheelbase is as easy as:

1) Flipping the rear suspension arms around. That's how it was done on the old RS4s. The arms had a sweep to them so if they were one direction you had a short wheelbase, flipped around you had a long wheelbase.

2) Moving a spacer/washer infront of/behind the bulkhead. This moved the entire suspension arm forward or back, adjusting the wheelbase in the process.

These were the common methods of adjusting wheelbase that I've seen over the years. There were others, but on most 4wd cars I've seen, either belt-driven or shaft-drives, were done this way.
Feb 01, 2018, 08:04 AM
I read the online manual last night......wheelbase can be adjusted as much as 3mm by cutting the spacer where the arm connects to the chassis, and moving the spacer to the other end. Can only be done on the rear.
Feb 01, 2018, 01:47 PM
Quote:
I think the nicer parts are worth the price obviously the VXL system, but the other parts too. Will be sturdier

Quote:
I read the online manual last night......wheelbase can be adjusted as much as 3mm by cutting the spacer where the arm connects to the chassis, and moving the spacer to the other end. Can only be done on the rear.
Interesting. What would be the point of this?? To make a body fit better?
Feb 01, 2018, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I think the nicer parts are worth the price obviously the VXL system, but the other parts too. Will be sturdier

Interesting. What would be the point of this?? To make a body fit better?
Q: 1) I opened the rx box to bind to my multi model TQi tx and surprise! There is a voltage telemetry lead already attached! So I had to go ahead and order a voltage/ heat sensor to make use of it. Nice surprise! I also found a phone mount on Amazon that I think will work since the Traxxas one is sold out everywhere.

Q: 2) If you ever attached a body that was a bit off you'd be happy the wheelbase is adjustable. Ever see a body where the rear wheels touch the back of the wheel well, and the front wheels touch the front of the wheel wells? When you get the wheels perfectly centered in the wheelwells, it's a beautiful thing. . Not all 200mm bodies are all the same....many have wheelbase variations, that...however small, can really make a body look "off"
Apr 29, 2018, 01:14 AM
How does the 4-Ttec 2.0 stand in comparison to other streetcars ( HPI / Tamiya / ...) within the same price range ?

I’ve been driving RC cars for a year now. I started with a second hand Rustler (brushed) that I’ve upgraded to a brushless. I use it for on-road and off-road driving (on 2S).
I 'm thinking about buying a on-road car for driving the street and parking lot.
I have no intention to race it.

I consider buying the 4-Tec brushed version (I have a spare Castle Creation Sidewinder 3 with 4800KV engine that I can use for upgrading later).
Last edited by StijnH; Apr 29, 2018 at 01:42 AM.
Apr 29, 2018, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StijnH
How does the 4-Ttec 2.0 stand in comparison to other streetcars ( HPI / Tamiya / ...) within the same price range ?

Iíve been driving RC cars for a year now. I started with a second hand Rustler (brushed) that Iíve upgraded to a brushless. I use it for on-road and off-road driving (on 2S).
I 'm thinking about buying a on-road car for driving the street and parking lot.
I have no intention to race it.

I consider buying the 4-Tec brushed version (I have a spare Castle Creation Sidewinder 3 with 4800KV engine that I can use for upgrading later).
I have the 4tec VXL and VXL Traxxas Bandit with anaconda street tires. That is the only comparison I can make.

4tec:
PROS:
Fast and light.
Looks awesome...I have both bodies for it.
TSM is crucial...with no TSM it's uncontrollable. With 20-40% TSM...an awesome car that drifts in turns. Anything over 60% it starts acting funny. TSM is controlled from 0-100% with knob on tx...very convenient.

CONS:
Chassis is really low....even a small pebble will kick up the car. Need a really smooth area to run.
$$$$$.......VXL is like $350 chassis, plus $100 for the GT body. ( also got the Traxxas Mustang body and painted it to match my 1:1 Vaterra Mustang body was too narrow and bound the front tires...sold it on ebay before ever using it)

4tec VXL has upgraded components the brushed does not, like a steel driveshaft to handle the torque, and better tire compound....a few other upgrades I think as well.

VXL Bandit:
Pros:
Super fast!!
Handles like an Indy car on street tires.
Almost impossible to flip.
Good ground clearance and can handle any surface.

Cons
NONE!

-----If you are looking for a great street car and want to save money, just get yourself a set of "Anaconda Street tires" and slap them on the Rustler.

If you want a really cool looking car, the 4tec is beautiful.

I never got an HPI as I do not like the idea of a belt driven drivetrain.
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Apr 29, 2018, 03:04 PM
@ Hugo Flynow
Thanx for your response !!
It gives a good insight of the key elements (including the info about the TSM)

I use G-locs on my rustler for on-road.
I really like this car, it's very versatile.

Quick Reply