This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 12, 2017, 05:22 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

More refurbished micros

In addition to the resurrected Twister Police Helicam converted into a Blade CX4 presented in my last blog, these six micros are also refurbished and flying once more. The Skyartec Wasp Nano CP helicopter at left and the Helizone Thunderbird to its right are previous review subjects. So too was the green Cheerson FX-10 nano quad.

That Estes Proto X was my first ever micro quad and it's been rebuilt a few times over the years. Only the frame is original; I gave its transmitter to my son to replace the missing unit from his own. I'm flying it on a discarded transmitter given to me by my local hobby shop. Everything else is brand new and it flies like new as well. Once those motor mounts get tweaked, these little quads won't fly properly until they're replaced.

What looks like an orange FX-10 started life as an Estes Proto N used as a demo sample from that same hobby shop. It was less than a year old per the transmitter's date code, but it already had a burned out battery, a broken shell, three burned out motors and three missing propellers. At least it had a working transmitter with batteries and the FC board worked perfectly. That was given to me as a possible parts source for the green FX-10 and while the motors and props are available as service parts, the shells and flight batteries are not. I got those from overseas as well as a new shell for the actual FX-10 once it needs its battery needs replacing.

The little Helizone coaxial chopper was in need of a new built-in li-po and a bit of work to free up the stuck linear servos after sitting in a box in my garage for a couple of years. It had been set aside even before that because of the battery. The new, upgraded 240mAh battery flies it seemingly forever and I charge it via an adapter I made for my computerized charger.

The tiny IR-controlled Syma S6 coaxial chopper also received a new battery some time ago, but it wouldn't take a charge. Neither would the new battery I'd installed; I'd originally ordered a pair of batteries and the model sat in a dresser drawer for a long time. The charging jack turned out to be the problem, so I installed a new jack to bypass it. It too charges up with my big charger.

Last up is the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP. This is a fun little machine when it's flying, but even slight vibration of the main rotor causes the gyros to go totally whacked. It got an infusion of new parts and it's nearly dialed in.

So, for relatively little money amortized out over about three months, I now have six new micros which had otherwise been taking up space! Another Thunderbird is waiting for a new battery which I'll order soon. Of course, there's also the Police Helicam converted to a Blade CX4 which I mentioned earlier, so that makes seven!

My suggestion to those with a few cheapie RTFs lounging around the house would be to chose one, research the cost, order the parts...and have fun!
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Feb 12, 2017 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply