Feb 13, 2017, 04:04 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Sinohobby Mini-Q TR-Q7

There's no point starting a new thread so here it is, the long awaited Sinohobby Mini-Q Q7.

Sinohobby Mini-Q Q7 Review (bought from Banggood) [4K] (7 min 5 sec)

Photos:

The examples of shoddy quality:
Bent body catcher/ body mount.

Unnecessary spacers that damage the top deck.

Price on Banggood
- 109 USD, RTR
- 99 USD, ARR

RTR package content
- Sinohobby Mini-Q Q7 with 2 in 1 (receiver + ESC) unit equipped with onroad slick tyres.
- Flysky GT2F Transmitter
- 2S 400mAh 25C Lipo Battery
- USB Charger
- Masking sticker for windows and lights
- Sticker for lights and grills
- Rear wing

Specifications
- 1/28 scale
- 98mm wheel base (adjustable from 90mm to 102mm)
- Carbon fiber chassis, 2mm thickness
- Full ball bearings
- Metal swing shafts
- 0 offset wheels, front 8.5mm, rear 11mm
- Slick rubber tyres
- Brushed motor
- Aluminium differential case
- 17T Pinion
- 29T Spur
- Gear differential on both front and rear
- Adjustable camber, toe, ride height and spring tension
- 5G digital servo
- Weight 122g without battery, 142g with battery
- Lightweight clear body for 98mm wheelbase

The car was bind to the remote from the factory. There’s no manual but all you need to do is the usual by turning on the remote first and then the car. Much to my surprise all the switches are at ON position! There aren’t any clear marking so I didn’t know that. I put the battery in Transmitter and BOOM! It’s on. I plugged the battery in the car and the light came on immediately.

The body is the touring car style like the body from 1/10. I can’t quite make out what the car is it but I guess it is Honda Accord. It has windows and lights masking which is great. The body is very wide, even 2.5mm offset wheel can’t fill it. I tried putting it on WLtoys and it is perfect fit at least for the width, not body poles.

On to the car, first thing I notice is diffs are nice and tight, almost like ball diff level of tightness. Honestly I thought they would need a rebuild with thick grease. But I guess this is typical for Mini-Q because I bought a spare and it has the same tightness. Good job, Sinohobby!
Anyway, my car is going to get drift makeover so I’m not particularly concern about standard diff but I think you should know because I guess most people are going to use it for racing.

The included charger really works. The input power is 5V 0.8A. It charges the battery to 8.4V and 4.2V per cell. Actually I had a bad experience with small charger overcharge before so I was a bit skeptical about using the included charger. But this one will go with me everywhere.

Voltage output to servo is 5.02V. The servo is fast and precise. They claim that it is digital servo and I believe that it is.
Steering linkages and toe adjustment use 3.5mm ball head. Knuckles and shocks use 4mm ball head. Everything is adjustable down to wheelbase.

The Drive With Stock Setup
It has good grip through tight corner with slight lift off oversteer. The car changes direction without the weights to fling it out or to do anything unexpected.
I don't do much TC so I can't comment much further. Let's talk about drifting with this chassis
The only thing I did was changing the wheels and tyres for drift tyres. But this one is a bit special. The wheels are Atomic AMZ 2.5mm offset and the tyres are Drift Street (DS Racing, yes, that company that make drift tyres for living) F2 compound. They are bloody difficult to find so I don't use them much in case I wear them out and can't find replacement. Anyway let's continue.
Turn in is as expect from open diff all round, a bit lazy and not sharp. Once it start to slip it can maintain the momentum all the way without shooting the car out off the line. Transition is, again, lazy from the diff but it doesn't do anything unexpected. It cope with constant direction change very well and can carry momentum without shooting the car out the other way unexpectedly.
A very pleasant drifting experience indeed. Even with stock setup it drifts better than a fully modded Mini-Z AWD with gyro.

The good
- Reasonably price for a competition level car.
- Available both as RTR and ARR.
- Carbon fiber chassis, very strong and light.
- Metal swing shaft (CVD/ dog bones)
- Full ball bearings.
- Fully adjustable camber, toe, ride height and spring tension without the need to buy additional parts.
- 3 Wires digital servo (again, I take their word for it... the servo is super smooth though).
- Compatible with some Mini-Q Q3 to Q6 spare parts, most importantly compatible with spur ger for adjusting wheelbase.
- Compatible with Kyosho Mini-Z AWD parts such as differential, swing shaft, wheels. Also presumably compatible with Mini-Z AWD DWS springs too.
- Compatible with Kyosho Mini-Z Autoscale Body from 90mm to 102mm wheelbase.
- Low Voltage Cutoff of 2 in 1 unit actually works.

The bad
- No manual or standard setup guide included
- MAJOR DESIGN FLAW! Rear toe change when suspension move up and down
- Not very well build out of the factory, some screws were not properly tighten, strange spacer at the rear that bend the upper deck upwards. And most severely the car doesn’t turn left and right equally. Lucky all of this can be fixed by rebuilding the car.
- Some quality issue like bent body catcher, loose ball cap at suspension arms generate a bit of slop but not too severe.
- Very short servo arm but very long steering knuckle arm so the turning angle is very limited, again this can be fixed easily by replacing servo arm. But out of the box it's much worse than Q3 to Q6.

Final verdict:
This is not a car for beginner. You need to have some tools like hex screw driver to rebuild the car. Also you might want to take a note before take everything apart because it doesn’t have manual or setup guide. Even though the build quality is questionable and design flaw at rear toe, the car itself is fantastic. Once I sorted out the problems the performance is stable and I dare say it's miles better than Kyosho Mini-Z AWD.

Hard question: Q7 or AMZ?
Tough choice! Choosing between these two is like choosing between Serpent and Xray. Just go to your local track and see what they run there. Take a look at the competition you want to enter to see which chassis is allowed. But for pure fun with tinkering with setup I wholeheartedly recommend the Mini-Q Q7.

----- Modding/Fixing Video Library ----------------------------
Q7 video will be published once every 2 weeks. It's actually a new video each week on my Youtube channel alternating between Q7 and other cars. I'll try my hardest to make it happen until I run out the parts or the things to do.

1st Mod: Servo arm. The biggest offender of this car for drifters.
Mini-Q Q7 First Mod/Fix: Servo Arm & Drifting Footage (4 min 21 sec)

2nd Mod: Front one way and rear locked differentials.
Mini-Q Q7 2nd Mod: Front One Way and Rear Locked Differential +Drifting Footage (6 min 21 sec)

3rd Mod: Shorten wheelbase to 90 mm
Mini-Q Q7 3rd Mod: Changing Wheelbase to 90 mm (6 min 16 sec)

How to cut a body
How to Cut RC Clear Body & Prep for Painting (4 min 2 sec)

4th Mod: It's a biggie! Countersteer (CS), and introduction to countersteer for beginner
Introduction to RC Drift Countersteer (CS) Mod & Mini-Q Q7 CS (8 min 13 sec)

Not a mod but what I've always wanted to do; use a Mini-Z body on my car.
Introduction to Mini-Z Auto Scale white body & How to use it on Mini-Q (4 min 43 sec)

Mini-Z Auto Scale Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R Drift (3 min 32 sec)

Now that the video is done, this body will live happily ever after on my shelf of honour alongside my Tamiya Mini 4WD collection.

Finally the final verdict and the end of off-the-shelf parts drift project. Enough videos for now, I'm taking a break to finish my thesis and prepare for defense.
Mini-Q Q7 Drift March 2018 Setup & Final Verdict (8 min 4 sec)

5th Mod, It's time to make custom mod.
I'm raising the CS ratio from off the shelf kit of 1.75 to 2.0.
[DIY] How to make CS drift gear for Mini-Q and Mini-Z (6 min 8 sec)

6th Mod, How to bind Flysky GT3C Transmitter to Mini-Q
How To Bind Flysky GT3C to Mini-Q (3 min 33 sec)

------------ February 2017 --------------------------------
Mini-Q just posted this on its Facebook page.
No information at the moment, just a picture.

Looks like drift car judging from tyres.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Update: It's here!
- Carbon fibre chassis
- Brushed motor
- 3 wires servo
- Adjustable spring tension, camber, toe
- Wheels are standard issue front 8.5mm, rear 11mm
- Rubber tyres (touring car)
- 98mm wheelbase as standard, adjustable from 90mm to 102mm with spur gear just like in Q3 to withQ6

RTR version
Flysky GT2F & 2-in-1 unit
https://goo.gl/7XgTrD

ARR version:
Brushed
https://goo.gl/AFwj9N

Brushless
https://goo.gl/Ch5WQh

And already competing; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Last edited by Beaver_XT; Nov 03, 2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: updates
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2017, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_XT
Looks like drift car judging from tyres.
Ya reckon??

Sino Hobby seem to have decent wee cars, very similar to WLToys 1/28 scale but more on-road and more hop-ups.... https://www.facebook.com/rcminiq/
Feb 13, 2017, 05:45 AM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend_UK
Ya reckon??
I dearly hope.

Those are drift tyres but the chassis loos like very competent and adjustable touring car.
I guess the price would be the same as TR-Q5OP and include both grip and drift tyres.

Sinohobby have been making good and cheap 1/27, 1/28 cars for a while now except the TR-Q5OP, that's too expensive for what it is.
Q3 (Turnigy TZ4), Q5 (TZ4 Drift) are widely popular. With this new one with double wishbone suspension it should rival AMZ especially if the price turn out to be what I expect. It'll be in the direct firing line of AMZ.
But if anyone want DWS for cheap... WL is the way.

I hope this small scale will become more popular for years to come.
Last edited by Beaver_XT; Feb 13, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
Feb 13, 2017, 10:08 AM
Def. Buying this
Feb 13, 2017, 10:09 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
It certainly looks nice!
Feb 13, 2017, 10:29 PM
It looks like there using kyosho mao-10 mini z rear up adjustable arms all around and atomic amz shocks.it looks good just wish mini q would use a better battery holder I hate the black band

Hope more pics come out
Feb 18, 2017, 08:27 PM
Talk to Kevin from mini q he said this car should be out early March
Feb 19, 2017, 10:18 AM
Buggy in style
That 2in1 ESC receiver looks exactly like the one used in the WLToys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Feb 19, 2017, 10:31 AM
All the Chinese companies use the same plastic box.but some use flysky radio hope this one does to.but I would def. Going to put a brushless set up in this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
That 2in1 ESC receiver looks exactly like the one used in the WLToys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Feb 19, 2017, 12:30 PM
Low budget fun
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamar6
Talk to Kevin from mini q he said this car should be out early March
Very good news!... Right before spring
Jun 28, 2017, 11:07 PM
They just emailed me said banggood should sell these in July....hopefully they had esc problems
Jul 06, 2017, 10:45 AM
Any word on whether it will have a servo or not?
Jul 06, 2017, 06:05 PM
If u go on there face book page there's more pics
Jul 09, 2017, 12:30 AM
Maybe itís just me, but itís hard to tell from those pics.
Jul 12, 2017, 01:05 PM
There testing the car July 17 at a rc show hopefully it will come out soon

Quick Reply