Hooked on converting old radios to 2.4 . - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by mike912e, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 12, 2017, 11:15 PM
Discussion

Hooked on converting old radios to 2.4 .

My first conversion is a Hitec Laser 5 SystemX . What a great radio. I would suggest that some of you glider guys take a look at this one . Lots of usefull features like putting throttle on a switch rather than throttle stick . It has a seperate menu just for gliders . Not bad for a radio that's over 25 years old . I have also secured many different radios and will post them here as I complete the conversion and restoration work . I also remove all of the compoents from the case, clean and reassemble . Many older radios were put away without removing the nicad packs which can destroy parts of the case and lots of the wiring . When a corroded part is removed I soak it in a mixture of 50-50 brown vinegar and salt . Leave the part in to soak depending how corroded it is sometimes overnight . When you remove it from the acid soak have a container of baking soda and water and immerse the part in the base liquid . Then after it appears that all of the acid has been neutralized run fresh water over for a minute or so, using a soft brush to knock off any tough spots . Dry the part either by air or use your heat gun . I use two old lidded plastic containers and keep the lid on between uses for the acid and base liquids .
Added pics of Cirrus and Aristo-Craft radios that have been restored and await their 2.4 components . By the way, the Aristo-Craft Hitec radio was before Hitec was it's own brand and is not poaitive shift like Futaba . It is negative shift like JR radios . So a Futaba TM-7 module will not work to convert to 2.4 ghz . A Frsky Diy kit using Accst protocall will convert it . I haven't tried a JR module because I want to stock only Fasst or Accst receivers . I have Futaba 2.4 radios , all on Fasst so having my converted radios all on Accst means I only have to purchase two types of receivers . To be continued...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2017, 05:10 PM
yank and bank!!
Thats pretty cool...... in general, how do the pots hold up in those old radios? Do you replace them or are they still going strong?
Feb 27, 2017, 12:34 AM

Pots ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
Thats pretty cool...... in general, how do the pots hold up in those old radios? Do you replace them or are they still going strong?
Never got notice that you posted . Sorry . No issues so far with any of the components .
Apr 06, 2017, 07:07 PM
All Thumbs
Sent PM. Nice work!!