Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 11, 2017, 01:43 AM
I have a chance to see the v3 in Poway and the quality is very nice but pity I was so busy and didn't have a chance to launch it and fly it. Maybe next time when I see gorilla or some other pilots. I will love to rock this baby.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV
So you're saying if I throw the Vibe to 60m already, I'll get 90m with the Vortex 3?

Must be an incredible model.
Maybe I did not had good technique on the vibe but, since september/october I have not fly a thing, nor DLG nor other planes.
So after, how much? 7-8 month to launch it from the 1st flights at 62 meters constantly i think it is a very big jump.
I feel this plane fits me better then any I had before.
May 11, 2017, 04:23 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Olvi, I'm happy you like the V3

Got some news from Denis, with a little luck, the wing mechanics should be debuged by the end of next week so WC pilots should have their models sent out real soon. After that the V3 will officially start production!
The 2 piece wing will come next, hopefully it will be ready by the WC and presented there.

I hope to have some pics and vids available in a few days of the mechanics and assembly along with some other interesting features.

Cheers
May 13, 2017, 12:19 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Check out the inverted turnaround at 2:50...

Vortex 3 "Gorilla Radio" (3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by roydor; May 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
May 14, 2017, 05:24 AM
here is my today`s flights .. not in my perfect mood but still it was a nice day.
May 16, 2017, 03:40 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Vortex 3 pre production auto mating aileron system completed it's bench tests.
Works perfectly, 13 mm aileron and 40 mm flap movement, stiff and with extremely low backlash, comparable to the best top drive installations.
Made with aviation grade aluminium 7075 it is super strong and light.
In a couple of weeks this system will be available on all Vortex 3 models as they enter full production. Final system will have small modifications compared to the pre production system, mostly in finish.

Vortex 3 pre production auto-mating aileron system (1 min 3 sec)
May 18, 2017, 06:58 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Some pics of the automating system.

There is a rib system pre installed inside the fuse and a set of pushrods which will be premade on one side only to allow the modeller to adjust the pushrod length to his chosen servo and servo installation.
The rib system has a dual purpose, to support the pushrod and keep them in the correct position and to retain the ballast so it doesn't move around and interfere with the aileron system.
The ballast system can be long and I have up to 100 grams of ballast available in mine, can have more if I use larger diameter ballast but don't see myself ever using that much.

The rib system has 2 short tubes installed to allow the strings to the tail to be routed away from the system.

The entire weight penalty for the system vs 4 in a pod without an automating system is just 3 - 4 grams and this also includes a ballast "tube" (compared to a 4 in a pod with a tube it's just around 2 grams extra)

I made some clips of my install and will put them together to show the system and also to have instructions of assembly to the WC pilots who should be getting models soon.

Roy
May 18, 2017, 07:27 AM
I know the Inside out.....
Thanks, for posting these pics!

Symplicity equals reliability!

And it is also very nice to get confirmation that the large part of the system is factory installed, really good!
May 18, 2017, 08:09 AM
1 revolution and throw!
nice to see more details.

i considered the same lay-out of this auto mating system when i designed it for the xxlite/helios2.
i never considered a factory install at that time.
very important the 2 ribs are glued well! especially because the ballast will guide thru it aswell .

this was the reason i went another direction , in the heat of the game when ballast (under stress) is exchanged one needs to take care at all time that the rib does not get loose or damaged , otherwise the whole system jams .

it is very important the rib is solid and solidly glued in .(which can be done offcourse)

i had a look at the metal clevis'es aswell , it's a tight fit and requires perfect alignment .
May 18, 2017, 08:42 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Roy,

Nice photos. Definitely ups my 'want one' factor.

How easy/difficult is it to get the strings through the tubes when installing the tails?

Wayne
May 18, 2017, 10:17 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thanks for the tip Kristof.
The rib is difficult to damage because the cage guides it and it doesn't touch the aft rib directly but I will look into it and make sure it is well glued.

Wayne,

It is surprisingly easy. I threaded the string from the back, fished it out the holes on yhe top with tweezers and threaded the tubes. I was sure it would be difficult but it took me less than a minute
May 18, 2017, 11:04 AM
Well done! Amazing to see a concept getting established. And it's only going to get better over time. Hassle free building, maintanence, transport, and assembly, I'm guessing, is becoming a serious selling point alongside flight characteristics.

Joseph
May 18, 2017, 02:47 PM
Great stuff!
May 18, 2017, 07:22 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Thanks Roy. I hadn't noticed before the proximity of the tubes to the holes. Looks easy peasy after all.

Wayne
May 19, 2017, 12:58 PM
Time for me to Fly...
If it flies as good as it looks, this is going to be very popular. The easier it is to assemble and maintain, the better, IMHO. I'm glad to see someone taking on those attributes.